Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 5th Graders Ski or Ride free, 2014/2015 at Stevens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 9:15 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Definitely on my list of "want to" places to go, but I'm scared of crossing the border. Something about being pulled out of my car at gunpoint, cuffed, having my shoes removed and being tossed in a cell for an hour with no explanation while violently hung over left a bad taste in my mouth about it. Not even a "we're sorry for the inconvenience Mr. Baker" when they let me out either. Just a "here's your shoes, your car's parked over there" (partially disassembled.)
I've generally had a pretty easy time getting across the border -- borh directions. Three crossings over the last 4 decades have been a bit more involved. 1) In the late '70s a kayaking buddy and I headed up to Mike Neckar's to rent a kayak mold. Coming back the same day, when the US border guard asked how our kayak trip was - being foolish teenagers -- we answered -- that's a mold, not a kayak. We spent the next hour or so explaining that we were just renting the mold and besides we didn't have the money to pay import duty on the full value of the mold. Eventually they just let us go. 2) I took my youngest son (12 at the time) to Whistler and his mom stayed home about a decade ago. The Candian border patrol asked if I had a letter from his mom. Seems that running to Canada is an all too common dodge in custody battles. They interviewed my son separately for about ten minutes and were satified that mom and dad weren't splitting up. 3) Two years ago I was crossing the border with a bunch of folks heading up for a hut trip. The first car go through quickly, but after reviewing the passports of the people in my car, they asked use to pull into the waiting area. Seems one of the people had been arrested while in college in Colorado for MJ possession. Never convicted -- the CBP spent a bunch of time reviewing records and interviewing the guy and then let us proceed. We didn't have to rip apart the car. On a lighter note, I was talking with some WWU students while staying at another BC hut about 4 years ago -- when they crossed the border the CBP asked them: CBP: You guys don't have any pot with you do you? Skier: Umm No.. CBP: Well good that would be like bringing sand to the beach! Have a good trip!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostTue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I was wrong about the houses for sale next to summit west -- the cheapest one isn't $600K -- it's $873K -- the rest are between $1.1M and $1.35M
That's not entirely true. These places are fairly resonable. A lot of it is property and condos but certainly some housing available for reasonable prices (compared to Seattle anyways, where I was raised and live). I only mention this because we were thinking of moving up there.

tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 pm 
A long time ago in a galaxy far away I went to seventh grade in Lake Hills. For one hundred bucks we got ten trips to Snoqualmia pass. lessons, tickets and transportation included. We had free ski time after noon. I learned on very long black Head skis. I mastered that crud they call snow and it set the tone for my skiing as an adult. They had bake sales and fund raisers so any kid that could not afford it still went. People were not wealthy there in 1970 mostly Boeing employees and mill workers.