Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > what kind of antenna for HDTV signal?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 8:04 pm 
I have this: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Durable-Compact-Outdoor/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_tr_2 Bought it on the advice of the technician for the local TV district. Works fine, and I was in a very marginal area for getting analog signals (via transponders rather than direct from broadcast towers), before out area switched to digital. Digital DOES seem to work far better in marginal areas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Feb 06, 2015 11:27 pm 
well, i ultimately ordered the one yukon suggested. should arrive soon. install should be easy with the old satellite dish mount already on the side of the house. i will report back with findings. thanks all!

iron

iron
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 8:59 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
This antenna has worked extremely well for me. Went with a J mount and solid copper cable. http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html
got the antenna. installed today (took about 10 mins to remove the previous dish on the house and then put up the new one). works well. probably need to add a grounding line for the rare occasion of a lightning strike.

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:38 am 
so you were able to mount this where your dish was? were you also able to use the exsisting coax cabling from the dish to inside the house? I have DTV and want to cut, and was looking at antenna set ups. I was going to go with a flat window mount one, but if I can just swtich out the dish for an antenna, that would be optimal.

iron

iron
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:43 am 
yes, i used all the existing hardware and cables. worked pretty slick. the antenna i bought is targeted for a 2" pipe mount. that's the same mount that the dish had. the antenna has a u-bolt you slide over the mount and you align it to your TV stations you want. tighten down the nuts. connect the coax. done.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 8:02 pm 
Usable range for digital is less than the older analog signal, beyond 20 miles, with our local topography your pretty much S.O.L. The biggest problem for anyone north or south is getting KCPQ. Most broadcast TV signals come from Capitol Hill, but Fox transmits from Gold Mountain, west of Bremerton. An effective solution was provided to me years ago, and I find it works well. I use a Wineguard 4 bay bowtie in the attic, which I separated vertically down the middle, from top to bottom, then bent, so half can focus on Cap. Hill, and half on Gold Mountain. This saves me having to use a rotor. I use a good quality RG6 quad cable to the box, and make sure the antenna has a good house ground.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 6:11 am 
in the seattle area, channels 9, 11 and 13 are still operating in the vhf high band and are actually transmitting digitally on their original frequencies, so the so-called hdtv antennas designed to receive primarily uhf don't work so well for long distance reception. use an old-fashioned log periodic on the roof or even a set of rabbit ears for those channels. the low band vhf channels, 4, 5 and 7 have been reassigned to uhf frequencies even though the digital tuners still display the old vhf channel numbers. channel 13 also simulcasts most of the time on channel 22 uhf on one of their subchannels.

tom roy

tom roy
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 am 
My wife's uncle lived in Fargo after retiring from the family farm. He got a HD antenna free from a government program. It seems they want every one to have access to tv that does not want to pay. I don't know if you have to be retired to get it but he was worth well over $ 600,000 when he passed so being poor did not seem to mater. Like all the farmers in Iowa and North Dakota in our family you would think they are dirt poor to hear them talk but some retire and buy nice homes in Phoenix and Florida. And last I herd Farm land in North Dakota is only worth about $1,200 a acre. They seem to have great reception and range.So you might check it I would just the FCC. Maybe they no longer do this?

Galvia

Galvia
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 6:04 am 
We bought a couple for my in-laws from Walmart and were pleasantly surprised how well they worked ! One had a built in amplifier and that helped a lot. Even the cheap window stick on worked for them and they are not that close to any stations. A metal building will really kill the signal coming in. Mount the antenna as high as you possibly can. Add wire if necessary. Something like below really works well, even mounted in your attic (assuming no mountains in the way). Sorry for bumping...Just my two cents...