Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What is alpenglow - a pet peeve
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 9:56 pm 
Misuse of this term is rampant and a small pet peeve of mine... Alpenglow is not necessarily any cute glowy sunset in the mountains. Strict alpenglow happen when the sun is below the horizon. Per the trusty wikipedia: "Since the Sun is below the horizon, there is no direct path for the light to reach the mountain. Instead, light reflects off airborne snow, water, or ice particles low in the atmosphere. These conditions differentiate between a normal sunrise or sunset and alpenglow. Although the term may be loosely applied to any sunrise or sunset light seen on the mountains, true alpenglow is not direct sunlight and is only observed after sunset or before sunrise."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 10:08 pm 
I will continue to refer to any early or late light hitting a mountain as alpenglow anyway, thank you very much.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 pm 
Alp inflow is a very cool website of Skoog's. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 am 
respectfully, sir, I believe you are just going to have to continue being peeved, because I don't realistically see a majority rigidly adhering to the academic definition of the word. of course, if you'd rather be something other than peeved, you could be irritated, annoyed, vexed, angered, exasperated, irked, galled, piqued, nettled, or you could even try having your feathers ruffled. your choice. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Dec 13, 2014 7:18 am 
It must be cabin fever time.. lol.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Dec 13, 2014 8:34 am 
A rosy glow, at first scarce discernible, gradually deepened and suffused every mountain-top, flushing the glaciers and harsh crags above them. This was the alpenglow, to me one of the most impressive of all the terrestrial manifestations of God. At the touch of this divine light, the mountain seemed to kindle to a rapt, religious consciousness, and stood hushed and waiting like devout worshipers. John Muir in "God's First Temples: How shall we preserve our forests?"

cartman

cartman
PostSat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 am 
Big Chiwaukum sunset
Big Chiwaukum sunset
Snowgrass sunset
Snowgrass sunset
Alpenglow is what I say it is.

Chico

Chico
PostSat Dec 13, 2014 5:49 pm 
I prefer moonglow myself. Still remember some B movie years and years ago and I quote "It has to be moonglow." That statement was in the movie because there was a strange glow off in the distance. It being a B movie I'll let you ponder on what it actually was.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Dec 14, 2014 12:01 pm 
While I might agree with you, jaberwock, this isn't a battle you'll ever win. Not worth the trouble. There are other word misuses that are far more important to get ruffled feathers about.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Dec 15, 2014 1:34 am 
Alpenglow to me is just when the light hits the mountain and causes it to appear in a different hue, like a purpleish pink and such. Whether it is a true alpenglow or not, makes no difference to me. The sight is still amazing.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
gb

gb
PostMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 pm 
According to the definition alpenglow is indeed a rare occurrence. The very best alpenglow here happened in 1992-94 when ash from Pinatubo was ejected into the Stratosphere. About 35-45 minutes before sunrise the peaks and lower atmosphere would turn a brilliant magenta, fading in time to yellow just before sunrise. While these effects were very photogenic, alpenglow I've seen since then (except when clouds are lit in the direction of the sun) has been mostly pretty boring photographically; generally dark photos with less than spectacular light.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 11:43 am 
I hate it when people us the word "irregardless"

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
contour5

contour5
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 12:57 pm 
As an artificer of linguistic constructions, I, too, find the improper, albeit common usage of various terms to be wholly unsettling. Some linguistic gaffs are more sharply disturbing and unpleasant than others, however. I find myself relatively undisturbed by the insertion of the word "alpenglow" in place of the more appropriate phrase "golden hour". Irregardless, on the other hand, is an unconscionable evil, and must be dealt with swiftly and harshly; uprooted and annihilated with the most extreme prejudice possible.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm 
Quote:
Some linguistic gaffs are more sharply disturbing and unpleasant than others, however.
you mean like "gaffs" instead of "gaffes"? lol.gif indeed, "gaffs" would be "sharply disturbing".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Dec 16, 2014 1:38 pm 
alpenglow on a lake?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.