Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Techheads: How can I download and save an entire website?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 4:15 pm 
I just found out one of my most useful tech site for some 'scopes I own stopped being supported a couple years ago. I didn't notice it because i have other pages bookmarked and never make to the top page. Dude says it will be up for the forseeable future (as of Aug 2013), but that doesn't fill me with confidence. Given the amount of stuff there I find useful and how often I find I need something new from another area, I was wondering if there is some utility or trick which would allow me to archive the entire site onto my hard drive so it's all on hand forever, connected to the interwebs or not. My current machine is a Win7 OS. ideas?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 4:33 pm 
You could ask the owner for a copy of the website? Result from google looks promising : http://www.httrack.com/ Note this notion of "copying an entire website" only works well for older style websites. Newer websites rely on javascript to load in lots of elements of the page, so it makes scraping the website problematic .. although there are various tools designed for newer websites as well.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 4:37 pm 
This is a pretty old school site from '96 with very simple formats and little java or other fluffery that I'm aware of. I'd be hard pressed to say it had undergone any format changes at all as a matter of fact, it's basically a couple layers of menus leading to stored emails and stuff. I hadn't thought about contacting the site owner, I'll try that if your linky doesn't work, but would still appreciate any tips if that runs dry.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm 
http://www.httrack.com/ Initial research indicates this is legit. Edit: additional research confirms it.

pipedream

pipedream
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 5:12 pm 
MtnGoat, are you familiar with Linux? If so, the wget utility is your friend: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget EDIT: Just saw your comment about running Win7. Luckily for you, it's such a great utility someone's ported it to Windows: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

Chico

Chico
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 5:58 pm 
A word of warning - pay special attention to the levels setting. How many levels deep do you want to go. If you are familiar with a site and know links don't tend to take you too many levels in then go for it. Otherwise you can end up with gigabytes of files. Also pay attention to file types. On my Mac I use Sitesucker. Good name I think.

33teeth

33teeth
PostFri Feb 13, 2015 9:19 pm 
brutal. I'd second the call for contacting the site owner. I'd think they may be OK with providing you the data if you promise to not make it public. Or maybe they'd be happy to simply hand it over and let you maintain it (or at least host it).

Is that a kind of beer?