Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Grizzly Bear Restoration in North Cascades
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:53 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Grizz have been gone from the NC for quite a while, and the ecosystem has not collapsed, it has adapted.
What evidence do you have that the ecosystem has not suffered from the extirpation of grizzlies? Just because it appears to have adapted and looks healthy to us does not mean that it is as healthy as it was before we interfered with it.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm 
It depends on what you mean by healthy, and that depends on what values you have chosen to define healthy. That the NC must be defined as healthy only by measures relevant to conditions extant prior to the arrival of white people is a value decision, not written on the side of an atom somewhere as THE objective measure of healthy. Me, I see an ecosystem will all parts functioning consistent with conditions sans grizzlies. By my values, that is healthy. I do not view humans as a problem or some slice of time in continually changing conditions which have existed since the earth cooled as ideal just because they predate the arrival of western transplants. For the same reasons, I have a different take on goats in the Olympics than folks hewing to a purist, pre western timeframe. The goats are there now, the time to avoid the risk in the manner being discussed for grizz is long past, and the ecology is adapting...some flora and fauna are being deselected, others are taking advantage of the changes no doubt. I see little reason to engage in the wholesale slaughter of living creatures in order to serve a value system rooted in 'pristine is better'. They're there now, let 'em be. For the same reason, I see little reason to reintroduce grizz to the NC. If they wind up re-expanding their range on their own via adaptation, great.If not, that's fine too. I don't possess some benchmark relating to any particular time or conditions as 'ideal' ecologically speaking, and which must be pursued regardless of human cost. Even the idea of 'interference' from humans carries with it interesting implications I suspect may actually only apply to other humans, and not rocks and not animals. That's something I think I'll spend some time examining. If I stop a rock from rolling, am I interfering with it? Is it wrong? If I move a branch so it rots in one place but not another...did I interfere? What if I keep a snaffehound from snacking on my m&m's...or she changes course because of my presence...interference? hmm. So many questions.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm 
you're all missing the point. bear canisters, people! get ready to schlep 'em around like they are starting to require in the lookout mtn (NCNP) area...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:17 pm 
Yeah, those were real great in Denali NP. not. hated em.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 3:02 pm 
iron wrote:
you're all missing the point. bear canisters, people! get ready to schlep 'em around like they are starting to require in the lookout mtn (NCNP) area...
ditto.gif If you want to convince me that reintroducing grizzlies might not be a good idea all you have to do is mention bear canisters. I cannot express my loathing for these cylinders of misery.
MtnGoat wrote:
For the same reasons, I have a different take on goats in the Olympics than folks hewing to a purist, pre western timeframe. The goats are there now, the time to avoid the risk in the manner being discussed for grizz is long past, and the ecology is adapting...some flora and fauna are being deselected, others are taking advantage of the changes no doubt. I see little reason to engage in the wholesale slaughter of living creatures in order to serve a value system rooted in 'pristine is better'. They're there now, let 'em be.
The case of the Mountain Goats in the Olympics is a different case entirely. They have a tangible negative impact on indigenous species that evolved in isolation and are unable to cope with their grazing. As much as I love seeing goats when hiking in the Olympics, and as much as I hate the idea of killing them, the fact remains that they are an invasive species introduced by humans that is responsible for endangering native species.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 3:25 pm 
I understand the argument, yes. I don't see humans can be classed as anything but natural, and the same applies to their actions. Of course this leads directly to disagreement with subjective divisions of species into 'invasive' etc, since they all depend on human agency that I can tell.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 4:15 pm 
While it is true that we are undeniably linked to the natural world, it is also true that we are capable of altering our environment in ways beyond the capability of any species of animal in the Earth's history. "With great power comes great responsibility" is the cliched phrase that perfectly describes humanity's current situation, for as a sentient race we are responsible for the future of our planet.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 7:41 pm 
This really sounds more like a group needing a grant to fund a Job. (who wants to carry bear canisters especially only the APPROVED type, when you might meet one beer in the next 30+ years) Looking at their initial report, Grizzly were found (shot) on the Nooksack R, Okanogan & Columbia Rivers. Back then every possible species of salmon still ran – (no dams or fishery). I just finished reading The Great Bear Rainforest by Ian McAllister (he has an agenda to save the Big Bear, so maybe somewhat slanted) But he made a few observations. 1---- Most Grizzly bears (90%+) were found within ¼ mile of the lowland rivers and inlets where the fish are. No trace could be found in the highlands. Hibernation dens were below the snow level. This really differs in where the Black bears were found. They adapted to the high country (smaller, so need less food for the winter period) 2----- Any disturbance—be road building, Clearcuts, settlements etc. and they were mostly gone within a couple of years. I would take it that the Puget Sound area was of a similar nature before the white man arrived. A lot of Grizzly’s would be found in the lowlands where fish was plentiful and snow was at a minimum. There was probably a large population on the Skagit, Nisqually and any other river that had Salmon. Fish are mostly gone now. Most of Alaska's are also found on the salmon running streams. The ones found in the Cascades may only have be traveling over to the Okanogan country (not known for sure). I know there many in Yellowstone (country more like the Pasayten area) – but again they evolved over hundreds of years to live there. It’s a little like the Orca pods. One group only eats fish and the other only eats seals and the like. They would probably die then switch. So, I would guess transplanting bears in the high cascades, with 10 ft of snow or more and not used to it, is probably a death sentence. My 2 cents worth

