Forum Index > Photography Talk > Adobe Creative Cloud
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
I've been trying out some of the software options. I find I end up using more than one. PS Elements 13 is pretty good and ditto.gif what Jim said. No curves is a problem though. Good way to get the latest Camera Raw. DxO OpticsPro is good. I have the free v8 and am thinking about upgrading to v10. The camera/lens correction is great. Corel PSPro X6 is pretty good but I'm not using it so much. Lightroom v5. Just can't get into it. Probably should be using the database function though. PT Photo Editor I'm liking more the more I get used to it. full 16bit Faststone Image Viewer is my go to fast and dirty editor, viewer. I use it after PSE13 and others as it has curves and an easy resize function. It does a good job And free! Another freebie I just got to try out is Ashampoo Photo Commander 11

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conifers

Conifers
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I use an older version of Photoshop. It wasn't cheap and it does everything I need, so I don't see a reason to upgrade. No use for Lightroom, either.
As a daily user of photoshop for 15+ years, I agree with this.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 5:54 pm 
I used Corels software a long time ago, and I found it to be extremely inadequate in many areas. However, I've heard that it has drastically improved in recent years.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 6:13 pm 
Like others I made sure to buy the last non-cloud version (CS 6.5) because I wasn't sure how the CC transition would go. I will move over at some point because I do enjoy some of the new features. The price has improved now to the point where it makes sense for me. And wrt using older versions of Photoshop, there are a few features in CS 6/6.5 that were really important to me. Truly seamless photostitching is one, Context-sensitive fill is another (to fill in those empty sky corners of the photostitch), and layer alignment is a third (to manually blend exposure bracketed photos), and finally, dashed/dotted lines with the pen tool! In general what I like about Photoshop is that so far it's never crashed on me and I can customize the keyboard shortcuts to make what I do over and over again much more efficient. I started out a long time ago using gimp, and there's no comparison. I also like Photoshop elements for a cheaper more basic version that I use on my travel computer.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 9:34 pm 
Quote:
DxO OpticsPro is good. I have the free v8 and am thinking about upgrading to v10. The camera/lens correction is great.
My experience with DXO 8 was pretty much the opposite. The lens correction is good, yes, but the program was extremely sluggish (way more than LR - and this is running it on a 6-core processor with 16gb of ram), had an unintuitive UI, and most important for me its raw processing algorithms were absolutely horrible - the shadow / highlight recovery and tonal control that it offered was just lightyears behind what LR / ACR can do, and this to me is a perfect example of why right now it's so hard to ween off of Adobe's products.
joker wrote:
For Mac, there's Final Cut. For Windows, Avid is what a lot of pros use, from what I've heard.
Pretty much this. I have no experience with either, but when I took video editing in College, we were using Final Cut. And I've heard that Avid is basically the industry standard for big production work. No idea what kind of distribution there is across the studios in Hollywood, but I have a feeling Avid gets its share of use down there.
Quote:
Maybe so, but I would bet that a much larger factor was simply that they want to develop a much steadier and more predictable revenue stream
Yeah that's no doubt a big part of it too. But by placing their products in front of their customers, they're also doing quite a bit to reinforce the perceived need for continuing that revenue stream. It all goes hand in hand and I'm sure they've done plenty of research to figure out exactly what they had to do to optimize their income, and no doubt pissing off a lot of the more casual Photoshop users was just collateral damage.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 am 
I wonder if it's more about the fact that having all those other programs in the subscription bundle just helps folks stomach ponying up the subscription fee at the time of signing up - you know, maybe I'll use some of these well-known programs sometime etc. I would think that someone who is not using some of the apps would not have a "perceived need" for them reinforced. But in any case I'm sure you're right that they've done a lot of research into tuning the offer in the hopes of maximizing a combination of revenue and predictability of revenue.

mike

mike
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:08 pm 
ashampoo-photo-commander-11 Free download for 2 days. Don't know if it's worth it or not but the price is right. Make sure you uncheck the crap you don't want.