Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Workout Music
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Jan 13, 2015 11:08 pm 
What's everyone listening to while they run/workout? My mix is putting me to sleep. I need some recommendations for individual songs to download. They will mostly be for running. Extra points if they are around 170 BPM. Recommendations? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerman

hikerman
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 am 
I have this on my iPhone. Not sure about other platforms. Set your own bpm or just "move"... Free ver: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailmix-run-with-music/id647651691 Paid ver: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailmix-pro-run-with-music/id479650960

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 am 
Usually I hear a lot of huffing and puffing. For some reason, music messes up my rhythm and makes it difficult to get into the "zone" Most of my "work outs" occur outdoors so it works out well as I like to be in touch with the surroundings too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 am 
up.gif Endorphins and music. wub.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am 
hikerman wrote:
I have this on my iPhone. Not sure about other platforms. Set your own bpm or just "move"... Free ver: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailmix-run-with-music/id647651691 Paid ver: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailmix-pro-run-with-music/id479650960
Which one do you use and what do you get extra if you pay $3.99?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm 
About the only place I use entertainment is at the gym where the boredom and pain factor is not offset by the joys of an outdoor environment, like great views and trees going by, (or a downpour). My gym pipes in an OK pop/club combo, which works out OK for lifting even if it's not exactly my favorite at home. On the stair climber I need more distraction than music can provide, I prop my Iphone on the console and watch shows on youtube. I find the mental involvement of following the story trumps pain better than music. I used to watch lectures, but then I found that light TV worked better. I worked my way through most of Bonanza (being a girlfriend of any Cartwright is lethal, the equivalent of a western redshirt), much of 'One Step Beyond', a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits precursor, and now I'm mining Perry Mason's mother lode of a zillion episodes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm 
KEXP has a few 1-2 hour long running music podcasts you can download from their site. I think you can get them through iTunes too. Nice mix of upbeat stuff without the usual noisy rock music gyms always seem to play. KEXP Runner Powered Podcast volume 1 Runner Powered Podcast volume 2

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm 
I usually don't listen to tunes while working out, UNLESS I'm lifting weights. Angry metal like Metallica consistently helps me lift more. embarassedlaugh.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:01 pm 
Thanks for the input everyone. They sound like good options I'll have to look into in a few months when I get a smartphone. For now, I'm relegated to the dated MP3 player. Although, it sure beats the cd's skipping and rewinding cassettes though!

hikerman

hikerman
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 5:42 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Quote:
Which one do you use and what do you get extra if you pay $3.99?
I have the Pro, aka paid version. I've had it for a while. I think it was only 1.99 when I purchased it. Looks like the differences are: http://trailmixapp.com/features/ PRO - Ability to lock in/adjust the pace manually. PRO - Magic Shuffle - auto finds songs to match your pace. PRO - Ad-free PRO - No playlist restrictions based on artist/album I have it on my iPhone 6 and still have it running on my old iPhone 4. Works best in your front pocket or in an armband. I think the free version had less restrictions when I first heard about the app. I've enjoyed it. The music still sounds fine to me at the slower or faster paces. It hooks into iHealth on my iPhone 6. I mostly use it when on the treadmill, on the bike when I do the Foothills trail from Sumner/Puyallup to South Prairie and back, or on long slogs like on the way up to Muir.

JPH

JPH
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 pm 
The entire Beastie Boys catalogue on shuffle.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 pm 
MLHSN wrote:
Recommendations?
Metallica? Pink Floyd? Yeah, I like those...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
touron

touron
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 10:43 pm 
Individual songs? The Heart of Rock and Roll, Huey Lewis What better song for exercise than one that starts with a heartbeat DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 9:39 am 
For just working out in a gym I am fine with anything that is not a slow song. If I were running I tend to like music by Metallica, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Within Temptation, Amaranthe, ... a hard driving pounding type music. My wife tends to run to slow songs. I don't get how. confused.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
ree

ree
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 10:19 am 
MLHSN wrote:
I need some recommendations for individual songs to download
I lean towards oldies - "Gonna Make You Sweat" - C + C Music Factory (80s) "Who? Where? Why" - Jesus Jones (90s?) "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen (late 70s) "War" - Joe Satriani (1992) "Rock Lobster" - B-52s (1979)