Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Lookout Point, South Fork Snoqualmie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm 
I was hiking off I-90 Exit 45 Sunday and was struck by the sign for "Lookout Pt Rd.". I've looked at a lot of old maps and done some googling, but other than a lot of guide book instructions saying to get off at Lookout Point Road for these hikes, can't find anything more specific. As far as I can tell, nothing in this area was ever called Lookout Point. If I was to speculate, it would be that after the lower Bandera slopes were clearcut there was a great view of the valley from the upper end of the logging road. But that would have been a long time ago, because the road is already present in 1946. Can any old timers confirm?
Lookout Point Road sign
Lookout Point Road sign
1946 Kroll Atlas
1946 Kroll Atlas

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 pm 
I'm going to answer my own question after getting some help from Bill Davis.
On the 1960 15' Bandera USGS map, there was a spot called "Lookout" [point]. The map doesn't show a trail going there from the current location of Exit 45, only that it's on the Pratt Lake trail. Bill Davis pointed this out to me, and remembers that it was an "open sided cabin. Pretty trashed by late 60’s." If that part of the mountain had been recently burned or logged, it would have have been a good view point over the central S Snoqualmie valley. A 1952 Mountaineers map also shows a small lean-to symbol at the same spot. There must have been a trail connecting the road with the lookout at one point that never made it onto these maps.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 04, 2013 7:40 am 
According to Harvey Manning there was a fire on Bandarra in the1950's and the old Mason lake trail was a fire trail as was the old Bandarra trail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The old Mason lake trail was a fire trail
Yes, I vaguely remember reading that in the Footsore books. I'm not surprised because I've been reading material by Albert (Hal) Sylvester, a Wenatchee FS ranger/supervisor during the first half of the 1900's and getting into the mountains to fight fires was a big motivation for building roads and trails. It's also why he assigned so many names to the features -- so people could refer to a place by name to describe a fire location.

crock

crock
PostSun Aug 03, 2014 6:18 pm 
From the 1966 "100 Hikes in Western Washington", hike 6 (Pratt Lake, from now exit 47 off I-90. Trail #1039 from what is now exit 45 wasn't yet built then); "At 3 miles is another good resting spot, the Lookout Shelter, built as a memorial to a Seattle Boy Scout killed in World War II. The shelter has had hard, thoughtless usage, but enough remains to moderate the force of wind and rain." From the 8th printing (1971); "Lookout shelter has burned down. Near its site a new trail leads down to Talapus Lake."

kg7u

kg7u
PostFri Dec 19, 2014 5:14 am 
The Lookout Point shelter was in such bad shape that it was burned by the USFS North Bend Ranger District in the summer/early fall of 1971