Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > wooden hammer made with a 3D printer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 am 
At this years Consumer Electronics show (CES), Makerbot unveiled new materials that allow their 3D printers to make objects out of a wide variety of substances, including metal, wood, and marble. This article describes a printed hammer made of iron and wood: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2866132/hands-on-with-makerbots-3d-printed-wood.html It's only a matter of time before we all have Star Trek style replicators in our homes! up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 3:44 pm 
I can hardly wait. Now the evil teenager next door will be able to make whatever infernal device he imagines and deliver it to my yard, door, or bedroom with one of his increasingly miniaturized, untraceable, unstoppable drones. The (many) psychopaths of the world will be able to make anything they want (a moot point perhaps, as they seem to run the show already). Phillip Slater, The Pursuit of Loneliness or possibly Phillip Slater, Earthwalk has a chapter on new technology entitled, "The Extensions of Man or, 'Say Hello to the Nice Fist.'" As an illustration, he cites some Popular Mechanics-type 1960's article on the personal air cars we'll all have in the future, then asks how much we really want to have them zooming over our backyards, crashing and falling into our houses, belching noise and exhaust into our air, making great getaway cars for bandits, terrorists and pirates, etc. He points out that the ability to materialize our dreams is a common theme in dystopic science fiction, wherein it includes the ability to materialize our nightmares and evil fantasies (see Steven King's The Mist and one by Ray Bradbury in which a derelict Martian civilization is discovered along with the incarnated monsters that destroyed it). Slater's are remarkably pertinent reading, unreservedly recommended, for 40-year-old books. Ironic to choose as the demonstration project a hammer -- perhaps our first tool -- which, like most of them, can be used constructively or as a weapon. New technology is always immediately weaponized, so perhaps a knife would have been more symbolically appropriate.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 3:52 pm 
With every new invention there will be new legislation and laws to cover the new scenarios possible. I wonder when we will reach "critical mass" and simply overwhelm ourselves with too much to pay attention to? What will happen to people who refuse to embrace new technology? It seems like if you aren't greedy or ambitious these days you are left behind to glean a meager existence off the spoils of the ambitious. Yeah...a rambling rant. I know...but it made me feel better. hahahaha

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm 
I wouldn't worry too much prisoners have demonstrated an ability to make a shank out of most anything. You can make a much more serviceable pistol out of some scrap iron and a file than any printed one. I would worry much more about do it yourself DNA or Proteins. Ebola that spreads like influenza, toxins, and prions anyone? If not your neighbor how about the boy dictator.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 4:47 pm 
With any new technology comes new challenges and dangers, along with the inevitable predictions of doom. There are heaps of dystopian science fiction novels filled with dire portrayals of advanced societies gone wrong. However, there is the opposite side of the coin to consider, the hopeful future in which technological advancement has solved nearly all the problems of the present. Star Trek epitomizes the perfect future, where we live in harmony with not only ourselves and our environment, but also with alien cultures and our own incredibly advanced devices. The truth I think lies somewhere in the middle, since rarely do things turn as as bad or as good as our overactive imaginations would suppose. Will drones, replicators, (etc. etc. etc.) cause problems? Without a doubt, but they also open up stunning new possibilities. Many times the risk is worth the reward. Every advancement of science and technology has faced endless controversy before becoming quite suddenly, just another part of everyday life, 3D printers will be no different.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 2:37 pm 
I like this post and would like to share NacMacFeegle's positive enthusiasm for remarkable technologies. The Star Trek allusion is very nostalgic. But we live in a mad world where MAD is possible. We already live in the worst imaginable possibility for a dystopian society: we enjoy our handy gadgets and live increasingly "enlightened" lives while under the constant threat of total nuclear annihilation of our species. It cannot get any worse than our complete destruction. So heck, on the bright side, it can only get better!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 11:27 pm 
Technology to the rescue:

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 12:05 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
With any new technology comes new challenges and dangers, along with the inevitable predictions of doom. There are heaps of dystopian science fiction novels filled with dire portrayals of advanced societies gone wrong. However, there is the opposite side of the coin to consider, the hopeful future in which technological advancement has solved nearly all the problems of the present. Star Trek epitomizes the perfect future, where we live in harmony with not only ourselves and our environment, but also with alien cultures and our own incredibly advanced devices. The truth I think lies somewhere in the middle, since rarely do things turn as as bad or as good as our overactive imaginations would suppose. Will drones, replicators, (etc. etc. etc.) cause problems? Without a doubt, but they also open up stunning new possibilities. Many times the risk is worth the reward. Every advancement of science and technology has faced endless controversy before becoming quite suddenly, just another part of everyday life, 3D printers will be no different.
up.gif up.gif Sure are a lot of grouchy curmudgeons around here. "Hey you kids, get off my lawn!" Weapons in all shapes and sizes are currently readily available to anyone who desires them. I don't think the existence of a replicator capable of making a gun, sword, spear, or shovel will increase the number of people desiring to commit mayhem.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 3:44 pm 
Printing technologies are getting very interesting. And yes new technologies often have a tendency to amplify all human tendencies, whether good or bad or otherwise. if 3-D printing in particular has somewhat of a democratizing effect on access to small-scale manufacturing (which seems likely), I think the net will be positive. But yeah, wolffie's neighbors will have an increased ability to mess with him. Worth the cost, I think, and social influences still apply to moderating the worst tendencies of humans, however they are enabled.
Malachai Constant wrote:
I would worry much more about do it yourself DNA or Proteins
I talked for a bit to one researcher who has spent a fair bit of time in and around the mix of "engineering life" (i.e. stuff like synthetic genomics) and use of biology in engineering (e.g. biomolecular programming). He of course just has yet another opinion and there are many folks (e.g. Craig Venter) who are way more optimistic, but in any case this guy pointed out that DIY DNA and proteins is very tough - that life has many mechanisms for attacking and weeding out strange mutations, and that it will be a very long time before we see more than a few very small successes in this area. FWIW he is much more positive about using biomolecular programming approaches to doing things like using DNA to create new kinds of logic circuits - but even here he believes that we are just almost at the sort of threshold with this stuff that Shockley created with the solid-state transistor in 1947, and that it will take a similar length of time from here to move through the sorts of advances we saw in semiconductors over the last several decades (e.g. the first commercial microprocessor - laughingly limited by today's standards - came out in 1970). So I think we have a while before we need to worry too much here, but perhaps I'm buying into too pessimistic view of the likely pace of advancement here.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:24 pm 
The scary thing about DNA and proteins is that it is easy for them to be self propagating provided thy have nutrients such as living cells. As far as logic elements I thing they will always be slow, right now we have devices capable of using a single electron and probably an electrons different energy states which is about as small as possible unless you are considering quark flavors etc.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 pm 
How much does it cost to print a set of carbon fiber trekking poles? How about a pair of snowshoes?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:32 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
How much does it cost to print a set of carbon fiber trekking poles? How about a pair of snowshoes?
I'm not sure, but I think carbon fibre requires a more advanced printer than the Makerbot. Here's an article about a working car made of printed carbon fibre: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/19/so-this-exists-a-working-car-has-been-3d-printed-out-of-carbon-fiber-plastic/.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
As far as logic elements I thing they will always be slow
Possibly, but there are interesting potentials such as around interfaces with living cells.