Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to get rid of cat killing birds at my feeder
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm 
Some neighborhood cat keeps coming on my porch and killing birds at my feeder. I think I need to help it learn not to come on my porch. Was thinking of using a have-a-heart trap, getting the cat, putting it in a box and returning it to it's owners (has a tag on it's collar) w/ a note explaining the situation. Yeah cats do this all over the place but it's time for this one to stop doing this on my porch. Any other ideas?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
Encourage coyotes wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
Get rid of the bird feeder. Cats will go where they wish and kill birds if they can. What do you think the cat owners can do to curtail their cat from coming onto your porch and killing birds? Lock it inside, maybe have a lil chat with the cat and tell it the error of it's ways? My Mom feeds birds on her porch, she had a Maine coon cat that would pretty much kill anything that moved....he would get a sparrow now and then, but never a Grey Jay...I say it's your birds faults, they are obviously too slow. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:33 pm 
Try sprinkling some wolf urine around your bird feeders. That will keep the cats away. http://thepeemart.com/

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:40 pm 
Get a dog and cats will avoid your yard like the plague.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Chico

Chico
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm 
Dang, read the topic and thought wow, birds are killing cats. You could rig up some hot wires. It's done to keep dogs, typically Siberian Huskies, in their yards. The breed loves to run so looks for ways to get over and under fences. A hot wire is one way to keep them in. Should be able to find info via a web search. I myself have not put one in. I would think one time and the cat is gone for good. Not dead, just smarter. Of course then the next cat will come along but you'll still have things ready to go. I would not set things up so a cat gets trapped in the wires. And you don't want it such that birds will get caught in it. Going to take some planning.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 5:44 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
If the dog is always out and hanging around the feeder then the birds might stay away as well.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:03 pm 
Chico wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
If the dog is always out and hanging around the feeder then the birds might stay away as well.
Our dogs spend a lot of time around the feeders, and the birds mostly just ignore them. However, now that I come to think about it, one of our dogs used to hunt birds occasionally before she got too old and lazy, so you might want to watch what breed you get!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:14 pm 
Around here people use the 3-S method. End of problem.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:46 pm 
mike wrote:
Around here people use the 3-S method. End of problem.
I agree, 3-S the birds. prod.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:53 pm 
Can you move the feeder to where the cat can't reach it? Having a number of moggies, I know, they have a wicked leap. However, if you were to put it off the edge of a porch or something, making a fall much less attractive, you may dissuade kitty from having a go. Here's a can of cat scare with a built in motion detector...I may have to try this one myself! It gets very good reviews. If you can put it in the right spot, you'll be good for all neighborhood cats, not just the one!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 7:03 pm 
Yeah, all the feeders are on poles hanging 4 ft off the side of the deck with about 10 feet of air under them. The dumb birds come land on the porch railing though and get nailed there. Think I might try wolf urine if only for the novelty. Not sure anything will want to use the porch...

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 pm 
I sure have had more than my share of other people's cats. I sleep outside much of the summer and fall and also leave the backdoor open. It is my house. Cats allowed outside kill wild birds. Nothing wrong with having cats stay inside. My neighbors all have outside cats, as if they have more rights on my property than I do. They will come inside and spray very stinky urine on my couch, walls, floors. Last summer, I went to bed and when I put my head on my pillow, it was soaked with stinky cat piss. Not any more. First I again had a short discussion with the neighbor. I claimed it was not fair to me. Then I said I would be wiring my yard and any cats entering my yard would get a nasty jolt. I have a high fence around the backyard. I installed an electric wire on it. No more cats. Another thing I do is to build lots of very unstable cairns with the many rocks I bring home from dozens of hikes. Cats like to rub on them and then are the recipient of a tumble of big rocks. I am not responsible for other people's trespassing pets. Maybe I will set out some bird feeders. I like cats, inside where they don't kill all the birds.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 8:08 pm 
I really don't get why it seems acceptable for people's cats to wander onto everyone else's property. People get all in an uproar if dogs do it, or kids, or snakes, or goats, or ... whatever. But cats get a pass for some reason. I don't want your cat on my property. Cats kill millions of birds every year. Heaven forbid a dog chases a squirrel in the woods, but a cat that kills birds all the time in residential areas is okay? Cats should be confined to your property and prevented from killing wildlife. (Except maybe gray squirrels and Starlings, since they're non-native pests anyway) If it were my property this was happening on, it would be dealt with. Fortunately my dog keeps my property cat-free.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 08, 2015 8:18 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I really don't get why it seems acceptable for people's cats to wander onto everyone else's property.
...Because cats are waaaay cooler than dogs, duh.
Bedivere wrote:
I don't want your cat on my property.
Too bad, cats are free as well they should be.
Bedivere wrote:
Cats kill millions of birds every year.
Ya so, it's what they do...people kill millions of animals per year and you care not about that?
Bedivere wrote:
Fortunately my dog keeps my property cat-free.
...well there you go, problem solved, see how easy that was?
sams rapids wrote:
I sure have had more than my share of other people's cats. I sleep outside much of the summer and fall and also leave the backdoor open.
...there is this ingenious new invention known as a "screen door"....what if a 'coon, squirrel, or maybe a skunk wandered into your house, no problem aye?