Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do young people...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 5:56 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:14 pm 
Most things now cannot be repaired even if you tried. Electronics are a lot different than when you pulled a burnt out tube or electrolytic capacator. The guts now are usually embedded systems in machine language. Cards are computer run and you replace the computer if you can, but it usually cost as much as the car is worth. Most everything else is cheap Chinese plastic junk which when broken is irreparable. Do I sound like Andy Rooney. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:24 pm 
I bet you call someone under 40 when you need to figure out how to do something invoking a computer. wink.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:29 pm 
No I have been working in the industry since before the IBM PC came out and when the OS was Unix. moon.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 6:42 pm 
I agree there's a lot of stuff that's more difficult or impossible to repair. Plastic stuff that breaks is particularly annoying. However, I imagine there are a lot of things that could be repaired if people knew how to use a screwdriver, wrench, or needle and thread. When the Velcro came off a strap on my gaiters, I sewed it back on. Now if only I could find a small enough star drive to tighten the screw on my pocket knife.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 8:40 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
Now if only I could find a small enough star drive to tighten the screw on my pocket knife.
9 piece torx set

sten

sten
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 10:03 pm 
Quote:
I bet you call someone under 40 when you need to figure out how to do something invoking a computer. wink.gif
Actually for computers my family calls me and I'm not under 40. If I'm perplexed I call a guy who's older than me. If it is something else around the house that I can't figure out I call my dad. He's also not under 40.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 pm 
With what it cost to fix things that can even be fixed, it seems we live for the most part in a disposable society. Spend a few hundred dollars for a piece of electronics and it breaks in a few years... It would cost at least $100 for someone to even look at it.... With computers you can replace pieces to some degree, but if you've had the computer for a few years you can usually buy something way better for not a lot more than a repair would cost.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Dec 29, 2014 10:19 pm 
This reminds me of a tale of "fix the broken toy for the crying kid" that we had from a couple years ago. I found a random toy flower that had a little "press a button and it plays a song" in it. My daughter loved it. And then it started going ... funny. Two year olds do NOT understand "it doesn't work any more" as a final answer. And, why should it be?! So, we took apart the flower, tested out what was going wrong where, bought a new battery and re-soldered a wire that had come loose. It works again! (Well, mostly. These things aren't exactly durable...) I hope to teach my kid(s) to at least try to do this sort of thing as time goes on.
She also "helped" us replace a drive in the Tivo when it failed. :P
DSC_0170
DSC_0170
But I think a lot of people are afraid to tinker with things because you run the risk of breaking them beyond repair, which is just as expensive as replacing them. Not to mention it isn't as easy to ask a real person you know to show you how to fix things. I mean, there are YouTube videos for everything these days, but it's not the same as direct person-to-person instruction.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 5:09 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most things now cannot be repaired even if you tried. Electronics are a lot different than when you pulled a burnt out tube or electrolytic capacator. The guts now are usually embedded systems in machine language. Cards are computer run and you replace the computer if you can, but it usually cost as much as the car is worth. Most everything else is cheap Chinese plastic junk which when broken is irreparable. Do I sound like Andy Rooney. huh.gif
nowadays a big problem is finding replacement parts. radio shack used to be a great place to get electronic components, but they have turned into a badly run cell phone store chain with nothing to offer. all new circuit boards use SMT (surface mount technology) components in their manufacturing and even though they are repairable, it's usually not worth the cost because the parts are not easily or cheaply available. but, as far as cars go, the onboard computers are very rarely the cause of a breakdown. it's usually a major sensor like a tps, map or maf that is the problem.

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 am 
Nobody hear has mentioned the leaky faucet or the squeaky brake or the dragging glass sliding door.Hell i am fifty and can build my own damn computer.With plug and play these days you snap it together and turn it on. I was just talking to the wife about this yesterday.I have a snap on preasure washer that the trigger wore out on.I took it apart and tried to source parts to re seal it.You can not do it.So I bought a new wand at the box store.Does not fit.Now i am looking at damn near the original purchase price to fix it. Why can I not just by a Teflon seal and ball? Because there is no market because people do not fix things,they throw them away. Edit :Proof of this study to me is the fact that a long time local repair and parts business recently quit selling parts.I bought everything from my lawn tractor belts to the defrost heater for my refrigerator from them.

JPH

JPH
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 am 
Being under 40 I never realized this, but I guess that plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics, cobblers, handymen, etc are all professions that came around in the last 20 years* since before that everyone fixed all their own stuff. (*-except new construction)

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:21 am 
YouTube has been incredible for fixing things. For almost anything there's a video showing how to do the repair. I've fixed my bike many times, a toilet, toaster, minor car repairs, etc. Many things just can't be fixed, especially modern electronics, but if it can be repaired the information to do it is easier than ever to find.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:29 am 
I have changed batteries in iPods and altimeter watches from utube videos.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
No I have been working in the industry since before the IBM PC came out and when the OS was Unix. moon.gif
I meant that for Hesman who says young people can't fix anything, or at least the same kinds of things young people fixed 40 years ago.