Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Car Sealant - Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 9:05 am 
Anybody use this product? thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 2:01 pm 
well.,. if I could afford to drive a Mercedes or Audi S4, I'd probably have Jeeves wax the car and leave it to his discretion as to what product to apply. but I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around paying $40 for a bottle of wax for a 20-year-old truck.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 3:52 pm 
I have never understood why a cheap car shouldn't be taken care of and made to look good. The car is still a Big Investment and deserves a little TLC. Why not have a vehicle you can have some pride to be seen with it, rather than just slink away, hoping no one notices you got out of it. confused.gif I have owned a number of very cheap cars over the years and like them shiny. But that's just me. Some people seem to take pride in driving the Incredible Hulk. wink.gif Wolfgang sealant looks intriguing. Cost amortized over a year is pretty minimal cost per day. Lots of reviews on Amazon and Autogeek, most are highly favorable. Do note that most people seem to use this as one step of a very time consuming, multi-step process and layering system. And you have to wait half an hour after applying and then make sure it doesn't see moisture for 12 hours, which means you have to make sure your car is VERY dry before applying, and then you have to prep the paint, and a lot of people add another layer over it. As much as I like shiny things, this would be pushing MY limit for amount of time and effort put into making my car a tiny bit deeper gloss than my Eagle1 system I am currently using. I am wondering how you are going to go through all that effort, if you find the Eagle1 workflow already too much to deal with? That might be something to think about before you invest in a $100 or more of the various products you will actually need to get this rolling. It does sound like it will reward you with a deep deep shine if you go through the process. And might even last a few months, which is a plus. Let me know how it works out. That shine is tempting... hmmm.gif Meanwhile I will stay with(shake products well during use) .... 1) Eagle One "wash as you wax" car wash. 2) Wipe off excess water with a tiny spritz of Eagle1 "Wax as you dry", using microfiber towel. 3) Tiny tiny tiny spritz of Eagle1 "Nano wax" for final drying and buff out with dry microfiber. Drive away, you are done. This is the point in the process you would start doing the steps required for Wolfgangs. I like shiny, but I have too many other things I want to do too. agree.gif

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 5:31 pm 
boot up wrote:
I have never understood why a cheap car shouldn't be taken care of and made to look good. ... confused.gif ....I have owned a number of very cheap cars over the years and like them shiny. But that's just me.
Yep. They are just transportation to me. I keep 'em running good but don't give a sh## what they look like. One trip down our road and they all look the same anyway.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 6:10 pm 
mike wrote:
One trip down our road and they all look the same anyway. >
ah yes, "Dirt Road People".... that is a special case. agree.gif

friluftsliv
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 6:13 pm 
boot up wrote:
"I have never understood why..."
well, I never understood why anybody would be willing to pay what I considered exorbitant sums of money for high-priced car wax products, in spite of our profit margin on them being far higher than the low-end pre-softened Turtle or DuPont creme waxes, but that's just me. (of course, we always padded in another two or three bucks into the retail price to offset the shoplifting, which usually targeted the high-end stuff. why steal cheap wax?) but having repped Meguiar's out on the road (necessitating washing my truck every morning at the crack of dawn) I'm predisposed to using their products, which I find more than satisfactory. used to use TR3 when it first came out, but they changed the formula - not the same stuff anymore. but then, pretty much anything you use looks great for the first day. 99.9% of it is a lot of hype to make you believe they've actually come up with something "new and improved", when the fact is the only thing "new" is the packaging. Turtle Wax played that game every year, and if you wanted the up-front ad money you had to place your season pre-order and buy all four (or five or six) of the "new" products to get the co-op ad money and the extended dating on the invoice.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 6:53 pm 
Ski wrote:
well, I never understood why anybody would be willing to pay what I considered exorbitant sums of money for high-priced car wax products,
Looks like I will stick with the under hyped Eagle One products, which I have time tested over several cars over the last decade or so. Cheap, easy application, quiet nudges of improvement to their performance which I can only notice since I have been using for so many years. Eagle1 gets panned on car forums because the people spending 8 hours detailing their cars, with an expensive array of products just can't handle someone getting almost as good results visually and as good of results for protection, with 45 minutes of effort, and that is after coming off a day of backroading. I do NOT recommend Eagle1 if you only wash your car twice a year though. It is not a miracle worker. But then I doubt most of the claims for durability on most of the products out there. Meguires is good stuff, if you want to put in the effort. I generally sell my cars after 10-14 years and they look like new. Not only do I get to enjoy them along the way, but it usually adds an extra thousand to their selling price, in my experience. For some people, that is not worth the effort. That is their choice. Different strokes.... agree.gif

