Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 11:36 am 
kawi_200 wrote:
Product photographer who's image is going to be on a billboard or on the side of a building? Blow up the high res image and retain the image quality.
Oh goodie! Finally a rock solid rationale for trading in my micro 4/3 rig for something that weighs and costs 5 times as much! Now I just need to find some billboards and buildings in need of high res photographs..... wink.gif My camera has a panorama mode built in. So that's a wash... and lighter. Needing a faster burst rate to make up for not being able to time shots seems more like compensating for a skill issue. smile.gif Try shooting mtn bike action shots with the time lag of first generation digital cameras. Now THAT was a challenge that will hone your skills. If your lens didn't weigh so much, you could carry the right lens. And if the rig weighed a fraction of the weight, you could always toss in at least an "emergency" tripod that would do in a pinch. Pixel peeping compulsion comes at a terrible price...... Sort of in the same category of Extra High Definition TV. It is better but.... But hey, you have every right to spend your bucks and carry weight as you see fit. May he with the most toys win! biggrin.gif

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 pm 
kawi_200 wrote:
Crop. Product photographer who's image is going to be on a billboard or on the side of a building?
The size of the pixels on a billboard do not matter one whit as long as they are not larger than about 3 inches by 3 inches. Why? Because the viewing distance is at 100 or more feet. Thus, for a typical billboard you do not need, in fact you do not want, a higher resolution than about 4MP as this simply requires longer to paint and is more expensive to paint on top of this. Though they have come out with newer printers where the cost for higher resolution is not a penalty. The highest resolution typically needed for product photography is the side of a truck which is viewed from about 6 feet distance. Still does not require much resolution compared to today's cameras. EDIT: Sure, you can go ultra resolution, but one does not gain much of anything. Look today we can not even view our pictures at native resolution that we take them at as we could in the days of film for slideshows. The whole MP and more MP is absurd. We already have higher resolution than 4x5 view film in 35mm bodies. Common guys! Lets not be absurd. How many in the days of film were clamoring for 4x5 or its not good enough? Very very few. Now many wanted 2" film instead of 35mm... bawl.gif I always did like that format over 35mm. Oh well. EDIT: One place that might become popular in the future. Painting images in ones home on their walls. I keep waiting for someone to recognize that if one can paint accurately on the side of a truck, can just as well do so in the livingroom.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message