Forum Index > Partners > First time visitor to PNW. Needing input on trail decision.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jonl

Jonl
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 pm 
Hello! First time post. What a great community. I was referred here by some friendly folks on Backpacking Light. I am planning a trip to ONP late summer/early fall (first week in September) which will also be my first time in the Pacific Northwest. We are flying into Seattle (I'm coming from SW Colorado, buddy is coming in from Vermont) and will be renting a car, so our trip requires an out-and-back or a loop. We have basically agreed on doing the North Fork of the Quinuault combined with Skyline Trail while adding some back country travel and exploring opportunities. First, is that a good introduction to the ONP? Second, we have struggled on whether we are missing out on a must see trail by not doing the main fork of the Quinault and missing the Enchanted Valley. We are both experienced backpackers with backcountry skill and comfort. Is there another loop we should consider? Lastly, do I need bug netting for that time of year in the rainforest and/or at altitude? Otherwise, I'd love to just bring the Mid with no inner. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm 
bugs? in the Olympics? what gave you that idea? dizzy.gif okay.... seriously... first week of September? depends upon what the weather's been like earlier in the season... usually by then the bug thing isn't as bad as, say, mid-July (intolerable) but it will be better about the second or third week of September, and by October there's usually no bugs. (my observations are all based on low-elevation stuff - I'm down in a river valley a bit north.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Dec 23, 2014 8:26 pm 
GET HEADNETS ....OR YOUR GONNA DIEEEE!!!!...ahem late sept. is ok... hope u follow all the old school rules like lnt, fires ect....someone here will give ya a few olympic sekrits if u ask.... how many nights?...will re-read your poist.. isnt that skyline longer and x-c parts...just look up some reports here first?... a week in the north cascades would be great allso.....would hav a weather back-up plan going like that or check the mtn.s lower right side of lake chelan..sawtooths in the reports..this is eastarn washington and way better chance of good weather...serious if the weather looks sucky head north or east! check star lake or sawtooths in the reports...oh and cathedral lake but 16m.? approach...that is in the north cascades by the border... dizzy.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 6:42 am 
Your choice of NF Quinalt up Elip Creek and Skyline and back dowm Big Creek is a good one. Campsites at Three Lakes. Get a guidebook. First week of Sept is when I did it, too. As for misquitos, just get some basic Colgans stick-on or any cheap spray or lotion and you'll be fine. I don't remember then being much of a problem. And don't be lured up to the N. Cascades. It's little different then Coloraldo.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Jonl

Jonl
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 11:09 am 
haha. Forest gnome, having lived in Vermont for 5 years and being from Florida, I'm not too worried about bugs.....just wondering if I can save some ounces and leave the inner in Colorado. Seems like September in Washington is a bit like September everywhere else...not too bad with the bugs. We absolutely follow LNT....to an extreme level. I'm a LNT nazi. Don't worry....I'll be treating your backyard with respect. I don't light fires..ever.

Jonl

Jonl
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 11:12 am 
Phillyjon, We actually are not talking about doing Elip creek cutoff. THe idea is to start at the North Fork and go all the way to Low Divide then hop on the Skyline from there and head south past Lake Beauty, past Kitma, past three lakes, and back to the North Fork Trailhead. Thoughts? My original idea...which got nixed because of time was so do a huge loop starting on Quinualt, through the enchanted valley then hop north on the Dosewallips River, over Hayden Pass then south on the North Fork Quinault trail then onto the Skyline, then road walking back to my car on Graves Creek Road......alas..not enough time. next time!

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 7:32 am 
That's a long one. I never been along that way but some sections of Skyline may be hard to follow. I just hope you do Big Creek back because a good example of old rainforst big trees. Large Alaska yellow Cedars to start with off to the right across small meadow before coming to old sucker with top blown off on the left. Liesurely take your time six miles down to left at road you came in on for couple miles. I envy you. Happy trails.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 12:40 pm 
Your NF Quinalt/Skyline loop is a fine idea and a great trip.

Jonl

Jonl
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm 
Hey Philly, Just consulted the map, we do indeed plan on following big creek back to the North Fork trailhead. The map I have has the "largest Alaska Yellow Cedar" labeled right there.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 26, 2014 6:24 pm 
Careful Washington's a gateway drug......

Jonl

Jonl
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 5:14 pm 
Bruce, that's what I like to hear. My wife and I may move to Olympia in the future.

gb

gb
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 8:29 pm 
As has been suggested the section of the Skyline near Kimtah Peak is largely x-country. The travel is easy but the trail was pretty much non-existent in open country in that area even 15 years ago when I did it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 9:36 pm 
We did that route in reverse about 5 years ago. If the snow is gone it is quite easy to follow but a GPS with Washington Topos is useful. It gives an excellent review of the area with both alpine and valley travel. Inquire locally as to specific conditions as maintence can be irregular and dependent upon winter storms. For several years major bridges were washed out making crossings difficult to impossible in high water. It is also not the place to go if scared of bears. We saw more than 6 on the route.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 pm 
Did the same loop in a clockwise direction a few years ago in early September. Only took bivy bags and a tarp. Never used the tarp and just laid on top of the bivy bags.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Jonl

Jonl
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:57 pm 
Malachai, Good tips! I love bears. They don't bother me and its always an honor seeing them. I'll probably bring bear spray just in case if permitted in ONP. Is high water and river crossings ever an issue in late summer/early fall?