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 8:46 pm 
boot up wrote:
ah yes, "Dirt Road People".... that is a special case. agree.gif
No dirt involved. It goes from dust to mud directly biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm 
There are some funny 1 star reviews on Amazon.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:04 am 
boot up wrote:
"Eagle1 gets panned on..."
they all get panned somewhere. everybody's got their own "best" on this one, and few are in agreement. funny thing, though.... when I was working car shows (one or two per weekend, every weekend from May until September), I was always surprised by how many guys I saw pulling out some "spray on, buff off" stuff for the final touch-up after they rolled their cars off trailers or drove them in. my buddy uses some stuff like that on his Lexus. spray. wipe. shine. looks like a million bucks. I use the Meguiars because it's one of those non-abrasive polymer/emulsifier-type cleaner/waxes - black truck oxidizes something awful over the course of a year. pretty easy. not a hell of a lot of work. if I get jazzed up I've got a can of Mother's carnauba paste (no abrasives/no cleaners). old school. too damn much work, though. pretty much anything will work fine if you stay out of the automatic car washes. wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:23 am 
The best thing you can do is ding up your vehicle. Then you can tap its full potential and spend less time worrying about keeping it perfect.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:26 am 
oh... other people in parking lots took care of that before it was two months old.... dings all over the thing.... it's not something I lose sleep about.... I shine it up once a year whether it needs it or not, just so I can say I did. smile.gif as for "tapping potential" - I seem to remember hauling two 318 A-block chrysler long blocks to an account down on the Long Beach peninsula one morning from Auburn in two-and-a-half hours. on the way back I dropped off a 350 chev long block to an account in Aberdeen. wink.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 9:13 am 
Ski wrote:
surprised by how many guys I saw pulling out some "spray on, buff off" stuff for the final touch-up after they rolled their cars off trailers or drove them in. my buddy uses some stuff like that on his Lexus. spray. wipe. shine. looks like a million bucks. I use the Meguiars because it's one of those non-abrasive polymer/emulsifier-type cleaner/waxes - black truck oxidizes something awful over the course of a year. pretty easy. not a hell of a lot of work. if I get jazzed up I've got a can of Mother's carnauba paste (no abrasives/no cleaners). old school. too damn much work, though. pretty much anything will work fine if you stay out of the automatic car washes. wink.gif
I totally agree about the auto car washes! And keep those electric buffers away from the car if you plan to own it more than a couple years. Notice that the Wolfgang does NOT have carnuba wax, and you need to use an abrasive prep. Eagle 1 does have carnuba wax, anti-uv and anti-oxidation additives, and its non abrasive. If you use a very light shot of Nano Wax for your buff step, that fills the micro scratches normally caused by buffing. Plus, being a spray it gets into places a regular wax doesn't, but it doesn't leave a residue, so you aren't digging out wax with a q-tip from the sheet metal seams. I have tried Ice and some of those "finishing" sprays and find them pretty worthless. The Eagle1 is "real" wax, and after using it on multiple cars as the ONLY thing I use, I would say it stands the test of time. But you are correct, everyone has their preferences. For myself, I would rather spend a couple minutes extra, every time I wash, then never getting around to using a "superior" wax system that takes hours to deal with.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 am 
Well I figured this would get some sort of discussion going anyway.. lol.gif I ran across that "wax" or whatever it is on a Subaru site with people touting it as an alternative to the "sealant treatment" that the dealer wants to charge you an arm and a leg for when you buy the new car. My impression was this wasn't something you would do more than twice a year in addition to regular washing and waxing. My thought was wondering if something like this might put on an added layer of protection (like a supposed sealant treatment if such a thing really exists). It was not meant to be a substitute for more regular washing and waxing. More like an extra base layer of protection.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 10:59 am 
Back in '89 I bought a brand new Toyota 4x4, we're all looking at it Monday morning at the jobsite, my boss walks up and throws a brick into the bed then says "now it's used." At first I was pissed because it WAS new, but he had a point. I do believe if you take care of things, they'll last longer. All within reason. McGuire's is good enough.