Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to get rid of cat killing birds at my feeder
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
tom roy

tom roy
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 pm 
I have had squirrels, Racoons and one cat bother my bird feeders. I used traps and have relocated over 80 squirrels and one coon family of three. The cat was a tuff call what amazed me was it just crapped in our yard never buried it. We found out who owned it I trapped I took it to them and told them them the crap and bird problem was not acceptable.It never returned. Then small bird legs feathers and parts were showing up down by the utility building. Then one morning I saw a hawk down there eating a bird. We live in a neighborhood with large lots we are almost the only one that does not have a dog and most let their dog out so the animals come in our yard with no dog bothering them. I wonder sometimes if I we are just putting the birds at danger with the feeders? In my experience over the years the animal urine they sell is useless in our wet climate hot pepper powder last longer and seems more effective. Sprinkle hot peeper powder in your flower beds its cheep and the cats will stop crapping there.Or spray a mixture of diluted caster oil they hate that smell. Again cheap solution.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:54 pm 
There is a child on my street who is blind from cat sh##. Research toxoplasmosis if you think your cat is clean. A person in OR got the damn bubonic plague from his cat not too long ago. Real clean. Outdoor cats are disease-spreading vermin. But oh they're so precious its their right to blah blah blah. Tell that to the blind kid's mother. To the OP: Get a trap. Bait it with sardines. Drizzle some fish juice out the door of the trap for extra enticement. Put newspaper on the bottom to protect their stupid little feet from the wires, thereby encouraging them to enter. Also, wrap the trap in a blanket (make sure the trap can still work) to disguise it. When you catch it, you have two choices: 1. Take it to the shelter. They will just call the owner, but I think they charge a small fee to release the cat. They will also automatically neuter/spay the cat if it is not already fixed. Then the owner must pay for the procedure to get the cat back. 2. Drop it off in the woods as coyote food. You can also try to talk to the owners if you can find them. But as you can see by the evidence in this thread, cat owners with outdoor cats don't give a f### about their neighbors (or wildlife, for that matter). If you walk up to your neighbors' house with their cat in a trap, expect a hostile reception. IMO, there is virtually zero chance a cat owner would agree to keep their cat inside. After all, conscientious, respectful cat owners don't let them outside to begin with. (yes yes rural folks with barns etc. get a pass)

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 am 
Quote:
But as you can see by the evidence in this thread, cat owners with outdoor cats don't give a f### about their neighbors (or wildlife, for that matter).
Sure, paint all cat owners with the same brush. I, at least, specifically, mentioned that my cat goes outdoor with a leash. Apparently YOU don't give a f### about anything except venting.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:33 am 
I will say my wife plays bunko with the cat owner in their monthly gatherings I am sure this helped stop our cat from returning. As far as cat haters I grew with cats but we had land they never came in the house. When my parents would go out my brother and I would bring the cat in and give it warm milk and brandy. A drunk cat puts on quite a show. One time after a cat bender my dad said that cat could be sick its been laying in the same spot all day. My brother and I had to leave the room we started laughing. The cat was back to normal the next day. I always liked our cats better than the dogs we had.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 am 
wheatie wrote:
If I get pregnant will you do my gardening since pregnant women shouldn't be around cat sh##?
That has soooo many inviting responses, but uncharacteristically I'm going to leave it alone other than pointing this out.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 am 
I was reading up on more cat deterrence gizmos, the ultrasonic motion detector dealos on Amazon appear to work pretty well and many of them have high ratings, and I think they'd go longer than the sprayer since there's no ammo to replace.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:26 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
Sure, paint all cat owners with the same brush.
Paint the cat! Then send it home. up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 12:40 pm 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
There is a child on my street who is blind from cat sh##. Research toxoplasmosis if you think your cat is clean. A person in OR got the damn bubonic plague from his cat not too long ago. Real clean. Outdoor cats are disease-spreading vermin. But oh they're so precious its their right to blah blah blah. Tell that to the blind kid's mother. To the OP: Get a trap. Bait it with sardines. Drizzle some fish juice out the door of the trap for extra enticement. Put newspaper on the bottom to protect their stupid little feet from the wires, thereby encouraging them to enter. Also, wrap the trap in a blanket (make sure the trap can still work) to disguise it. When you catch it, you have two choices: 1. Take it to the shelter. They will just call the owner, but I think they charge a small fee to release the cat. They will also automatically neuter/spay the cat if it is not already fixed. Then the owner must pay for the procedure to get the cat back. 2. Drop it off in the woods as coyote food. You can also try to talk to the owners if you can find them. But as you can see by the evidence in this thread, cat owners with outdoor cats don't give a f### about their neighbors (or wildlife, for that matter). If you walk up to your neighbors' house with their cat in a trap, expect a hostile reception. IMO, there is virtually zero chance a cat owner would agree to keep their cat inside. After all, conscientious, respectful cat owners don't let them outside to begin with. (yes yes rural folks with barns etc. get a pass)
Mostly what I see evidence of is rampant intolerance on both sides of the cat fence, from a handful of self righteous and exceedingly vocal gits, neither of which appear to be capable of taking a look at what they're posting as they vent against their mirror image. moon.gif When a thread about cats becomes nearly a mirror image of an unleashed dog thread, minus the firearm posing, you know it's winter.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 1:12 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
When a thread about cats becomes nearly a mirror image of an unleashed dog thread, minus the firearm posing, you know it's winter.
We're way overdue for a mud slinging fight about horses, could that be next?

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 1:46 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Mostly what I see evidence of is rampant intolerance on both sides of the cat fence
Of course people are intolerant of other people's pets defacing their private property. Why shouldn't they be? I am supposed to "tolerate" people's pets shitting in my vegetable garden, killing the native wildlife, spraying their filth on my house, etc? You are correct: I am intolerant of such behavior. That you would attempt to somehow equate that with people who feel their cats have some sort of inalienable right to violate their neighbors' private property rights speaks volumes about the kind of cat owner you are.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 1:48 pm 
Oh my yes, jamming words into my mouth sideways with a sledgehammer really says volumes about me. biggrin.gif I'm the rural kind of cat owner. What does this infer to you, O Cat Sage? I love this.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 3:43 pm 
Cruel tactics work. reward your dog for chasing them. The dog will think it's a game and will hunt the cats! Hot pepper keeps them from coming back in areas my dogs cant get to. BB guns are cheap too. Outdoor cats have about half the life span of an indoor cat. If they really loved their cat they'd keep it indoors.

Badger

Badger
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm 
Haven't read the whole post so my bad if this has been brought up. On the My cat From Hell show the guy had devices you set in your yard that will detour cats. I know one squirted water. up.gif Or get a bigger cat than theirs...like a cougar. Lot more entertaining clown.gif

tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 4:32 pm 
Daryl wrote:
Outdoor cats have about half the life span of an indoor cat.
we had a outdoor cat that lived 14 years even with my brother and I getting him drunk a few times. but my parents lived in the country. he out lived our dog.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 pm 
Ok lets get cut the dog fighting in the cat thread. And this disturbing talk of pregnant women gardening turds and drunk cats will not stand! wink.gif