Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do young people...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Dec 31, 2014 1:37 pm 
More things are disposable. Some things are harder to repair. Other's can't be repaired by lay people at all. I built my last desktop, and have fixed iPhones with the help of iFixit.com, but none of my kids were very interested in any of those projects. My son has expressed interest in my work on our cars, but I'm the only dad I know who works on his own car. Most parents have neither the time nor the inclination for DIY maintenance or repair any more. If the parents don't do it, where are the kids going to learn it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 4:54 pm 

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 6:16 pm 
I have suspected this for some time. A quote from the article. “There will be a time when the wealthy among us will be those that are willing to get dirt under their fingernails. AC repair, plumbers, electricians, etc.” Maybe go learn plumbing after getting that MBA?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 6:54 pm 
If a coronal mass ejection like the "Carrington Event" happens anytime soon 80% of the worlds population will die of starvation and so many other "issues" that will be associated with it. Nobody knows how to do anything anymore. How many people have even a weeks food supply at home? Let alone a years worth like everyone should have. How about a power supply (so many types. I have a propane generator and a few solar generators) how about a water supply should the local supply shut off? Who has medical supplies? Who has do it yourself books breaking down rural, urban and general survival? Who has non hybrid seeds to be able to plant a garden should the need arise? Does anyone have fuel stored properly? What about the ability to defend yourself against all the people who aren't prepared or able to take care of themselves? "Studies have shown that a solar storm of this magnitude(Carrington Event) occurring today would likely cause widespread problems for modern civilization. There is an estimated 12% chance of a similar event occurring between 2012 and 2022!" Listen, whether its a CME, an Electromagnetic Pulse, or an economic collapse the possibility that you'll have to take care of yourself does exist! For the sake of yourselves, not to mention your loved ones shouldn't you make at least some preparations? People often mock Mormons. They ask their people to have one to two years of food at home. Not because they are preparing for the apocalypse, but because they feel its only responsible to be self sufficient should the need arise. Think about it. Carrington Event

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 pm 
My friends and I have thought about "it". They said they'd come and get me, they have lots of equipment and stuff. I will take my treadle sewing machine and we shall hold off the zombie hordes with sewing and chainsaws. Lots of us have been cut off during floods and slides. The first thing to disappear from the mini-mart (the grocery was on the other side of the flood) was beer and chips. Regular gas then sold out. The premium gas lasted through the rest of the time. I had a friend who couldn't make it home staying at my house. We made the plan on drinking at the nearby bar first and saving my booze for when the bar ran out. I even fed my next door neighbor, who had no extra food. No problem. No looting occurred. People worked together to help save stuff or move things and then afterwards we all pitched in to clean up. No mayhem or shooting...just people helping people. Most folks around here have or have had the "dirty" jobs and there is a lot of skill and ingenuity in the community.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities