Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Ann and Lake Ann loop - 2015-01-14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 pm 
Mount Shuksan from summit of Mt. Ann
With a great weather forecast, extremely low avalanche risk ( http://www.nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/avalanche-region-forecast/1058/cascade-west-north-baker/ ), and nicely consolidated snow, Liesl and me decided to go to a place that always delivers: the Mt. Baker / Mt. Shuksan area. We headed for Mount Ann, with the plan to make it a loop via Lake Ann if the conditions were good. The snow conditions were near perfect (for this kind of activity and footwear at least, ski people are probably less happy), so we ended up doing the full loop. It was a gorgeous day and I can highly recommend considering doing Mount Ann as a loop, and not just to Mount Ann and back. I used Jeb's very detailed report from early 2014 as a resource, thanks! We started our hike at about 7:30am from the parking area. There were two other cars in the lot. I noticed only later that a person was sleeping in one of the cars (sorry if I woke you up ...). That was also the last person I saw the whole day.
First morning sun on Mt. Larrabee while ascending to the Austin Pass
First morning sun on Mt. Larrabee while ascending to the Austin Pass
Table Mountain and Cabins
Table Mountain and Cabins
Early morning view of Table Mountain
Early morning view of Table Mountain
To the Austin Pass I used only my hiking boots. The snow was nicely consolidated by all the people heading to Artist Point. I started my descent from the Austin Pass on the south side of the creek, not following the trail (the terrain is much steeper on the trail, and as I found out on the road back the trail begins in the middle of the ski area). I used crampons for this part, which was convenient on the icy snow.
View when starting to descend into the Swift Creek valley from Austin Pass, with Annette in the middle, and Mount Ann (the objective) barely visible on the right
View when starting to descend into the Swift Creek valley from Austin Pass, with Annette in the middle, and Mount Ann (the objective) barely visible on the right
The beginning of the valley (until you cross the creek and enter a forest) is quite pretty, with big open meadows and nice views of Mount Ann and Shuksan. After crossing the creek the snow got much softer, due to the low elevation and less cooling during the night. I had to put on my snowshoes there after attempt to posthole it for a bit too long. There are a few snow bridges here that you need to be careful with. Overall I didn't care much for the forested section of this hike.
Swift Creek valley with view on Mt. Shuksan, with in the foreground the ridge of Pt. 5112, Annette, and Mount Ann (not visible). The lowest point on that ridge is the trail to Lake Ann.
Swift Creek valley with view on Mt. Shuksan, with in the foreground the ridge of Pt. 5112, Annette, and Mount Ann (not visible). The lowest point on that ridge is the trail to Lake Ann.
Previous avalanches coming down from Huntoon Point
Previous avalanches coming down from Huntoon Point
First view on Mt. Baker while traversing through the forest at  about 4100ft
First view on Mt. Baker while traversing through the forest at about 4100ft
Mount Ann - The rocky peak in front is not actually the highest point. The snow dome in the back is.
Mount Ann - The rocky peak in front is not actually the highest point. The snow dome in the back is.
The crossing of the east branch of Swift Creek was a bit tricky, and my dog initially refused to join me, but after some negotiation and hand holding we both turned out on the desired side of the creek.
Mt. Baker and the Ptarmigan Ridge
Mt. Baker and the Ptarmigan Ridge
Closer view of Mount Ann during the ascend
Closer view of Mount Ann during the ascend
For the ascent I had various routes in mind after studying the slope shading on CalTopo. I ended up taking the more common route, because it is so natural to gradually climb up from valley. Views on Mt. Baker open up nicely during the climb. I switched back to crampons when the snow got more solid. This area seems to be in the shade most of the day, so there was even still a thin layer of fresh snow.
Mt. Shuksan peaking over the ridge
Mt. Shuksan peaking over the ridge
Shuksan Arm peaks becoming visible
Shuksan Arm peaks becoming visible
Avalanches below Annette (Pt 5681)
Avalanches below Annette (Pt 5681)
I managed to avoid steep traverses by following the gully at the higher elevations (obviously don't do that with avalanche risk), and then basically arrived straight at the more flat ridge area. This was easier than more exposed routes, either more east than my track below Annette, or to the west.
Mt. Shuksan and Annette from ~5300ft
Mt. Shuksan and Annette from ~5300ft
Broad ridge between Annette and Mount Ann
Broad ridge between Annette and Mount Ann
The ridge to Mount Ann was unexpectedly heavy (although this might have been more of a mental issue). It has a few small hills that you need to go up and down. The ridge had interesting animal tracks that were unfortunately to vague to identify. I wonder what animals wander around at this elevation.
View on the North Cascades from the ridge
The last little bit to Mount Ann I ended up going straight up, which was a bit more steep than I liked. On the descent I staid on the south ridge on Mount Ann longer, which was pretty easy going (besides having to navigate tree and treewells).
Panorama of Mt. Shuksan and Annette in the foreground
Wide panorama of Mt. Shuksan and Baker Lake from summit of Mount Ann
