Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Spectacle Butte 10/24/2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NinJosh

NinJosh
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am 
In an effort to get one more T100 for the year, I set out to Phelps to do SSB on Saturday. I received little interest from partners so set out solo to tackle her. I camped out at Alpine Meadows CG Friday night and got all my gear sorted and had a nice dinner before the long day ahead. Saturday morning I forced myself up and to get ready. I started hiking and within 20-25 minutes I arrived at Box Creek. From there it’s pretty much straight up through the open forest at first, then following the ridge up into Basin below Ice Box Peak. Continuing on with little breaks, I made it to Ice Pass in 3 hours from the TH. I descended into Ice Lakes and made my way to the lower lake, then found the outlet stream and followed it about 200-300 feet down and started traversing over to SSB. I crossed the gully which was a lot easier than I expected, then continued up to gain the ridge. About 30 minutes from the summit the clouds had really rolled in, almost instantaneous. I had been pretty good about punching in waypoints on my way up into my GPS, mostly due to thinking id be coming home in the dark, not a whiteout! I could still see enough I felt fine continuing and the terrain was easy which made things a less nerve-racking. I took about 5-10 minutes on the top to sign the register and eat in a hurry before making my way back down. It was 1:35pm exactly 6 hours from the car. The way down the ridge took a little longer than expected due to conditions; I also had a little route-finding error towards the lower end of the ridge just due to visibility. It cost me about 30 minutes and I soon found my way back to the gully once more. At this point the clouds finally started to lift and made things way easier to travel. I was getting a slight bit worried it would take me all night long to get back if these clouds didn’t go away. I put the throttle down and pushed on all the way to ice lake pass only to stop for a quick picture or two. 5 quick minutes there and left the pass at 5:25pm, I knew I’d have to battle some of Box Creek in the dark but how much…I ended up making stellar time on the way back getting to the car at 7:10pm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 10:35 am 
Cool 1st post up.gif .

Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 2:19 pm 
up.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm 
glad you got it josh!

Eric Eames
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 4:31 pm 
Box Creek FTW. Looks like you had a great day out! Nice work.

Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 8:21 pm 
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting! Looks like a nice trip, SSB is pretty high on my list for next year.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm 
eek.gif That's a lot to do in a day! Hope to hear from you again soon.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 am 
Thanks for posting. Nice job!

b00

b00
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 3:57 pm 
what a brilliant idea to approach via box creek :>)

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 7:46 pm 
I agree, brilliant idea to go up Box Creek. Even if I am a bit partial wink.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I agree, brilliant idea to go up Box Creek. Even if I am a bit partial wink.gif
Each time I get to Box Creek on the Phelps Creek trail I notice a faint path going up slope along the creek. I always wonder if it is leading to a log across the creek or a boot path up to the Carne Mt. high route. Any info to share? If it is a secret route feel free to PM me. I promise to keep it close to the vest. BTW NinJosh, great TR. up.gif

evergreen199

evergreen199
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 8:54 am 
Thanks for sharing your trip, NinJosh. I was coming in along the Carne Mt. high route while you were ascending SSB - it sure was nice when the snow stopped and the weather cleared in the afternoon.
HitTheTrail wrote:
Each time I get to Box Creek on the Phelps Creek trail I notice a faint path going up slope along the creek. I always wonder if it is leading to a log across the creek or a boot path up to the Carne Mt. high route. Any info to share?
I am also interested - on my hike in along the high route I noticed a trail heading downhill from the headwaters of Box Creek that made me curious. Then on the way out from 7FJ at the end of the weekend I also saw the trail that HTT mentions at the Box/Phelps junction and wondered if they connect...

NinJosh

NinJosh
PostSun Nov 01, 2015 8:29 am 
The faint path you see, yes is the beginning of the Box Creek Route which will meet up with the CMHR. You end up cutting off a lot of time using that route. From below, you follow the "trail" which rapidly disappears, continuing up through open forest to the ridge just W/NW of Box Creek. Staying on the ridge proper provides the easiest travel until you reach the basin. This was my first time up but my 3rd time down Box Creek (all in the dark) stay close but not to close to the creek or it gets cliffy. Hope that helps!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Nov 01, 2015 10:12 am 
NinJosh wrote:
continuing up through open forest to the ridge just W/NW of Box Creek.
Yes that helps a lot. Your description means you cross Box creek at some point to get on the NW ridge. Are there logs/narrow places to cross in the early summer during high water? As I recall Box Creek can get rather high. In any case, thanks! This is now on my list for sure.