33teeth

33teeth
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 7:46 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
While it is true that we are undeniably linked to the natural world, it is also true that we are capable of altering our environment in ways beyond the capability of any species of animal in the Earth's history. "With great power comes great responsibility" is the cliched phrase that perfectly describes humanity's current situation, for as a sentient race we are responsible for the future of our planet.
I'm all for trying to take care of the planet, but how much undoing must we do? Should my house be knocked down, trees and ferns replanted? How about yours? It would probably be beneficial to several species if we didn't have any power lines running around. Or roads. For that matter, should we all move back to whatever continent we came from and leave WA for Native Americans? Or is that not far enough back. I personally wouldn't choose to push Grizzlies out of the area if they were here, but I don't see enough (or really any convincing) value in expending any effort (that includes money) in bringing them back.

Is that a kind of beer?
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 pm 
That's where I'm coming from. Stay the course, and if they can adapt and return, then we'll learn to live with 'em, just like the goats of the Olympics.

cefire

cefire
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 pm 
Daryl wrote:
Second, I'm an engineer with an economics minor. i break things down to cost/benefit/logic.
cefire wrote:
More grizzly's = more attacks, but likely at an incredibly small rate. In my example which seems at least somewhat informative, we might estimate a rate of about 1 fatality per 10 years in the NC ecosystem.
I'm not an expert, so using what i learned here, one cost will be about one life every 10 years. not a huge deal if it's not you, but it is a big deal if it's you or someone you know. So what is a life worth? What else will it cost? Lots of extra precautions, trail closures (yes, it will happen), and bear bells. lots f$%!ing bear bells! Plus the cost to snatch up these bears from their existing homes (who cares if they are happy where they are, we want them somewhere else!) and relocating them to where we think they should be. then of course there will monitoring and studies, and more studies... So there is some cost. What is the benefit? We get to see some bigger meaner bears? If the goal is to make the area the way it was, closing hwy 20 would be easier.
Your "cost/benefit/logic" seems to sum up to 'what is a life worth?' and 'lots of f'ing bear bells', well played. so why not get rid of the black bears too? or regulate dogs on the trail? they have an unfavorable track record as well by this "logical" analysis dizzy.gif Again, I have no bear in this fight, so import em' or don't. If they decide to reintroduce, I don't think it's going to make a bit of difference practically speaking (without a doubt there WILL be closures but they are so sparse you'd need to make an effort to actually be inconvenienced - ever hike in Montana? Idaho? BC?). Closures are a moot issue in the places where they are already occuring, why do we think it will be so different in NCNP? Bear canisters I could see being an annoyance to some but then again, I'm also of the opinion that we should all 'cowboy up' and carry bear canisters for all but the high alpine with or without grizz. Not because the people on this forum are necessarily doing anything wrong (although anecdotal evidence suggests many are), but weekend warrior folk don't know how to hang a decent bear bag and they're not reading up on it either. We all have to share the wild space - its a 'tragedy of the commons' problem - everyone wants as little inconvenience for themselves even though, in aggregate, the experience is made less enjoyable. Also, a quick FYI, bear bells don't work if you are seeking to reduce the likelihood of negative bear encounters - there is a reasonably sound literature (aka 'studies' by those evil science-folk) on this already.

