Forum Index > Trail Talk > How to name a mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills

zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 6:23 pm 
It's harder than you think.. "How can I name an unnamed natural feature? Proposals to name an unnamed natural feature may be submitted to the U.S. Board on Geographic Names as described below. The Board is responsible by law for standardizing geographic names throughout the Federal Government, and promulgates policies governing issues such as commemorative naming, derogatory names, and names in wilderness areas. Generally the most important policy is local use and acceptance. Please note that no natural feature (and certain manmade features) may be named for a living person. A potential honoree must have been deceased for at least five years, and must have had either a direct and long-term association with the feature, or must have made notable civic contributions. Upon receipt of a proposal, all interested parties will be asked to comment. The Board makes decisions only after receiving recommendations from the local government, county government, the State Names Authority (in 50 States, the District of Columbia, and 2 Territories), and appropriate land management agencies. Only name proposals for natural features will be accepted (see FAQ #7 for information on administrative feature names—churches, cemeteries, schools, parks, shopping centers, etc). A new name proposal may be submitted using the Domestic Geographic Names form (PDF version) mailed to U.S. Board on Geographic Names, U.S. Geological Survey, 12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, MS 523, Reston, VA 20192-0523. Alternatively, the online version of the form may be used. Please read the Principles, Policies, and Procedures in the Main Menu to the left before submitting a proposal. An information packet and forms can be mailed upon request. The entire process is free of charge, but will take approximately six months. For more information contact the GNIS Manager." http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/faqs.htm Guess my dream of Taima Peak is a bit harder them I'd like...

To see the world, Things dangerous to come to, To see behind walls, To draw closer, To find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of LIFE.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 pm 
zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills

zachpratt25
hikinginthe hills
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 pm 
Seems there is a proper way. That'd make it Taima Peak.

To see the world, Things dangerous to come to, To see behind walls, To draw closer, To find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of LIFE.
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 10:08 pm 
I don't suppose I could make these suggestions for amendments: "Blue Mountain" should be "Gunsight Peak" (all locals call it this) "Colchuck Pass" should be "Asgard Pass" (it even has an address) "Daniels" should be placed over Mt. Daniel's true summit to the West "Mt. Hardy" labels the wrong mountain to the NE. It should be over a point that is 8,080+' It would be nice if "Kololo Peaks" and "Luahna" were labeled

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 10:14 pm 
It should be hard. I wish so many names weren't assigned when they were by Forest Service supervisors trying to organize fire fighting logistics, and early Mountaineers outings for favorite club leaders (e.g. Little Big Chief, Wright, etc.). I think the situation where hikers and climbers pass around informal names to identify peaks is working well. I do not want most of these to become official. The mountains will be there for thousands of years -- leave some naming for those that follow.

iron

iron
PostWed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I do not want most of these to become official.
up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 am 
Where does a "Butte" fit into all of this?

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 1:04 pm 
Where does "I do not want most of these to become official" fit into a thread about naming mountains? clown.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 1:37 pm 
don't we name them after enemies of the USA? Rainier?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 9:06 am 
George Vancouver named Rainier for after a friend, from a ship in the pacific. I highly doubt Peter Rainier has made any relatable civic contributions, and his association with the mountain is clearly less notable than that of the Puyallup. Which is why I insist on referring to our states highest point as Tahoma - Mother of Waters

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:39 pm 
Rainier was another Brit captain which fought against the Americans in the Revolution.😒

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
There's an obscure rocky nub I'd like to name so I figured I'd just go there one day & place a register w/whatever name I decide upon & call it good. clown.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Nov 01, 2019 12:05 pm 
For some time I have thought about proposing some names for regional geographic features that have unofficial but commonly-used references, usually in local parlance. I've also wondered how easy it would be to officially name a couple of currently-unnamed creeks/lakes which are not too prominent for which I doubt there'd be much debate, interest or disagreement given their relative obscurity. I thought many of you might have had similar passing thoughts or questions, so I'm sharing these resources to inform, assist and direct you if you're curious or serious about pursuing a name proposal. As you might guess, it is not an easy thing to pull off, nor do I believe it should be. One note of interest - generally no new names for unnamed features in official wilderness areas. USGS Home Page for Geographic Names USGS Geo naming Principles, Policies, and Procedures

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostFri Nov 01, 2019 12:19 pm 
I enjoy making up fake names for unnamed peaks that I climb. My favorite from 2019, The Bergy Bit, for the unnamed hump between Mount Berge and Mount Cleator. https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/glossary/term/bergy-bit

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm 
Why do you need a name? Peak 6850 works fine for me.