Forum Index > Partners > Anyone willing to show a newbie the ropes? Lol
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leeuhhh82

Leeuhhh82
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 12:07 am 
I am dying to get out hiking and backpacking, but none of my friends hike or backpack. I am in fairly decent shape, but have almost no experience. I'm a girl if that makes any difference to anyone (lol), and I live in Tacoma. I hope I am posting this in the right place! Anyone need a hiking buddy??

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 12:15 am 
welcome to the site. I'm out near Pt. Defiance, but I'm kind of new at this game. not sure if I'd be of any use. wink.gif I do make pretty good pie, though.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 7:28 am 
yes welcome to the asylum...OH wow I speltl that!!...I hav one newbie that I took on several trip this year, he's mid 50"s and doing ok on the 2 multinighters we did this summer just learn the basics (library books) and follow the old-school rules like allways taking enough stuff for overnight..extra clothes in ziplock bags, and u may get an emergency orange bivi sack by "sol" at outdoor stores...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 am 
... and remember that no matter what the question is, if you ask 20 people here, you're going to get 30 different answers. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 11:11 am 
I moved up here about a year and a half ago and it had been a long time since I had done any mountain type hikes...(not many of those around San Antonio). Best advice is to get some of the guide books and look at trip reports here on this site or from WTA. Ask questions on this site regarding equipment, supplies, permits and such. I started on day hikes of about 6 miles roundtrip. This was to get a feel for how I would do. A lot of these trails will have you huffing and puffing. I usually hike solo, mostly because none of my current friends have any desire to hike 10 miles and camp and hike more the next day. Which is also ok as something can be said for the solitude just as something can be said for having a buddy with you. In any case, you live in a great area, Northern Cascades, Mt Rainier, Olympics and even Mt. Saint Helens and Mount Hood are not far away. So many places to see and go. Even if you do not have a buddy to hike with, don't pass up the opportunity to enjoy this amazing area. And if you have a hike in mind and no one to go with you, post here, most of us are not rabid or psycho. smile.gif Oh and welcome to the site!

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Leeuhhh82

Leeuhhh82
PostWed Dec 24, 2014 9:34 pm 
Good info, thanks you guys! I have hiked some- 8 miles in the snow with half way being uphill, so I have some idea of my abilities, but I think some solo day hikes would be a good way to start out. And thinking about it now, solo hiking actually sounds sort of appealing.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:24 pm 
I've done a number of solo day hikes over the last couple of years and I've really enjoyed them. It allows me to go where I want and not just tag along on someone else's hike. It's also nice to be able to set my own pace because my pace doesn't seem to match that of most of my friends. One thing I'd suggest is that you let someone know where you're going and when you plan to be back. So far, I haven't had any major problems on the trail, but if I sprained an ankle and didn't have cell reception, I'd really want someone to tell SAR where I went. Have fun hiking!

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
One thing I'd suggest is that you let someone know where you're going and when you plan to be back. So far, I haven't had any major problems on the trail, but if I sprained an ankle and didn't have cell reception, I'd really want someone to tell SAR where I went.
For solo hiking this is a must to me. And I make sure I have enough equipment to last through the night as SAR probably wouldn't be notified until long after I should have been home. Odds are I wouldn't see a rescue until the next day. Just make sure you stick to the plan that you left behind. I also tend to text as soon as I am on the way back and have cell reception to let people know that I 'survived' and wasn't eaten but anything.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills

zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 7:17 pm 
Hiya I've been an avid hiker for years around WA. Recent endeavors included racking up more than 100,000 vertical feet gained through 2014 across 51 hikes and through 5 states. I am always looking for people to go share the great outdoors. I've met a lot of great people on this site who like coming along with me, even if I push it some times. Some goals of mine in 2014 are Muir, St. Helens, Adams, Kaleetan Peak just to name a few. Obviously those aren't beginning hikes but there is always ground in between. Please feel free to message me if you wanna head out any time!

To see the world, Things dangerous to come to, To see behind walls, To draw closer, To find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of LIFE.
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri Jan 02, 2015 2:04 pm 
If you hike solo, please check conditions before you go and make sure you are very prepared for delays. A SPOT or PLB is very good to have as a backup plan too. I got my SPOT off craigslist for $15 and have a $100 yearly subscription. I always carry a GPS with me as well to help get back to the truck in case of low visibility. good luck, have fun

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm 
Do some research before you buy your gear for overnight. By far my "worst" purcahses were my pad and sleeping bag. The bag was great, but I quickly found that I hate mummy bags. I can't stand them. I bought one of those cheap thin foam pads and it was not comfortable at all. I was warm, but my hip and shoulder were on the ground all night. My first night out my friend and I were both first timers. We had a blast. If you go alone try to pick a trail that is semi popular so that you can have someone around to help you in case of emergency. Don't try anything too difficult. Keep in mind that your first time out you might not be completely prepaired, or you might be too cold and have to pack up and head to the car in the middle of the night. I test all my stuff in the backyard before I go in the field. It is good to know it works before you are stuck in the wilderness wink.gif REI has a great read for beginner hikers and campers. It would be worth reading through their "What is good for you" articles. Plus their 1 year return policy is amazing. I wish I bought my bag and pad there because I could have returned them and gotten something different. I've got a great kit now after returning and testing other stuff.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jan 02, 2015 10:21 pm 
library has good books ...one here had lightweight backpacking tips..(some title like that)... winter can be super harsh...as the snow shoe guy found out last week on ranier ...

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostSat Jan 03, 2015 10:16 pm 
I'm nowhere near the PNW (opposite corner, practically frown.gif) so can't offer much direct help, but I have quite a few friends who are still in Seattle so may be able to e-introduce you to them. PM me if you'd like. I got my hiking start in 2007 in Seattle and fell in love with it. My very first hike was with friends, and while most of my hikes were in the company of at least one experienced hiker, I did end up doing a few hikes on my own by the end of the summer. If you do go on your own to start, be sure to let others know where you're going -- and it may be a good idea to stick with some of the more popular trails rather than go bushwacking to gain solitude. Even so, be mindful of where you're stepping (particularly in the winter), and pack and know how to use your essentials. Even veteran hikers make silly mistakes, so above all I applaud your effort to reach out here first!

strider

strider
PostSun Jan 04, 2015 7:28 pm 
There's also an option that seldom involves snow. You might consider an Oly NP beach hike. Lots of TR's here that will get your imagination in gear. Search the TR's for Alava, Shi Shi, Sand Point, Mora, Third Beach, Toleak Point, Mosquito Creek. Any of those tags will give you TR's. You might be better off going with someone else the first time or two though. Winter weather and tides are nothing to be casual about, and don't let the minimal elevation changes fool you. Four miles out there can kick butts harder than going off trail up a 4K foot ridgeline. Do some research, learn about tides and storms. Be proficient at starting fires in wet conditions. Be prepared to survive without fires 'cuz sometimes they just don't want to happen no matter how nuclear your firestarter.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....