Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cumulative Elevation Gain on West Coast Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 am 
Anyone know at least an approximate cumulative elevation gain for the West Coast Trail? I can't seem to find this anywhere online. I can only find net elevation gain which doesn't really represent the experience. This year I finally remembered to keep a log of my hikes but haven't been able to fill in this stat. Any info is much appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 9:47 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 am 
I'd bet it's around 4000 ft total. Would need someone to carry (and carefully use/calibrate) an alti watch to find out with all those ladders though. Some runner folks run it in a day, they usually have alti watches. The data probably exists, you'd just have to find the right person to ask.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am 
It's more of an obstacle course than a hike. Upper body strength is much more a factor than on an ordinary hike.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am 
I don't necessarily disagree with any of the comments but I think any reasonably decent hiker can do this trail with some determination. I do little more than hike about twice a week to stay in shape. I don't go to the gym and have little upper body strength (read: can't open jar of pickles or large doors with ease) but I managed rather successfully (although my feet might have a different version of the story, haha). That said, I really am pretty conservative so every trip is a pretty calculated event for me. However, I've learned that I'm more likely to regret what I *don't* do. I also did the Wonderland Trail a week after the West Coast Trail. Not bad for a casual hiker IMO.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 pm 
It varies somewhat depending on where you take the coast route versus the overland route. Here is an approximation using the terrain overlay of the trail (largely the overland route).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:41 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:46 pm 
Timing is everything regarding walking as much of the coast (not beach in many places but really cool rock shelves) as possible. A lot of the coastal route is only walkable at low tide, and soemtimes points of egress are few and far in between so you have to allow enough time for the "crossings." The surge channels are only toward the south end. If my dubious memory is to be believed, they both have pretty reasonable overland routes around them. When I was there, they also both had a plank across them. We crossed one, but the other one was too sketchy. eek.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!