Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pinto Valley Wilderness, Lake Mead NRA Feb 2-3, 2015 escape
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Feb 08, 2015 7:15 pm 
This is a little known area, I suppose, outside of Vegas hiking circles. But with no snow at home and my attitude plummetting, I needed a desert hiking and peak scrambling escape. I found this, and hopefully many more gems, outside Vegas. After a slow, lethargic logistical start in Vegas: rental car, food shop, map search...etc, I finally made it out to Lake Mead before dark. My first hike: an orientation to the local geography by hiking to the top of a local's peak on the border of the Pinto Valley Wilderness. Hwy 169 is the paved route that crosses about 1/2 the length of the north shore of Lake Mead National Recreation Area. The start of this ramble is opposite a trailhead known as Northshore Summit. Here's a map link: http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/upload/Lake-Mead-Detailed-Small.pdf My route map is all you need. Easy, fun class 2 for a nice 3 mile RT sunset hike.
Northshore route from Hwy 169
Northshore route from Hwy 169
Lake Mead National Recreation Area.  Pinto Valley Wilderness, Nevada
Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Pinto Valley Wilderness, Nevada
Light changing on Muddy Mtns Wilderness, NV
Light changing on Muddy Mtns Wilderness, NV
Lake Mead National Recreation Area 
Pinto Valley Wilderness
Lake Mead National Recreation Area Pinto Valley Wilderness
The summit in sight
The summit in sight
Pinto Valley Wilderness
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV
Pinto Valley Wilderness
Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV.  Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV. Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV 
Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV Lake Mead National Recreation Area
That night I camped at Callville Bay $10 bucks, but the last time I'd pay for camping for a while. Day 2 was more Pinto Valley Wilderness. The trailhead is actually for a short loop called the Redstone Loop. It is just 3 miles east of last night's TH on Hwy 169, The Northshore road. There are few actual trails here but the going is so pleasant in the sparse vegetated Mojave Desert. Lots of water this time of year surprisingly. Nothing runs of course. This day I chose a local's grouping of five Redstone Peaks done as a class 2 traverse. Rock it great volcanic stuff so make it more sporting if that pleases the fancy. Again the map explains it. Although, I extended it by going crosscountry over to the larger "Redstone" area in search of rock art. Short days...thus I ran out of time before I could find much.
RedstoneTraverse
RedstoneTraverse
Redstone Trail Lake Mead National Rec Area
Redstone Trail Lake Mead National Rec Area
Ah, my precious
Ah, my precious
Pinto Valley Wilderness
Pinto Valley Wilderness peaks
Pinto Valley Wilderness peaks
Looking south
Looking south
Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Little Valley
Little Valley
On Tall Cairn Peak
On Tall Cairn Peak
Trail const. by sheep
Trail const. by sheep
Ochres everywhere.
Ochres everywhere.
The traverse
The traverse
Arch!
Arch!
Class 3 fun
Class 3 fun
E. Redstone and Tall Cairn
E. Redstone and Tall Cairn
More sheep
More sheep
Spooked!
Spooked!
Layers upon layers
Layers upon layers
Pyramid and Saddle Mtns
Pyramid and Saddle Mtns
Remote wash walking
Remote wash walking
Muddy Mountains Wilderness in distance from the Pinto Valley Wilderness
Muddy Mountains Wilderness in distance from the Pinto Valley Wilderness
in the wash
in the wash
Umm, complete with sheep turd
Umm, complete with sheep turd
Distant Muddy Mountains from Pinto Valley Wilderness NV
Distant Muddy Mountains from Pinto Valley Wilderness NV
the Redstone area
the Redstone area
more agua
more agua
Pinto Valley Wilderness
Was up across all that
Was up across all that
sunset light
sunset light
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Northshore Redstone area
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Northshore Redstone area
last color
last color
Couple notes: REI sucks here, nobody knows anything about anything. Can't find 7.5 min topos anywhere. Come down with them already printed. Few "official" types seem to have any actual current route, water, or even road access conditions. Oh, roads suck..seriously. Glad my Honda is at the Bham airport because it does no good down here. These 2 hikes are few of the "from pavement" accessible hikes. My rental SUV is to get me to some tougher trailheads later in the week... and to free camping opportunities. With SUV, the free camping is excellent...I should have taken camp pics.'This guidebook: Afoot and Afield Las Vegas, Brian Beffort is good. Others only give GPS coordinates...like at everyturn. I don't give a rats a__ for coordinates, give me a damn map of the hike! More to come... Nevada: Muddy Mountains Wilderness Arrow Canyon Wilderness California: Clark Mountain Wilderness Kelso Dunes Wilderness Mojave National Preserve

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 am 
How cool that you got to see the bighorn sheep and petroglyphs! Looks like temps were great out there - judging by the short sleeved shirt and shorts. The desert roads are pretty awful and ever-changing due to flooding. Rain seems to run off the desert floor like teflon. We went to the REI in Summerlin. Slim pickins. We're spoiled up here with the flagship store. Thanks for the report on this area. I haven't done too much exploring in that particular area. That will change. smile.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:38 am 
jason wrote:
nice starting points. northshore peak is one of my favorites, love the views of bowl of fire from along its ridge. buffington pockets next to colorock quarry has nice rock art as well, and the same bright rock formations. same at whitney pocket. tons of off radar rock art to be found as well. with more mountains ranges than any other state, there is plenty to see here.
Hi Jason, I am saving Buffington Pockets and Valley of Fire for my next trip that way. Just home and missing the perfect temperatures, winter lighting, and country down there. Snow here at home would have helped the transition. Thanks for the tip on the Gold Butte rock art. P.S. Your TR's give me even more ideas! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
MojaveGeek

MojaveGeek
PostSun Nov 01, 2015 8:43 am 
Tip: Tons of route info (both pix, text, and coords) on the Lake Mead hiking options at my friend Jim Boone's site birdandhike.com. If you can do a short car shuttle or hitch on the paved road, there's a real nice long day (or multi-day backpack with a trip down to the lake to get water) the length of the Pinto Valley, with some stunning rock art in there. But speaking of rock art, Gold Butte (the area between the two arms of Lake Mead, from the Colorado and Virgin rivers) is unbelievable. I've been out there with Jim and he's got the best online doc you'll find of the area. There's a strong effort going on to get better conservation status to the area, and Jim is trying to support that by documenting. This is, of course, the area where Bundy runs his cows and the "militia" had an armed standoff with the BLM around over grazing and not paying grazing permits. Don't let this scare you off, it is totally stunning.