Wide panorama of Mt. Shuksan and Baker Lake from summit of Mount Ann
Baker Lake
Baker Lake
Liesl enjoys the view as well
Liesl enjoys the view as well
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker, Ptarmigan ridge, Artist Point, and the border peaks
Liesl admiring the view at the summit of Mt. Ann with Mt. Baker in the background
Liesl admiring the view at the summit of Mt. Ann with Mt. Baker in the background
Martin and Liesl at Mt. Ann
Unnamed lake on the east slope of Mount Ann
Unnamed lake on the east slope of Mount Ann
Human (left) and unknown animal tracks (right) on the ridge
Human (left) and unknown animal tracks (right) on the ridge
Looking back at Mount Ann. Up we pretty much went straight up. Back we descended more gradually to the left.
Looking back at Mount Ann. Up we pretty much went straight up. Back we descended more gradually to the left.
Next the plan was to go to Lake Ann. Key to the traverse was to get to about 5100 feet on the east side of Pt 5681, because it is pretty steep higher up. This was easy to get to, which nice hills and smooth descents without exposure. The traverse was even better than I expected, because the terrain has small rolling hills, so you can easily navigate the less steep parts. The descent to Lake Ann was easy as well. If you are not comfortable with the steep climb to Mount Ann, then going via Lake Ann seems like a good alternative.
Lower Curtis Glacier
Lower Curtis Glacier
Impressive runout from avalanches
Impressive runout from avalanches
The eastern slope of Pt. 5681 (Annette). We traversed this slope at about 5100ft
The eastern slope of Pt. 5681 (Annette). We traversed this slope at about 5100ft
Hiker and dog
Hiker and dog
Lower and Upper Curtis Glacier
Lower and Upper Curtis Glacier
Looking back at Annette from the slope above Lake Ann
Looking back at Annette from the slope above Lake Ann
I was stunned by the view above Lake Ann. The lake with Lower and Upper Curtis Glacier was truly gorgeous, and the steep peaks of the Shuksan tower over the valley in a gorgeous way (the glory of this place does not quite come out in the picture).
Panorama of Lake Ann with Mt. Shuksan
Panorama of Lake Ann with Mt. Shuksan
Lake Ann, Lower Curtis Glacier, and Upper Curtis Glacier
Lake Ann, Lower Curtis Glacier, and Upper Curtis Glacier
Liesl again enjoying the view
Liesl again enjoying the view
Lake Ann and North Cascades in the background
Lake Ann and North Cascades in the background
Going back from Lake Ann to the Swift Creek valley was easy with smooth slopes. There had been quite a few avalanches there, but those were not a concern for today.
Annette and Mount Ann - Earlier today this is the ridge we traversed
Annette and Mount Ann - Earlier today this is the ridge we traversed
Annette and Mount Ann
Annette and Mount Ann
Table Mountain, Artist Point, and Huntoon Point
Table Mountain, Artist Point, and Huntoon Point
View on Swift creek valley and the Austin Pass while descending from the pass, returning from Lake Ann
View on Swift creek valley and the Austin Pass while descending from the pass, returning from Lake Ann
I decided to follow the actual trail back up to the Austin Pass, which was a mistake. First it traverses some nasty slopes with previous avalanches, but most importantly I forgot that I went down starting at the edge of the ski area. Obviously, the trail then dumped be in the middle of the ski area. Fortunately nobody was there, so I safely went back to the boundary and walked back to the car, arriving at 5:15pm. - 11.5 miles - 3900ft gain
GPS Track of Mount Ann / Lake Ann loop
GPS Track of Mount Ann / Lake Ann loop
I think I included all photos here, but anyway the full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/sets/72157649900927118/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 pm 
Wow, that is gorgeous.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 4:21 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Nice photos. This one makes me wonder, are dogs susceptible to snow-blindness?

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 4:26 pm 
Chico wrote:
This one makes me wonder, are dogs susceptible to snow-blindness?
Yeah, apparently they are, but at least my dog will certainly not allow me to protect her wink.gif. My criteria is mostly to observe that she has fun and does not seem bothered, but I don't know if that actually works.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostFri Jan 16, 2015 10:26 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif eek.gif agree.gif Gorgeous slobber.gif Love it! Looks like you two had a wonderful day to be up there. That was a favorite trip of Gus'.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
silence

silence
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 9:57 am 
Stunning pix .... awesome hike ... thx for posting!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Love it! Looks like you two had a wonderful day to be up there. That was a favorite trip of Gus'.
Yeah, it was definitely a wonderful day. Liesl particularly likes going out in the snow when she can run around on the snow pack, rather than just in my tracks. That was certainly not an issue this week smile.gif. Hope the memories are good for you! silence, thanks, glad you liked the report.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 pm 
Nice trip. That's one of the most fun and scenic WA winter trips I've ever done.

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm 
Really nice pics - captured some amazing scenery. Love seeing your dog out there enjoying it with you!!