Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do young people...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 9:50 am 
Opus wrote:
YouTube has been incredible for fixing things. For almost anything there's a video showing how to do the repair. I've fixed my bike many times, a toilet, toaster, minor car repairs, etc. Many things just can't be fixed, especially modern electronics, but if it can be repaired the information to do it is easier than ever to find.
The amount of time people spend documenting things for you tube to me is truly amazing.I needed a replacement back packing stove years ago.Google diy backpacking gear and now love my holey cat food can. I tell people all the time to check you tube for direction on projects.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Even the online parts houses are discovering that videos explaining how to fix things is good for business. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/articles-c-8873.html

Deereguy

Deereguy
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:18 am 
In the day, we fixed everything cars, tractors, wash machines, built houses, roofing, logging, electronics everything. City people would say you could have done it cheaper by having it fix by a pro. That may be true, in some cases, but what they failed to understand, was the personal satisfaction of being able to do it yourself. Also, when a calamity hits, no big deal in a few hours you could have the roof back on, plumbing fixed, car running, wash machine back in operation, well pumping again. Self sufficiency riches the soul and pocketbook. Too bad, we don't teach these basic skill in schools.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 11:04 am 
There is this concept of "Appropriate Technology". Basically, it means recognizing all of the costs of owning something. When you ask, "What does it cost?" you ask, "what does it really cost?" Is it worth having? Is it worth making? Who made it? Do I understand it? Can I repair it? What happens when I'm done with it? What if everybody had one? Is it sustainable? Can it benefit everybody, or is it available only to the elite? One of the instructive things about backpacking is that you have to trim your possessions and evaluate their cost (in weight and money), and you can't afford too many vanities. E.F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful Sahlins, Stone Age Economics Gerry Mander, Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 am 
The other day I got a flat tire on my bike, 15 miles from home. It was cold. Of course I fixed it myself. Moving was keeping me warm. I have a couple of point-and-shoot cameras that in the line of duty. A couple of them have sand in the lens mechanism. The repair shop quoted me $350 to fix it but that's twice what the camera cost new.

jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 pm 
I hope I'm not as much of a downer when I get as old as some of the posters in this thread.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 4:06 pm 
I come from a very nerdy family, I and most of my siblings have embarked on many haphazard DIY projects from home-built computers to potato canons and goat sheds. However, we are far from your typical modern young people, most of the youth of today haven't had the opportunity to grow up home-schooled on a farm!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 5:41 pm 
Deereguy wrote:
City people would say you could have done it cheaper by having it fix by a pro.
I guess if you're a bumbler who makes things worse by trying to fix them then this makes some sense. Otherwise it doesn't compute with this city boy. The biggest expense of almost all projects is labor. Not paying a pro to do something saves you boatloads of $$$. Unless of course, as I said, you're a bumbler who's just as likely to break something as fix it. Great example - replacing the transmission oil in my car. Something I do once a year. Takes me 1/2 hour and the cost of 3 qts. Redline synthetic gear oil. I shopped around and the absolute cheapest place I could find that would do this for me wanted $100 with the oil I supplied. Most places wanted $160 or more, and that's with me giving them the oil so I don't get whatever cheap stuff they make the most profit on. Not only that, but it would take more than 1/2 hour of my time to take the car to a shop. It's literally as easy as pull the car up onto some ramps, chock the wheels, roll underneath with a socket wrench and drain pan, pull the drain plug and wait for the oil to reduce to a drip, replace drain plug and remove drain pan, pull the transmission dipstick, put a long funnel in the hole, pour in the required amount of oil, replace dipstick, back the car down off the ramps, put tools and ramps away and set the drain pan up to drain into an empty gallon milk jug so I can set it out on the curb with the recycling later, and done. For 1/2 hour of my time I saved enough money to drink quality beer for a month or two. I'm a commercial electrician by trade and a tinkerer with cars and other stuff by hobby and always have been. It would be a shame if people lose these kinds of skills, and yet it will provide good wages for those who are willing to learn.

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 7:05 pm 
IMO it is sad that most "younger" folks cannot fix things nor have the thought process of even how to fix things. What is even worse is that most people don't / can't change the oil in their vehicles.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most things now cannot be repaired even if you tried. Electronics are a lot different than when you pulled a burnt out tube or electrolytic capacitor... broken is irreparable. Do I sound like Andy Rooney. huh.gif
Actually electrolytic capacitors remain a frequent source of planned obsolescence and cause of failure of consumer electronics. I know a smart guy who salvaged a failing but otherwise nice big flat screen tv by replacing a few cheap capacitors in the power supply. But you have to be a bit smart and technically savvy to pull this kind of repair off...

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 30, 2014 11:00 pm 
I used to change my own oil years ago. I finally quit as it just wasn't worth saving $20-$30 to have to get under the car (in most cases needing to use jack stands or ramps) to get it high enough to be able to fuss around with the drain plug etc, remove the filter and have it dump oil all over the place, not to mention what to do with the old oil and getting it all caught without making a mess. It has nothing to do with not being able to do it. I just chose not too. Now I'm reconsidering. With something like A fumuto valve it can be a lot easier. My biggest problem with having someone do my oil changes now is I don't trust the flunkies doing it. You end up with who knows what kind of oil, not to mention they often either underfill or overfill. Oh yea and they often strip out the drain plug/oil pan. Just had this happen on our 2008 CRV. They had to put in some kind of repair kit as we had a slow oil drop leak from the screw which they obviously messed up as I have never change the oil in that vehicle. Other than that.. No problem right with a "professional" doing the job. lol.gif I still don't know if it's worth the hassles. I guess I'll see how easy it might be on my new Outback when I get it. On the 2.5 engines the oil filter is right in the engine compartment and real easy. I think the 3.6R it is underneath. Dunno how much crap you might have to take off to get it out etc. At least the higher clearance should help.

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 6:11 am 
I was probably ten years old when my father decided theat My list of chores was not big enough and changing the oil on the family car and truck was my responsibility.That is the difference between now and then. I would like to know how people are changing oil cheaper than the dealers these days.Ford will do my truck for twenty nine ninety nine.Cost me just about forty to do myself. That said I change it myself.They were not even pulling my dipstick during the changes,They would dump the oil,pump new in and out the door.I kept noticing the level was a little low after they would change it so I gave it to them with the dipstick taped down.Came back taped down and pushing a half quart low, days before a trip to Texas.I love my truck but am yet to deal with a dealer worth a shiatt.

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 am 
whitebark wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most things now cannot be repaired even if you tried. Electronics are a lot different than when you pulled a burnt out tube or electrolytic capacitor... broken is irreparable. Do I sound like Andy Rooney. huh.gif
Actually electrolytic capacitors remain a frequent source of planned obsolescence and cause of failure of consumer electronics. I know a smart guy who salvaged a failing but otherwise nice big flat screen tv by replacing a few cheap capacitors in the power supply. But you have to be a bit smart and technically savvy to pull this kind of repair off...
Cheap desktops suffered from This also.Pretty easy to identify with out test equipment a trip to radio shack and You are just as "smart" as him.Google it man! wink.gif

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 6:28 am 
Ranger Smith wrote:
nor have the thought process of even how to fix things.
This is actually kind of alarming to me.Too many of the young folks I interact with,lack a critical thought process.They kind of remind me of my African grey parrot.Way to dependent for me.

jared_j

jared_j
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 12:26 pm