Forum Index > Photography Talk > Off-Brand Camera Batteries?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 12:58 pm 
So I just pulled the trigger and bought my first DSLR camera, a Canon SL1. I'm thinking I'm going to want extra batteries for multiday backpacking trips. The Canon brand batteries are pretty expensive. Am I taking a chance buying cheap off-brand batteries? I don't want to burn out my new camera. I've noticed a lot of people have an extended battery grip that looks like you can add a couple battery capacity. Are these worth the extra weight/cost etc. Does it only double your battery life? Any other suggestions for a newbie? Any off-brand batteries someone would suggest for the Canon SL1?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 2:15 pm 
I've had good luck with the aftermarket batteries I got at Frys. They had the Nikon branded ones for $45, and several aftermarket brands (Lenmar, Bower) that ranged from $8 to $20. The cheaper ones were actually higher mAH rated than the expensive Nikon labeled ones. I bought several each of the cheaper ones and they've worked fine, with no apparent ill effects. After mixed results and declining performance using a field charging device with my previous camera, I've switched to carrying a giant sack of charged batteries with me on long trips. Not a perfect solution- the batteries probably weigh more than the camera- but I hate running out of power just when things are getting good... It sounds like your new camera is considerably more expensive than mine; I was also hesitant to buy the cheaper batteries. I'm glad I did, though- I saved a lot of money and ended up with batteries that are longer lasting than the original.

mike

mike
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 2:20 pm 
I've had good luck with Progo brand batteries. At least as good as OEM, probably better.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 2:25 pm 
contour5 wrote:
It sounds like your new camera is considerably more expensive than mine; I was also hesitant to buy the cheaper batteries. I'm glad I did, though- I saved a lot of money and ended up with batteries that are longer lasting than the original.
A refurbished one off of the canon website is $360 with a stock lens. I thought that was a pretty good price and lightweight for backpacking. Thanks for the brand suggestions Contour and Mike. I'll check them out. New Canon batteries were running $60+ship/tax.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 2:37 pm 
How many shots do you guys get out of a battery? Just curious how many I would need for say a 4 day trip if I was taking a lot of photos.

mike

mike
PostSat Feb 07, 2015 3:35 pm 
Don't use things that suck power like chimping or gps or power zoom and you'll get a lot more shots/charge.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 pm 
I use 3rd party batteries and haven't had any issues. I would say for a several day trip two extra batteries should be sufficient (depending on how many pictures you take, one extra battery might be enough).

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 1:20 pm 
Voice of dissent here: When I bought my D200 it came with a couple spare aftermarket batteries. I have no idea what brand they were. They didn't last, both gave up the ghost while the Nikon battery kept on working. As to number of shots per charge, that's going to vary wildly from camera to camera and by lots of different circumstances including things like ambient temperature, what features of the camera you're using, how long the exposures are, etc. etc.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 5:11 pm 
Off brand batteries can vary a lot in quality. I look at the reviews on Amazon as a partial guide. If they cost one tenth what an official one does they are worth the gamble. A lot of times the manufacturer is the same with the off brand ones going out the back door.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 6:30 pm 
I'll pile onto the of folks pleased with their 3rd party batteries. I recall reading years ago to research the brand and find manufacturers that don't use Chinese cells. I don't know if it's legitimate advice or not, but I found a manufacturer that used Japanese cells and the batteries performed similarly to the Canon batteries I was using in my 10D, then 40D. I had a total of 2 Canon OEM batteries and 4 or 5 3rd party - one of the 3rd party batteries ended up failing to hold a charge after a few months, but I got 4 for less than the price of 1 OEM so I still felt like I came out ahead. Since moving on to a Fuji mirrorless, I've been pleased with the Wasabi brand batteries (as well as a spare charger) that I got off Amazon....bought simply according to good reviews.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 7:07 pm 
Glad you mentioned Wasabi, Jackchinook. That's one I just saw on ebay.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 11:05 pm 
I've been happy with a wasabi battery. More mAH, more photos.....i've got two that have been going strong for a few years now.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostMon Feb 09, 2015 12:27 am 
I have also used wasabi batteries for years. They really are good, and affordable.

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 09, 2015 7:22 pm 
I bought some off brand batteries for my old Samsung Rugby flip phone back in the day. Neither of them worked at all. I've had mixed results with those cheap off brand camera batteries. For my old Sony I bought like 3 and two crapped out very quickly and won't charge. One still works as does the original. Bought a coupe for my new Sony camera and so far they are both still working.

North Cascades

North Cascades
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 12:19 pm 
I've been happy with the Watson brand battery I bought from B&H last year.