Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Batman
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 am 
People used to think that when someone loses their sight, their visual cortex goes dark. But that isn't always true. Many blind people learn to use echolocation to find their way through space. Their brains use sound to build a 3D model of the world around them, mind you it's a more rudimentary model than eyes get you, but parts of the visual cortex are involved in building it. I got a late start to the trailhead this weekend and listened to This American Life on the way, about the power of expectations to shape peoples behavior, and about a blind man who goes hiking, solo, and rides a bike. Using echolocation. Like a bat. This is fascinating and poignant and if you have the attention span to listen I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/544/batman

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 2:41 pm 
I've heard of this before and it is indeed fascinating. Ive tried closing my eyes and making clicks to see if there was any way i ccould make out anything and nope, not a chance. Imagine id actually have to be blind and forced to use my senses in that way before i could get the hang of it.

Frosty

Frosty
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 8:18 am 
I think it is fascinating that experiments with blindfolded people have shown that impulses from their fingertips when learning braile are rerouted to the visual cortex...talk about teaching old dogs new tricks!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif