Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 6 Week Crud
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 5:56 pm 
Anyone else have the 6 week crud like me? I have had a persistent cough and congestion in the nose since just after Christmas. Finally went and saw a doctor today and was told I was going to have to wait it out until it goes away. I was the 3rd person he saw this week who had the same symptoms I had.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 pm 
Except I've had it since Halloween. Add in a tendency towards asthma and it just sucks.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 6:43 pm 
Travel to a warm climate for a couple of weeks. Either that or take a sauna and get your internal temperature above 102F for a while.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 10, 2015 7:06 pm 
I had that last year. Sounds like exactly the same thing. It started around the Superbowl and took forever to get rid of. I even went to the doctor twice and they basically told me it had to run it's course... I got impatient. Finally after the 2nd doctor visit, about a week later it went away... I was begging for antibiotics or something to help. It was never enough to really knock me down and out , but it wasn't fun.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostThu Feb 12, 2015 8:48 pm 
Quote:
Finally went and saw a doctor today and was told I was going to have to wait it out until it goes away
Don't ya just love it when you pay the doc and get sent home with nuthin. I had that crud last year. finally got some Prednisone & Codeine cough syrup. worked almost over night. If you don't reduce the inflammation and spasming of the throat it just won't quit. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor but I do get drunk and sleep on the floor with malamutes every night. so I guess that qualifies doh.gif hmmm.gif
malamute's in the house 013
malamute's in the house 013

hikes and climbs with malamute
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 am 
harrymalamute wrote:
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor but I do get drunk and sleep on the floor with malamutes every night. so I guess that qualifies doh.gif hmmm.gif
Seems legit.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 9:22 am 
Who is your Doctor? I got a short prescription of Prednisone, antibiotic, and cough suppressant. My cough was gone in a matter of days after lasting for three weeks. On the upside my arthritis never felt better while I was on the Prednisone. Sounds like you got the pull yourself up by the boot straps routine, good luck with your recovery.

Phil

Phil
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 11:29 am 
I had it from mid-December through January. I used time and neilmed sinus rinse as cures. Cough medicine at night for that post-nasal drip coughing.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 6:35 pm 
If it's still just viral, nothing you can do but wait it out. I finally went to the doctor last week and my "cold" had turned into a sinus infection (bacterial) I got some antibiotics. Still working on it.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 10:14 pm 
Any reason you can't go back and state your concerns. Wait it out, I've never heard that from a doctor even at 65 years old. Sound like you could still be having complications, one option could be to request a different doctor.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 pm 
I found a natural remedy online for sinus congestion. My head and sinuses were all plugged up a few years back and I knew if I didn't get it cleared out, it would get infected. First of all avoid most or all dairy products since they cause the mucous to thicken. I ingested 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar daily, which is supposed to thin out the mucous. I also steamed my head by boiling water in a pan with a bit of the apple cider vinegar, put a towel over my head and breathed deeply. Withing a few minutes my nose was running like a dripping faucet. I did that for several days and never got the sinus infection that I dreaded.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 5:47 am 
Harry, Well, now I'm jealous...booze and a two dog night on the floor. Don't get any better than that. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostMon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
First of all avoid most or all dairy products since they cause the mucous to thicken.
This is an old old myth.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 am 
I always get the 8 week crud at some point every single year. Last year I got it right before Christmas and it was the worst one ever (and I had a flu shot). This year I was determined to not go through that again and had started acupuncture for my sinus issues last summer. So far (banging on wood very very hard) I have not caught the bug AND I've been around sick parents and kids. I had tried acupuncture with Japanese needles for a couple of sessions at a time before and it helped ease symptoms. This time I've been going almost every week for 6 months as my new insurance plan covers 12 visits a year. She uses Chinese needles and many many wacky herb pills and teas. I can't be sure if this is the reason I haven't caught my usual bug or it's just that you lie in a nice warm room and are forced to relax for 1 hour a week. Maybe it's all the water I drink to get those bb shaped pills down. Currently she's having me take a high quality version of Yin Chiao for my immune system. Seems to work great.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I ingested 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar daily
I had good success with this method also for getting rid of a nasty sinus infection - you just need to use the right kind of Apple Cider Vinegar

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"