Forum Index > Photography Talk > Your best picture of 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 10:27 pm 
^ That's really nice. While it's the 'standard' composition, the execution is spot on. up.gif And I agree with you: overcast/rainy days are my favorite ones for waterfall photography.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostSun Dec 21, 2014 10:47 pm 
trinityalps

trinityalps
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 1:25 am 
Thanks for the kind words Galiwalker, especially the reference to a spot-on execution. Iconic locations, like this one, are easy to gather information about, and I would be a bit embarrassed to admit just how much planning went in to getting this image. For example, while it is the "standard composition" of the Falls, I studied every image I could find during my research and, in the end, decided that the straight-on framing appealed to me more than any other. Lens choice, f-stop, shutter speed, time-of year, time-of-day, weather, camera position, and knowing in advance precisely how much of the upper Falls I wanted in the frame were all decided far in advance of getting in the car to make the drive to the location.

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view..." Edward Abbey, "Benediction" www.jimkucharek.zenfolio.com
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 1:32 am 
Gil wrote:
pwa57
pwa57
Oh look, he has little nubs!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 1:47 am 
My single best shot of the year is, hands down, this...
01-kittehs-7050
01-kittehs-7050
But to play the game with outdoor photos, I think I'm going with this...
Light Play II
Light Play II
There is nothing technically excellent about it, but it represents a huge milestone for me.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 7:46 am 
The tunnel at Tunnel Falls (Oregon)
Inside the tunnel at Tunnel Falls Oregon
Inside the tunnel at Tunnel Falls Oregon
or maybe this on in Kauai
Sunrise from Princeville, Kauai
Sunrise from Princeville, Kauai

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Pat, that's one of my favorite star pictures posted on this site - the exposure on the tents is spot on, the Milky Way flows nicely out of the mountain top, and the hint of sunset/city lights brings in some nice color. It is esp. impressive since I know you shot it with a Sony RX100 P&S!

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Dec 22, 2014 11:24 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Pat, that's one of my favorite star pictures posted on this site - the exposure on the tents is spot on, the Milky Way flows nicely out of the mountain top, and the hint of sunset/city lights brings in some nice color. It is esp. impressive since I know you shot it with a Sony RX100 P&S!
Thanks Jim, much appreciated. Not only an rx100, but this was my first attempt and trying to photograph the milky way. I am relatively new to serious amateur photography. (less than 2 years). It was an stellar night for star gazing. You could see the milky way with the naked eye, all the way from horizon to horizon. The stars were brilliant. We spotted one that we could swear was moving. we debated it for quite a while.. I even took a long exposure photo of just that star, which proved it was not moving... A memorable backpacking trip...

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 pm 
Always a fun end-of-year thread; thanks for starting it Jim. And great stuff, folks. This is my favorite from this past year - it was a really sweet trip at a time when I really really needed a break from work, with a friend who was also interested in hunting for some photos. We'd strategically placed our camp so that evening laziness wouldn't prevent us from having this tarn handy for some reflection shots if the wind cooperated. Cooperate it did, during the brief period between darkness falling and moon rising, allowing for this shot with enough skylight to give form to the landscape beneath (and above) the sky.
YAB-2
YAB-2

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 pm 
Very nice Joker... Where is this?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 pm 
Thanks. It's at Yellow Aster Butte. The peak in the background is that photographers' magnet, Mt Shuksan.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:46 pm 
it's "Yellow Aster Butte" (where ever that is). and along with a few others in this thread, was my desktop background for a while. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
it's "Yellow Aster Butte" (where ever that is).
Aw Ski, you need to come north more often.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 pm 
I always get lost north of I-90. and besides.... all my "GreenTrails" maps are from Rainier to the Columbia... how would I know where I was going? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 2:41 pm 
Ski wrote:
how would I know where I was going? dizzy.gif
You bring a friend! wink.gif