Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > iPhone 6 plus initial impressions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am 
I don't get it. My 3GS is still working just fine and I haven't spent a dime on it. I've never understood the desire to spend staggering amounts of $$ on a phone.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I don't get it. My 3GS is still working just fine and I haven't spent a dime on it. I've never understood the desire to spend staggering amounts of $$ on a phone.
You don't have to spend large amounts on the newest phones. You can haggle for them my wife did it over the holidays. She was going to get the older models if they would not budge I wont get into details. But it was a good deal and may well have saved us over two grand on a three lines Verizon on our pads for a two year contract. She will haggle on anything at a very nice garden center near our home she bought a nice little stand dark wood and two doors underneath. They were asking $135.00 for it she got it for fifty bucks. I asked why they took it she said its been for sale for several years as a plant stand. We put our Parakeet on it. Bargaining is not for everyone I cant do it. She has no fear she got a heck of a deal on my latest road bike and our trailer a couple years back. Seems to be a lost art and no one is ever offended by her offers deal or not they seem to have respect for her.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 1:07 pm 
The big carriers are brilliant in their marketing. They make you believe you are getting a "free" phone under contract when in reality you are paying close to retail when you consider the monthly charges vs. prepaid carriers that use the exact same network. For example, here's what AT&T's employees pay (buddy of mine works for AT&T and was able to add me to his family plan so this is my cost as well). Each phone line costs $7.50 / month with unlimited talk/text. Data is extra, and translates to less than ~$10 / month per line. Now, here's the kicker. If you are under contract it's an extra $12.50 / month. So even if I picked up a "free" phone with 2 year contract it isn't free. It costs at least 24 x $12.50 or ~$300 over 2 years. Keep in mind these are employee rates so the padding in retail plans is probably closer to $500. You can probably figure out how much extra you are paying by comparing how much you could save each month with cricket, net10, or similar BYOP plans and multiplying by 24. That's why I picked up a brand new unlocked LG G2 on ebay for $200 even though I could have got a Samsung S5 under AT&T contract for "only" ~$100. Even at employee rates it would have cost me ~$400 for the S5. Quite honestly I don't know why anyone would pay for the latest and greatest phone. My G2 is 2 generations behind but does everything the new generation does.
MtnGoat wrote:
Keep in mind you did pay for it in the first 2 years if you went under contract. And you're still paying for it each month unless you have switched to a prepaid plan that gives you a discount for bringing your own phone.

mike

mike
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm 
A friend just paid $600+ and is a happy camper confused.gif I have a cheepo fone for which I add minutes as needed. Cost is about $7/mo. I rarely use the phone since I never have a signal but for a basic phone it's perfect for what I need. YMMV obviously.

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 5:26 pm 
Sad how one guy pays 75 bucks a month another 200 plus same contract. These contacts can be walked away from not going to hurt your credit rating . Its not a loan or utility. If you owe them for six hundred dollar phones well they rely on that. Hard to walk away then. These are not contacts look it up your good faith to pay they have nothing on you. They don't operate in good faith.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 7:42 am 
Some of the older or cheaper phones may not have all the satellite capability you need to run GPS apps that are nice for backpacking. Getting satellite (like the GLONASS system) can save you a few hundred bucks by not needing a standalone GPS.