Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to get rid of cat killing birds at my feeder
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
JPH

JPH
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 2:03 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cats are clean and bury their waste, leaving very little trace, unlike the barbaric pooches, plus they provide free fertilizer.
Yeah, the cats on my street bury their waste in the mulch in my landscape areas all the time - it makes it really special when I go out to maintain my yard and I have to deal with all kinds of cat crap. down.gif There's really no great place around my house for outside cats to bury their mess, so it ends up all over - either exposed or very shallowly buried...and it's gross. mad.gif

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 2:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
As would you, maybe you should never leave the safety of your house again?
Nice Strawman. I do live in a house. When I go out I don't take a poop in the neighbor's yard, or run around with "feral" people and catch diseases. I don't have sex with every woman I see when they are in heat either...and if we do hook up and have offspring then I am responsible for them. I don't just let them live under a porch somewhere with weepy eyes and infected ears until they succumb to any of a number of diseases. I don't go kill birds under the neighbor's bird feeder either. I don't run in front of moving vehicles and get squished or inadvertently wander into a Rottweiler's yard and get maimed either.
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cats are clean and bury their waste, leaving very little trace,
Just because cats clean themselves with their tongue and saliva doesn't make them clean. Cats don't carry a trowel and a tape measure to make sure they get their crap buried to a proper depth. The cat crap I see it readily apparent at the surface with a little dirt scratched over it. It is recommended that cat poop is kept far away from toddlers and infants because they could have dangerous parasites in their poop. Ever hear of toxoplasmosis? You like cats and you own some; it is your right to do so...but your right to allow your cat to wander wherever it pleases stops at the property line. If cat owners took care of their pets properly, or at least confined them to the property on which the cat owner has legal access and claim to, then we wouldn't be getting all "cabin fevered up" about this. OP, you have a legal right to trap any animal that comes onto your property with a humane live trap. You then need to take the animal to the local pound/shelter. If the owner was responsible and bothered to identify their pet with a collar or chip then the owner will be notified. They can then come pick their pet up and may be required to pay a small fee/fine. Do not go dump the cat somewhere as that is cruel and it really isn't the cat's fault...it is the owner's fault and their lack of responsibility to keep an eye on their cat and keep it out of other people's yards. Do this enough and either the owner, or the cat itself, will eventually get the picture. Well, now that was some fun Cabin Fever banter, wasn't it?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 2:23 pm 
Schenk wrote:
OP, you have a legal right to trap any animal that comes onto your property with a humane live trap. You then need to take the animal to the local pound/shelter.
Good advice and preferred solution. However, in this county a property owner has the right to shoot a dog endangering livestock or people. Many will "liberally" interpret this. Especially since we have a serious feral cat problem.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mike

mike
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 pm 
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 3:14 pm 
Y'all have a lot of opinions on cats but not many solutions to get them to stay away from bird feeders. The cat I'm having issues with just brought 30 gallons of water down on itself when it tried to climb onto the porch this morning! What a commotion! I didn't see it but I sure heard it! I balanced two 20 gallon plastic totes across the stairs to get up onto the porch and filled them w/ water. The cat had to jump the totes to get up the stairs but brought everything down on itself instead. Heard everything fall, ran over to the window to see a SOAKED orange blur race out of my yard. Hopefully it'll learn. Totes are refilled and in position again. Birds are happily using the feeders.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 3:56 pm 
Chalk one up to ingenuity. Way to figure it out! If the cat learns to like water there is still the live trap option.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:00 pm 
Nice trick Jaberwock! Perfect.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:13 pm 
Do you know the bird-catching cat is your neighbor's, as opposed to a feral one? With that said, my former cat took some time to change from an outdoor cat (he was that when I adopted him) to indoor only. My current two are indoor, but one begs to go outside. Solution: leash. She will enjoy her outdoors on a leash, no fooling. But seriously, as a long time cat lover, cats can be a nuisance to others and letting them roam where they can dig in gardens or catch birds is not cool.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm 
Long ago and far away we used to have outdoor cats that brought is many "trophys", now we only have fat happy indoor cats.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
Sure, for every point there is a counter-point...but the reality is that an outdoor cat will go where it wants, they can be deterred, but short of killing, never really stopped. As it should be and always will be.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 8:29 pm 
laughing at that cat soaked trick....wait what are we talking about...?... simple to rig a motion dector to a bear spray cannister?....just a thought.... the cat version of off the leash doggie thread.. lol.gif lol.gif oh and great idea of contact paper for spots u no want kittah's on...!!

wheatie

wheatie
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Sure, for every point there is a counter-point...but the reality is that an outdoor cat will go where it wants, they can be deterred, but short of killing, never really stopped. As it should be and always will be.
So, how will you feel if my dog kills your cat because in came in my yard? What if my dog just seriously injured the cat? Will you pay the vet bills or will you expect me to? If I get pregnant will you do my gardening since pregnant women shouldn't be around cat sh##? If a neighborhood child becomes ill from cat sh## are you going to pony up for the medical bills? Are your cats spayed, neutered and vaccinated?

wheatie

wheatie
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:05 pm 
Oh and it's not that unreasonable to build a cat proof fence. Something that they can't get a grip on with their claws that is rigged to spin, like PVC pipe, on top of the fence and make it so they cannot dig under. Cat owners must just be lazy or not love their cats enough to be willing to build a good fence for them ( like dog owners do...)

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:28 pm 
wheatie wrote:
If I get pregnant will you do my gardening ...
lol.gif