Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Grizzly Bear Restoration in North Cascades
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm 
^ maintaining contiguous wildlife migration corridors has been one of the management objectives of public lands managers at NFS for decades, so that situation may or may not exist south of the border.
yukon222, regarding seasonal closures of areas wrote:
Seems like this would be an important item to consider when evaluating their Alternatives.
the devil is in the details. I know of one such area: Crowell Ridge Trail north of Metalline Falls: very narrow window for access because of the seasonal closures for grizzly bears.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
What is the role of local elected officials!
It might be more interesting when/if the state's congressional delegation gets involved. That's where the funding for this project will come from: Congress. Anybody bothered to ask their congressional representative what they think about all of this?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:38 pm 
Someone mentioned earlier that if the USG didn't have the money there were parties willing to donate funding. I don't know if that is true. Would probably require some kind of law or new regulation because a gift can turn into a perpetual stream of costs so gifts can't just be accepted. On the other hand, the whole program may be included in some existing bucket and not need any specific funding. Agency and political leadership priorities could be more important than funding. Taking it to the extreme, would the courts allow the President to block bear resettlement deemed necessary to protect an endangered species?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Someone mentioned earlier that if the USG didn't have the money there were parties willing to donate funding. I don't know if that is true. Would probably require some kind of law or new regulation because a gift can turn into a perpetual stream of costs so gifts can't just be accepted. On the other hand, the whole program may be included in some existing bucket and not need any specific funding. Agency and political leadership priorities could be more important than funding. Taking it to the extreme, would the courts allow the President to block bear resettlement deemed necessary to protect an endangered species?
But it isn't needed to protect the bears. There are large populations elsewhere.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm 
Many years ago when I was a kid, I was riding in the jump seats of an international with a couple of men, my dad included. We were driving down this back country road just sightseeing when a large griz came out of the brush and ran down the road in front of us. I don't know how accurate the speedometer was but it stayed on a steady 40mph on the heels of the bear. There was some talk about if the bear decided to trash the truck would the men have to kill it. The talk wandered here and there but the general consensus was that it would be a tough call to get it into the back of the truck. We came to a bridge just a tad longer than the truck but the bear decided to cross the creek without the bridge and never broke stride. Had we been looking for a camping or fishing spot I think we would have chosen someplace else. Best thing to do with a bear this big is leave the damn thing alone!

cartman

cartman
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:29 pm 
Quote:
“substantial habitat changes” will occur from man-made events, as well as wildfire
Well, that's certainly true. Thousands of acres of potential bear habitat has been lost via the Wolverine and Tripod Fires alone in the past two decades.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 pm 
cartman wrote:
Quote:
“substantial habitat changes” will occur from man-made events, as well as wildfire
Well, that's certainly true. Thousands of acres of potential bear habitat has been lost via the Wolverine and Tripod Fires alone in the past two decades.
You sure about that? What about all the new, tender plants that will be coming back in? I don't think that bug killed lodgepole pine is good habitat for anything but woodpeckers and bugs.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 am 
treeswarper wrote:
You sure about that? What about all the new, tender plants that will be coming back in? I don't think that bug killed lodgepole pine is good habitat for anything but woodpeckers and bugs.
BRAVO! Every time I read something about how old growth provides wildlife habitat, I just shake my head. Deer, elk, small game; they all need openings in the forest. Blacktail deer thrived in western Washington back in the clearcut days because they feed on the edges, on plant growth that doesn't grow under a canopy. Animals don't thrive where there isn't anything to eat.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 am 
It isn't just an "old growth" thing. It is also a tree density thing. In some of the doghair thickets on the eastside, the trees are small but the sun is still not hitting the ground. Those thickets are best left to burn up if mechanical treatment is forbidden. They might provide some winter protection--might, but are otherwise just sucking up too much water and nutrients to ever grow into anything.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It isn't just an "old growth" thing. It is also a tree density thing. In some of the doghair thickets on the eastside, the trees are small but the sun is still not hitting the ground. Those thickets are best left to burn up if mechanical treatment is forbidden. They might provide some winter protection--might, but are otherwise just sucking up too much water and nutrients to ever grow into anything.
Yup, and if they are too thick, animals won't use them for anything because they can't move through that stuff. You understand these things because you live in that environment. Others don't. up.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 pm 
The only thing certain to happen if Grizzlies are reintroduced is that someone *will* be mauled or killed. Not a question of if, but when.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
BRAVO!Every time I read something about how old growth provides wildlife habitat, I just shake my head.
There are lot of different species on the planet, who thrive in lots of different ecosystems. O course old growth forest provide wildlife habitat. Old growth forests also let in quite a bit of sunshine. Patches of sun and meadows are an important component in an old growth ecosystem. Landscape created by wildfire is also a part of an old growth ecosystem. So what treeswarpers says is true, but it is not true that old growth has no role in nature.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Landscape created by wildfire is also a part of an old growth ecosystem. So what treeswarpers says is true, but it is not true that old growth has no role in nature.
Huh? It all depends on what the latest and greatest definition of old growth is and what component you are talking about. I mentioned the lodgepole ecosystem because that's what I think much of the Tripod fire was in when it was in that particular elevation. Lodgepole is kind of a permanent early seral species. It dominates the stand but also has spruce, larch, and even the occasional misplaced Doug-fir and grand fir. At least that's what I have observed whilst working in the midst of it. Lodgepole normally does not last long. Think 80 years. It grows and then somewhere around that age starts to decline, beetles move in, trees die, lightning hits, it burns up, cone on the ground open and starts all over. Meanwhile, the snags fall to the ground and pile up--technically called jackstraw or, if you have to work in it daily &^%$* ^&*%. That is another item that discourages "some" wildlife to move about in it. One hopes for a second lightning strike timed to burn the deadfall! I would not think of lodgepole as "old growth" but then that definition changes frequently in order to please the masses. I still wonder what 200 grizzlies are going to find to eat in a park where disturbance is frowned upon. I imagine they'll learn to head down to Mazama or Darrington for garbage pickup day.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm 
I don't understand your question, "Huh?" Can you rephrase that? I used the term ecosystem, which includes all aspects of an old growth landscape, both spatial and temporal. This includes the entire life cycle of vegetation within an old growth ecosystem such as lodgepole pine after a fire, and whatever changes the landscape after it's reached climax stage, whether it be fire again, or another species. This is what you described, and we've all seen and have observed forests in various stages of life and death. Young trees, old trees, meadows, etc. are all part of the entire old growth forest ecosystem.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Mississippiwaffle

Mississippiwaffle
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
The only thing certain to happen if Grizzlies are reintroduced is that someone *will* be mauled or killed. Not a question of if, but when.
This applies to everything... hikers will get lost and freeze to death or fall to death (more common than bear maulings, even with big scary griz). Skiers will trigger avalanches and die. Tourists will get gored by goats fed by locals and visitors alike, and.. die. People will get haunta virus or whatever it is called from mouse poop in cabins and die. Hunters will mistake black stretch pants clad asses for black bears and shoot. The griz belongs. You? Not so much.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote View IP address of poster