cefire

cefire
PostTue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
That's where I'm coming from. Stay the course, and if they can adapt and return, then we'll learn to live with 'em
I'm generally on-board with this sentiment as well up.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am 
33teeth wrote:
I'm all for trying to take care of the planet, but how much undoing must we do? Should my house be knocked down, trees and ferns replanted? How about yours? It would probably be beneficial to several species if we didn't have any power lines running around. Or roads. For that matter, should we all move back to whatever continent we came from and leave WA for Native Americans? Or is that not far enough back.
There is no fixed minimum or maximum, for conservation, preservation, and restoration. The theoretical do-not-cross line you are looking for does not and cannot exist. That said, there are practical limitations to what we can do with our current level of social and technological advancement. A balance can usually be found between human endeavors and the world's well being, and this is usually decided on a case by case basis (for example, whether or not to reintroduce grizzlies). You can't just lump all environmental causes together and say "this is enough".
33teeth wrote:
.......but I don't see enough (or really any convincing) value in expending any effort (that includes money) in bringing them back.
I can see the value in terms of their former significance in the Ecosystem, and in the value of increasing biodiversity. However, you have a point that it may not be worth the effort and money required, especially considering all the more necessary projects and programs that languish for lack of funding. Personally, I would rather they focused on reintroducing wolves to the Olympics, which would have a far more definite and tangible benefit to that environment than Grizzlies would have in the North Cascades.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 7:18 am 
cefire wrote:
so why not get rid of the black bears too? or regulate dogs on the trail? they have an unfavorable track record as well by this "logical" analysis dizzy.gif Again, I have no bear in this fight, so import em' or don't. If they decide to reintroduce, I don't think it's going to make a bit of difference practically speaking (without a doubt there WILL be closures but they are so sparse you'd need to make an effort to actually be inconvenienced - ever hike in Montana? Idaho? BC?). Closures are a moot issue in the places where they are already occuring, why do we think it will be so different in NCNP?
Build a cost benefit for getting rid of black bears in NCNP and i'll look at it. I don't see many costs of having black bears in NCNP right now, but the cost to remove them would be large. Thus, it makes no sense. I'm looking at the cost to ADD grizzlies vs the benefit of ADDING grizzlies. I see costs, but no benefit. Show me that the benefit out weighs the cost and i'm in favor of it. Dogs are already regulated in NCNP so i don't understand your comment. As for closures, yes I've done a lot of hiking in Glacier and Yellowstone. Some hikes i really wanted to do at Glacier last time i was there were at risk for closure. Ever plan a trip a year out, with flights and transportation and lodging plans involving several people from different corners of the country, only to find out the trail might get closed the day before starting? It sucks. Anyway, if you have hiked in Glacier or Yellowstone you'd know that the tourists with bear bells is enough of a reason to not go through the costs and effort to force grizzlies back into the north cascades. So annoying!

gb

gb
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 11:03 am 
A lot of hyperbole in the last post. First, very few trails are closed in Glacier National Park or in the Canadian Rockies. It is not as if there aren't many choices. As to bear bells there is no evidence they work and I've seen paranoid people even wearing them in the Cascades. Food storage and camping areas need to be separated by 100 yards or so, but that is hardly a big inconvenience (small cost). Carrying bearspray is no big deal either. Been there, done that. The benefit is the introduction of a beautiful animal that will make the North Cascades a more complete wilderness experience. And yes there are still at least a few grizzlies that inhabit/visit the North Cascades. I saw tracks of a large (est. 650 pounds by a biologist) 4 years ago. Also saw additional evidence that was supportive 2 years later.