Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 5th Graders Ski or Ride free, 2014/2015 at Stevens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 7:14 pm 
5th Graders Ski or Ride Free

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 am 
Suckering poor families into buying their kids $$$ equipment know that the kids will want to keep skiing (and paying for it) after 5th grade...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 am 
you can outfit a kid pretty cheap if you pick your way through a few decent Goodwills. The real hammer is the ludicrous ticket prices

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 am 
I've always wondered....why are ticket prices so expensive? Is the lease on the F.S. land expensive?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 11:30 am 
touron wrote:
I've always wondered....why are ticket prices so expensive?
Because that's what people are willing to pay

contour5

contour5
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 am 
Seasons Passes are still a pretty good deal...

touron

touron
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
touron wrote:
I've always wondered....why are ticket prices so expensive?
Because that's what people are willing to pay
As P.T. Barnum said, "A skier is born every minute." biggrin.gif Hmmm
Quote:
"They're chasing existing customers who have the money to spend rather than going after new customers," said Roger Marolt, a lifelong skier and Aspen resident. "They're creating all these expensive amenities to attract them, which drives the price of skiing up even further."
Still, if I was in 5th grade, I would be pestering my parents for some ski trips! Free is always the right price. In fact right now I am rechecking my report cards to see whether I really ever passed 5th grade. I remember Language Arts being pretty tough that year. Like what is a linking verb or a predicate adjective? Who knows, I might be able to ski for free.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Mt Baker has has a "fifth graders free" program for years. Mission Ridge has the "3-0" program -- students with a 3.0 or better GPA on their last quarter get tickets for $30 (vs $45 regular price for 10-24 year olds) Inreresting social engineering / marketing. Ski areas (at least in PNW) actually don't make that much money on ticket sales -- they kind of break even on operational costs and ticket / pass sales. The profit centers are the snack bar, the pub and real estate development near the ski area -- great example of this are the new $600K houses going in next to Summit West.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 4:57 pm 
Real estate doesn't make money for ski areas in Washington because the ski areas are all on leased FS land and the companies that run the ski areas don't necessarily own whatever small patches of private land may exist nearby. Very different model than the Colorado and California areas. There is almost no private land anywhere near Stevens Pass, so Stevens has to make it's money off tickets and concession sales. One of the largest developments at Snoqualmie is owned by the guy who owns Evo Gear. And if you think tickets in WA are expensive, you've clearly never been to Jackson Hole.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 pm 
I was wrong about the houses for sale next to summit west -- the cheapest one isn't $600K -- it's $873K -- the rest are between $1.1M and $1.35M LINK There are a bunch of private homes just east of Stevens -- Which were originally developed by the same group of investors of the Yodelin ski area Have you checked the prices of houses along Lake Wenatchee lately? Mission Ridge has a lot of ski houses along it's access road -- Mt Baker has many houses and condo/timeshare developments along HWY-542. Real Estate development is definitely a factor in the planning and development of a ski resort. In the fancier ski areas often have very high "day ticket" prices -- both to encourage people to purchase "lift and lodging" packages and to discourage "riff-raff" locals from skiing at the resort. Deer Valley is now charging $120 per day betweeb xmas and new years. At Beaver Creek its $129 per day.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 11:00 pm 
Lake Wenatchee? You might as well talk about properties on Lake Sammamish too, and North Bend, and the small communities along Hiway 542... My point is the companies that own the ski areas in washington do not own and therefore do not profit directly from large real estate developments. The ONLY money these companies make in WA is from the sales of tickets and merchandise/food at their base areas. Yes, having available real estate within driving distance is what allows people to come ski there, but the area owners do not develop and profit directly from real estate development. This is distinctly different from many of the large resorts in other areas of the country that do own large tracts of real estate at the base areas and do profit directly from it's development (think Squaw, Kirkwood, Mammoth, Jackson Hole, Vail, Steamboat, Whistler, etc. and to a smaller degree other areas like Snowbird, Solitude, Alta, etc). Washington's ski areas are not "destination resorts" where you can stay right at the mountain and your hotel/condo fees go in part or all to the resort owners. Crystal is as close as it gets to this in WA, but there isn't enough property there to make it a true destination.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Washington's ski areas are not "destination resorts" where you can stay right at the mountain
Agreed -- the bulk of "on mountain" accomidations in WA consists of RV parking areas. Only a fool would book a 1 week ski vacation in Washington -- it could end up raining most of that week. The Early Winters Resort had the potential to be a successful destination resort in Washington -- but determined local opposition prevented that development.
Quote:
The debate began in 1974, when the Aspen Corp. chose this site in the Okanogan National Forest--about 120 miles, as the crow flies, northeast of Seattle--over 300 sites nationwide for a destination ski resort. Aspen thought conditions were ideal. The snow was dry and deep, and the scenery a magnificent mix of pine groves and mountain meadows. Ski runs would be built on Sandy Butte, a mountain with 4,000 vertical feet of skiable terrain. Real estate development, the crux of a profitable modern ski resort, could occur on 1,200 acres of private land at the mountain's base. Resort opponents also considered this place ideal--as is. They conceded that it was hard to make a living, but said the rugged isolation was what drew them here. Deer outnumbered the valley's 3,500 residents by six to one, and Early Winters opponents didn't want that changed by hotels, condominiums, two golf courses, lodges, restaurants and up to 8,000 skiers a day.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm 
Just to be a contrarian, I'd say if you want to come and ski in WA you should schedule *at least* a week. It could very well be raining 2-3 days and snowing or clear the rest of the time. It would suck to schedule a 2-3 day trip and have it rain those three days but be nice before and after. I'm just glad I live here so I can go whenever the going's good. biggrin.gif I always stress out about ski trips to other places since I figure I'm going to be bummed if I burn the money and vacation days to go somewhere and they have crap weather while I'm there. So far I've been pretty lucky when going out of state.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
or clear the rest of the time.
Ha Ha! Well sometimes it happens. I've had good results with the B.C. Interior on "Family Ski Vacations".

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
or clear the rest of the time.
Ha Ha! Well sometimes it happens. I've had good results with the B.C. Interior on "Family Ski Vacations".
Never done BC interior. Definitely on my list of "want to" places to go, but I'm scared of crossing the border. Something about being pulled out of my car at gunpoint, cuffed, having my shoes removed and being tossed in a cell for an hour with no explanation while violently hung over left a bad taste in my mouth about it. Not even a "we're sorry for the inconvenience Mr. Baker" when they let me out either. Just a "here's your shoes, your car's parked over there" (partially disassembled.) The resorts accessible from SLC in the Cottonwood Canyons have always treated me right, and the ticket prices are no worse than here. Yeah, you have to put up with the weirdness that is SLC, but it's worth it for a few days of great skiing for reasonable prices.