Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Hope all you Seattlites will enjoy your garbage police
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 1:17 pm 
Front page article, today's Seattle Times. Your garbage crew will check your garbage and soon begin to fine you. Seems like a perfect cap to that other thread. Your recycling scheme is not "Green". It's an expensive make-work system. It's not a good value. It's not a service, it's snooping. It's not becoming of a (formerly) free nation that values individual choices, including making your own decisions about even trivial tasks. Everyone's an informer, an agent of the state, even your garbage collectors. Good job "progressive" Seattle.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 1:39 pm 
Thanks for informing us about the article; otherwise, we'd never know about the new policy or how to recycle. It's all so new to us. wink.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 1:42 pm 
hey, Merry Christmas to you too! smile.gif
christmas_2014
christmas_2014

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:02 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Thanks for informing us about the article; otherwise, we'd never know about the new policy or how to recycle. It's all so new to us. wink.gif
Nice Sarcasm for "my mind has been open for so long that a hard shell has crusted over it."

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:20 pm 
Just curious, how often do they pick up this yard/food waste? Cause I gotta imagine that that can will reek badly just sitting around. That and I can imagine maggots crawling all over it.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Dante

Dante
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:28 pm 
"Clean green" gets picked up weekly with trash. Recycling gets picked up every other week. It can get nasty in the summer. Rotting grass clippings are the worst, IMO. I thought they were already enforcing recycling rules, but I've never heard of anyone getting busted. My biggest complaint with our trash collectors is they can't seem to keep their records straight. At least once or twice a year I get charged for "extra" garbage when I didn't leave any out. It usually takes a couple phone calls to resolve the problem when it happens.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:31 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
You are an angry, angry person. Merry Christmas. The recyclers already bust you for putting nonrecyclables in. The food waste doesn't stink too bad. It's not any different than having food waste in your garbage can for a week.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm 
Happy Hollidays H.C., always ready to add a little spittle and bile for everyone else. Good will to all men. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."

jimmylegs
"BRB...JK."
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:46 pm 
HunterConservationist wrote:
It's not a good value. It's not a service, it's snooping.
Then don't participate. Oh, wait, you're bitching about something that doesn't affect someone who lives in Renton.

guns don't kill people, blood loss and organ damage do.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:47 pm 
It's all the fault of those lazy peanut butter eaters that don't clean their jars or recycle them. dizzy.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 pm 
So much anger over someone elses' recycle program. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:53 pm 
HC: if it's of any consolation to you: several years ago Tacoma Public Utilities delivered small rectangular brown plastic "food waste" baskets to every house in the city. the idea was that we were supposed to put table scraps, clippings, peelings, and other discarded food waste into these little 7" x 6" x 10" injection-molded brown plastic boxes (which presumably we would keep either on our kitchen counters or under our kitchen sinks.) when they were filled, we were supposed to dump them into the yard waste bins (which are picked up every other week.) I put mine way up high on a shelf out in the far corner of the garage. a couple years later I got a knock at my front door. it was a representative from TPU who was taking a survey about services. one of the things he asked about was the little "food waste" basket. "Have you been using your food waste basket?" "Hell no. It's out in the garage. You want it back?" "Uh... no." "Does anybody actually use those things? What college boy dreamed up that scheme?" "Uh... no. Nobody uses them." But alas, this is the City of Destiny. We have no garbage police, no monorails, no multi-bazillion-dollar sports stadiums, and lots of empty parking spaces.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 3:10 pm 
HunterConservationist wrote:
Front page article, today's Seattle Times. Your garbage crew will check your garbage and soon begin to fine you. Seems like a perfect cap to that other thread. Your recycling scheme is not "Green". It's an expensive make-work system. It's not a good value. It's not a service, it's snooping. It's not becoming of a (formerly) free nation that values individual choices, including making your own decisions about even trivial tasks. Everyone's an informer, an agent of the state, even your garbage collectors. Good job "progressive" Seattle.
You sound paranoid. And angry. Very angry. I guess if you need to imagine the whole world is out to get you, steal your life essence through garbage and whatnot, that'll make a person angry.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 3:42 pm 
I would bribe the garbage guys. Fresh cookies for them? Making sure the cookies don't look like compost. Keep them happy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities