Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Subaru Forester
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 02, 2015 3:17 pm 
1900,000? Almost 2 million miles? Can't believe the CV joints could last that long among other parts unrelated to the engine. Personally I wouldn't touch places like Jiffy Lube. Yea I have in the past. Half the time they don't fill it right, and who knows what they are filling it with, not to mention they like to strip the oil pan screw and/or not replace the gasket or whatever so you end up with an oil drip in the garage or in your driveway. And they aren't really cheaper anyway. Had to have a "repair kit" on our 2008 Honda CRV to stop the drip in the driveway. At least Firestone didn't charge us. Who knows who messed that up. It may have been a previous place. Finding a mechanic you can trust (even for such simple things) might be one of the ultimate challenges. I used to have one but he moved on and closed his shop. Changing it yourself with a fumoto valve is one answer. Just not sure I want to even mess with that for various reasons.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Feb 02, 2015 5:09 pm 
My bad 190,000. BTW the last 15 years or the Couriers life was spent as family vehicle to haul stuff I parked it at my parents house. I drove it 70 miles to work Rt for 15 years it was cheap and easy to park. I donated it to charity three years ago when my mom passed they drove it away. We kept in her driveway when she was under home care so people knew someone lived there. I have been driving for over 40 years and had six vehicles ( other than the motorcycles) still have three in the family . Bought every one brand new and maintained them. The auto industry has not made a lot of money from dealing with me. Motorcycles hold the value far better than any car I have ever owned.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 02, 2015 5:34 pm 
Had a Nissan Maxima with 215K for 15 1/2 years it was overall a great car. Bought new in August 1999. Only repairs of any significance beyond normal maintenance items such as brakes, oil changes, fluid changes, battery replacements etc: Bad computer early on (should have been a recall ~ $600) Radiator sprung a leak with over 150K miles(cost < $150 to replace) rear differential leak (~700 mostly labor) oil leak in engine area (old seals ~ 600 mostly labor). EGR valve blew out about 200K (~ $250 to replace). I'm probably forgetting something, but I know the engine/transmission never had any work done on them. At 215K: timing chain started making noise, but it still ran basically OK. Shops say a tired engine as the chain is run by oil pressure. I'm not so sure but... CV joints were bone dry/needed replacement but never did the work. Who knows how long they had been bone dry. No one had every mentioned it. It couldn't have been brand new. Timing chain noise wasn't horrible. Didn't want to repair CV joints though that was more of a concern for safety reasons. Cut bait time. Car got donated as I didn't want to deal with it anymore. It might have drove OK another who knows how long.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat May 02, 2015 8:50 pm 
It has been 13 years since we had to deal with buying a new car. But a few days ago we finally decided that the time had arrived to trade in our 13 year old Legacy wagon. The next time you go car shopping yourself, hopefully you will find these notes to be useful. My #1 suggestion is to head to the dealers near the end of the month and in the morning. Near the end of a quarter might be even better. The sales person, manager, department head and dealership all have sales targets for each reporting period. If the end of the reporting period is near and the sales target has not yet been hit when your smiling face shows up on their doorstep, then you will be able to get a better deal. We live on the Eastside and so the Subaru dealers in Kirkland, Bellevue and Renton are not that far away. We went to one of these and took a forester for a test drive. Nice. When the salesperson started into their spiel about picking a model and accessories we announced that first we were going to a Mazda dealer to test drive the CX-5. After listening to a recitation of how the Subaru AWD is better then anyone else’s, we left. At the Mazda place we mentioned that we were comparing the CX-5 to the forester. The salesperson helping us suggested that on our test drive we go to a Subaru dealer and park next to a forester and really compare them. Brilliant! We drove to a different Subaru dealer and did exactly that. With the forester and CX-5 parked next to each other it was immediately obvious that the rear door on the Mazda CX-5 slopes in at the top much more than the forester. This cuts down on headroom for our large dog. Also when I sat in the driver’s seat of the CX-5 my right knee rested against a piece of metal trim on the edge of the center console. This bugged me. The visibility via the rear view mirror in the CX-5 was not as good as the forester. And to get a rear view camera (which we decided is a great safety feature) we would have had to take a higher CX-5 model whereas all foresters have one. Those were some of the factors that caused us to decide on a forester. And since this will be our 5th Subaru no doubt there is at least a tiny bit of bias in favor of another one. We got a price from the Subaru salesperson where we did our side-by-side comparison and left. We never mentioned any price ourselves sitting in any showroom. We did all the negotiating by phone with a bit of email tossed in. In addition to MSRP each car has an “invoice” price (aka dealer cost). While it is true that the dealer may well pay that amount for the car it is also true that the manufacturer gives rebates back to the dealer. Thus, the dealer’s ultimate cost for the car is a fair bit below what is represented as the “invoice price” or “dealer cost”. That afternoon I went to http://www.carsdirect.com/ and entered our info and selected a Subaru dealer that we had not visited. After a bit I got an email back from their internet sales person. This is where is got interesting. The most basic forester has a manual transmission, steel wheels with hubcaps and no roof rail. There are a *very* small number of these at area dealers. And while we were shopping for a basic forester, we did want an automatic, the allow wheel package (includes roof rails) and certain accessories. The internet sales person said they had a model forester we wanted in the color we wanted and with certain accessories. MSRP $25,207. Dealer cost $23,614. He said we could buy for $22,600. This was late in the day one day before the end of the month. He said his department head told him that morning that during the last two days of the month they were going to make screaming deals. The next morning I called the dealer closest to where we live. They quickly agreed to match the deal. They had a car on their lot that already had the accessories we wanted except for one. I said we would buy from them if they tossed in the other accessory and they agreed. I gave courtesy calls back to the other two sales staff that we had contacted saying we were buying from a different dealer. Shortly after I completed one of those calls that person’s manager called asking if they could sweeten the deal in order to entice us to buy from them. We declined since we only have a finite amount of time to put into this project, we felt we had a fair price and wanted to buy from the dealer closest to us. We took our 13 year old legacy (103,000 miles) to the dealer where we were buying and they offered $2,800. Considering that the car needs a major servicing, air condition service and has a do-it-yourself paint patch on the rear bumper we considered that a fair price. Then we were passed off to the finance manager who tried to sell us an extended warranty, maintenance contract, blah blah blah. We showed zero enthusiasm and said this will be our 5th Subaru and we never need any of that stuff plus everything we read online says not to buy that stuff. He then allowed that he has some flexibility and suddenly the price for the extended warranty and maintenance contract (only things we might consider buying) dropped by about $650. He said we can decide to buy anytime during the first 1,000 miles. We signed stuff to buy the car but did not buy anything extra from the finance person. We waved goodby to our old car as we left in our new forester. The extended warranty (Gold Plus) being offered was for 7 years or 75,000 miles for $2,135 reduced to $1,500 by the finance manager. The maintenance contract being offered was for 42,000 miles for $1,435 reduced to $1,250 by the finance manager. Total reduced price we were offered was $2,750. The next morning we called the finance staff and said we would buy the extended warranty and maintenance contract if we could get them at $2,500. They quickly agreed. Easiest $250 we ever made. Lessons learned 1. Cars often already have certain accessories installed. When the dealer gives you a price and says they have such a car on their lot, find out what accessories are already on the car. Confirm that the price they are quoting you includes the accessories already on the car. You might want to jot down the VIN. 2. If you have any possible interest in an extended warranty or service contract then *before* you start negotiating on the price of the car go talk to the finance staff and drag a price out of them for anything you might buy. Now you are ready to dicker. Maybe something like: I will buy the car for $x if (1) you include the following additional accessories and (2) you sell me the extended warranty and service contract for $y. If you agree on x before you negotiate y, then you lose leverage. <== Biggest lesson learned. Best of luck to those of you car shopping.

RichP

RichP
PostSat May 02, 2015 9:05 pm 
Good info, Joey. Thanks.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat May 02, 2015 10:21 pm 
Thanks for the story; it was quite riveting. up.gif
Joey wrote:
The extended warranty (Gold Plus) being offered was for 7 years or 75,000 miles for $2,135 reduced to $1,500 by the finance manager. The maintenance contract being offered was for 42,000 miles for $1,435 reduced to $1,250 by the finance manager. Total reduced price we were offered was $2,750. The next morning we called the finance staff and said we would buy the extended warranty and maintenance contract if we could get them at $2,500.
I'm trying to figure out what you get for this money. Is it an extra 4 years/39000 miles on the bumper to bumper plus 10 oil changes?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun May 03, 2015 5:22 am 
Magellan wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what you get for this money. Is it an extra 4 years/39000 miles on the bumper to bumper plus 10 oil changes?
http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/security/sas_brochure.pdf The Gold Plus extended warranty covers just about everything except a few excluded items. Think about all the chips and sensors cars now have. We are not driving all that much and expect to hit the 7 years before we hit the mileage cap. The maintenance plan covers all scheduled maintenance during the life of the plan. Anything longer than an oil change, we get a loaner car. Looks like there are 8 oil changes. At each oil change they rotate the tires. At various mileage points they inspect/replace other stuff. Tip of the day Before you take your old car to the dealer to get a price as a trade in, look under the hood even if you know nothing about what you see. We did so and then used our leaf blower to blast away a bunch of mouse/rat poop. gag.gif

Mouse Seeker

Mouse Seeker
PostSat May 09, 2015 1:42 am 
I NEVER expect to come to this site as a quest making an enquiry and end up knowing exactly what I am going to do. My Rendexvous is a 2003 and I am the orignial owner - I love my Rundy, but she is will be 12 yr old this fall and only has 82K on her - but starting to get some of the problem a Rundy gets. She looks like BRAND NEW. Rear seat only been raised twice just to see if we could get them up and down. Rear only been sat on twice in Wedding gownes and the passenger seat only use for 3 yrs. agree.gif I am going to MISS my Rendezvous & this time I will be doing the deal alone since my hubby has died. I have been writing notes like crazy taking in all of the information....3 yrs ago I was going to get a Rundy and stupid sales man put cold water on the by with his negative words. I am a smoker - I do no smoke in my car - and as the girl and I were on our way to make the deal - he pops off and says you aren't going to get much for your car because you are a smoker...I did NOT even go in the BUILDING - I just told the girl that her finance manager just lost her a deal...My CAR is 13 yrs old & never been smoked in - my car does NOT smell lilke smoke....I just said - I am Sorry but no man is going to demean me like that when he does has NO clue..."Thank you for your service but is there someone else on the lot I can DEAL with". The finance JERK killed a cash deal for that young lady....Have a nice day! smile.gif This new car will be my LAST CAR - and I want to ride in style so I am goiing to find my ronddie...he has to be white or champange and with a light eather interior but with the seat to be clothe.with leather trim. Then this girl is going out of here...to Co and then to Idaho and to the upper part of WA - just because I want to . Then come down the Coast line to Oregon and I have some thinga I want and need to do in Oregon. I got a drop camp/tent that attaches to the Runndy so I can sleep out when it is nice - it should fit the Subaru just fine.... My baby only has 82,000 but she has a problem all roundies get - she is all wheel get a little spongy one on side and she needs some gaskets fixed. IF they do not make it worth while I will just go else where. NO you guys I am a woman so give me some advise of how to handle the salespeople. I been taking notes all night....thing is I am going to pay cash so how do I squeeze the deals out? QUESTION anyone know if I can turn the dam head rest around...the push my head forward and that is not comfortable or safe fcr me. I have a long neck ....some cars you can turn the around,,,,will the Subaru allow me to do this

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 pm 
Regarding extreme heat and Foresters: Found a glitch in my 2015: "Check Audio System" alert and no audio data coming in on the screen, although the sound worked fine. The alert was present when I came out to my parked car at 4:00 in the afternoon in full sun on Monday with a temperature reading of 113 on the car's sensor, and Tuesday with a reading of 103. Today, it was only 99, and no alert. rolleyes.gif I checked in on a few Subaru forums and discovered the same issue among other later model owners in temperatures over 100. With this latest bout of heat, I would rate the Forester's AC system as merely "adequate", cranked at max. Just the same, recently passed the 1 year anniversary and I'm still pleased. tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
With this latest bout of heat, I would rate the Forester's AC system as merely "adequate", cranked at max.
Well my 2015 Outback will keep you cold if you want even in the recent heat.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm 
The newer cars I have been in seem to be lacking in AC power compared to the older ones. I wonder if something changed beside the juice they use.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
My 2006 is just over 100,000 and I took it in and they replaced wires and plugs the mechanic said after 10 years it's just getting broken in. AC is fine in this heat.

Living in the Anthropocene
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 10, 2015 9:29 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
With this latest bout of heat, I would rate the Forester's AC system as merely "adequate", cranked at max.
I think I got hypothermia in John's Outback. agree.gif

friluftsliv
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 6:50 am 
tigermn wrote:
Get Out and Go wrote:
Ditto. Except it was a 2015 Forester we were driving down into the gorge in this post: 105F in Columbia Gorge on I-90 last Sunday We were never anything but comfortable. Like I said, there: TGFAC agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 am 
Magellan wrote:
The newer cars I have been in seem to be lacking in AC power compared to the older ones. I wonder if something changed beside the juice they use.
I dunno. My 2015 Outback will freeze you out. In contrast our 2008 Honda CRV on a hot day needs to be blowing full blast and even then it won't freeze you out. But my 2000 Maxima was still blowing pretty cold after almost 15 years and 215K miles on the original/never serviced unit.