Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Are people too caffinated for intelligent conversation?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 am 
Over the past few years, I've noticed that most people I talk to on the phone talk too fast and without pausing, making it difficult to actually hold a conversation. I attribute it to the increased popularity of coffee over the past decade or two. As a result, I often have to interrupt them to get a word in edgewise. At times, I even comment to people, usually clients -- after finally interrupting them -- "Hold on, let me break in here ... I'm not being rude, and know everyone is hyped up on coffee today, but I need to get a word in here." Ever notice that? I'm a big coffee drinker too, but have learned to slow my mind down when I pick up the phone.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 am 
The global warming thread on this forum is a strong case against intelligent conversation. My wife is from Chicago and I grew up here. I had a hard time adjusting to conversations in her family. I was used to slight gaps between when one person stopped speaking and when it was OK for the next person to speak. In her family, people would talk over each other constantly. My wife was annoyed with me for not making conversation at family gatherings. I eventually learned to just start talking like the rest of her family. Its a toss up whether she is more or less annoyed now. BTW most of her family don't drink coffee -- they just talk a lot. Listening -- not so much.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:47 am 
Yesterday I went to get some food from a Thai place and while I was waiting for pick up there were Five people at a table and all of them were texting! They were sitting right next to each other and all of them were staring into their phones texting. Id say that people aren't intelligent enough for intelligent conversation!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:57 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Yesterday I went to get some food from a Thai place and while I was waiting for pick up there were Five people at a table and all of them were texting! They were sitting right next to each other and all of them were staring into their phones texting.
This is what drives me nuts. I was bussing into work the other day and we stopped at the Kirkland Park and Ride, I look outside to the people waiting, and every single person was looking down at their phone. No joke. There were about 15 people there and they were all looking at phones. Another time, I was going on a run and I see a group of three young kids (maybe 11-13 years old) walking toward me, taking up the entire sidewalk and looking down at their phones. I contemplated mowing them down, but instead moved onto the grass at the last moment. None of them looked up.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 1:04 pm 
crazyhiker wrote:
Another time, I was going on a run and I see a group of three young kids (maybe 11-13 years old) walking toward me, taking up the entire sidewalk and looking down at their phones. I contemplated mowing them down, but instead moved onto the grass at the last moment. None of them looked up.
Sidewalk hogs/oblivious walkers is a big pet peeve of my dad's. He probably would've mowed them down. I've seen him do it.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 pm 
There are distinct regional differences in rate of speed. There are also differences in when conversation moves from one person to next. In business I've also seen people who cut off others with the intent to prevent ideas that are not the one they prefer.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm 

Knows literally nothing
Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 6:26 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Sidewalk hogs/oblivious walkers is a big pet peeve of my dad's. He probably would've mowed them down. I've seen him do it.
"coming through!" BAM!

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 10:32 pm 
Nah, they're just talking real fast, trying to get it all said before their stupid cellphone drops the signal. Us oldsters can remember a time when you picked up a telephone and each party could hear the other. Cellphones are NOT an advance.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 pm 
You kids, get off my lawn!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 03, 2015 12:02 am 
it's not the coffee. it's TV and current day mainstream media. makes people stupid and talk gibberish. I get it all the time when I call businesses - they answer the phone like they're ready to wet their pants - I tell them they have to speak slowly for old people and they usually get it. if not, I just hang up and redial. no problem.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Jul 03, 2015 9:09 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You kids, get off my lawn!
HARUMPH!!!!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
touron

touron
PostFri Jul 03, 2015 9:32 am 
Dogpatch wrote:
Us oldsters can remember a time when you picked up a telephone and each party could hear the other. Cellphones are NOT an advance.
Or sometimes even a third party might hear both of you, at least in our family's case. I think we had one of the last remaining party-lines in Seattle. Sometimes you would pick up the phone to make a call and you would hear someone else talking already. strange.gif Or sometimes you would be talking on the phone and the party line would pick up their phone every once in awhile to let you know that you had been talking too long and it was their turn to use the line. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 pm 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Over the past few years, I've noticed that most people I talk to on the phone talk too fast and without pausing, making it difficult to actually hold a conversation. I attribute it to the increased popularity of coffee over the past decade or two. As a result, I often have to interrupt them to get a word in edgewise. At times, I even comment to people, usually clients -- after finally interrupting them -- "Hold on, let me break in here ... I'm not being rude, and know everyone is hyped up on coffee today, but I need to get a word in here." Ever notice that? I'm a big coffee drinker too, but have learned to slow my mind down when I pick up the phone.
I've noticed the same thing but I don't think it's them or the coffee--it's us! It's called getting older. As we age, it seems like everyone else is moving and talking at light speed as we slow down a peg. To me it always seems like it's the younger folks who are talking 100mph. I never talk to someone over 70 who is going a mile a minute. When you are older, you take your time with everything, including talking.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 04, 2015 8:58 am 
I simply say, "I'm from E. Warshington where we talk slowly." Yeah, time for somebody to post data conflicting with that, but it usually works and sometimes gets a laugh. I do not care for the yah yah yah which is overused and I think came from Seinfeld. To me, it seems like that is a rude way of saying that what the other person is saying is not important and they should hurry up so the Yah yaher can take over. Slow it down, please. Or you might could have to repeat it all over again, and again... biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities