Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mojave National Preserve, Desert Part 3. Feb 6-7, 2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 11:41 am 
After the Muddy Mountains fine Peak scrambling I decided to seek more aesthetic summits. What I found was just that, plus: Pictographs, Petroglyphs, narrow canyons, joshua trees and cholla cactus, sunrises and sunsets, sweet camping, and finally summits of limestone, granite, and sand! Yes, even a sand summit. Mojave National Preserve has all this and much much more. It is a must visit!!!!! On Fri Feb 6th I took my rental SUV up six miles of crappy powerline access road to a neat BLM picnic/camping area. This is the start for the Clark Mountain 7907' climb. It is just off of I-15 in California and a detached unit of Mojave National Preserve. I did it as a pseudo loop with the East Peak 7897'. This entailed going up one southern rib, crossing an exciting, impeccable solid limestone knife-edge traverse to connect the summits, followed by a descent of a more western southern rib. I include a map.
ClarkRoute
ClarkRoute
Clark Mountain, Mojave National Preserve
Clark Mountain, Mojave National Preserve
Looking back toward I-15
Looking back toward I-15
The East Peak 7897'
The East Peak 7897'
View toward the Spring Mountains
View toward the Spring Mountains
Clark summit traverse
Clark summit traverse
Mojave Wilderness, CA.  Mojave National Preserve
Mojave Wilderness, CA. Mojave National Preserve
Mojave Wilderness, CA  Mojave National Preserve
Mojave Wilderness, CA Mojave National Preserve
Start of the Knife Edge
Start of the Knife Edge
On Clark Mountain
On Clark Mountain
Fantastic!
Fantastic!
Goes and Goes
Goes and Goes
Impeccable limestone
Impeccable limestone
The East Peak
The East Peak
On to the top
On to the top
In good company
In good company
Don't be tempted!
Don't be tempted!
Denied!!!!
Denied!!!!
Supposed Class 3 standard
Supposed Class 3 standard
Complete with rappel sling (yellow)
Complete with rappel sling (yellow)
What stopped me
What stopped me
Fun descent along cliff base
Fun descent along cliff base
My favorite rock art is the stuff I unexpectedly find without any  pre-trip research.  I will always share location info when I believe  you visit a site with respect and appreciation.
My favorite rock art is the stuff I unexpectedly find without any pre-trip research. I will always share location info when I believe you visit a site with respect and appreciation.
Awesome find in alcove
Awesome find in alcove
BLM Picnic and TH
BLM Picnic and TH
Mojave National Preserve
Mojave National Preserve
Back at Clark Mtns
Back at Clark Mtns
Note my mistake, one must descend below the vertical limestone spine and not atop of it because there is not way off down below! Sat Feb 7th I did a big tour of the Preserve. That night I camped in Hole in the Wall Campground for a great night of stars, a bright moonrise, a fine sunrise, and moonset . Then I did the short Hole In the Wall Loop hike through volcanic tuff formations and petroglyphs.
Another fine camp!
Another fine camp!
Mojave National Preserve
Mojave National Preserve
Hole in the Wall Trail 
Mojave National Preserve
Hole in the Wall Trail Mojave National Preserve
Petroglyph rock
Petroglyph rock
Familiar rake shape
Familiar rake shape
Mojave desert scene
Mojave desert scene
Moonset over Wildhorse Mesa
Moonset over Wildhorse Mesa
Enter the Hole in the Wall
Enter the Hole in the Wall
Mojave National Reserve, Hole in the Wall Loop Hike, also known as The Rings trail
Mojave National Reserve, Hole in the Wall Loop Hike, also known as The Rings trail
The Hole
The Hole
The rings!
The rings!
Mojave National Preserve
Mojave National Preserve
Undecipherable petro
Undecipherable petro
The Hole trail is cool
The Hole trail is cool
Look back
Look back
Afterwards I drove to Kelso Dunes for an interpretive walk and later summit bid of Kelso Dune 3114' which included my first ever barefoot descent run!
Providence Mtns
Providence Mtns
Kelso Dune grains
Kelso Dune grains
Grain
Grain
View SW
View SW
Mojave Wilderness. Mojave National Preserve, CA
Mojave Wilderness. Mojave National Preserve, CA
The Kelso Station Visitor Center
The Kelso Station Visitor Center
Then I did a sightseeing drive through lava flows and cinder cones until hiking up the granite landscape of Teutonia Peak 5755' near sunset. Bypass the north summit by walking that inviting tableland east of the ridge. Below the central summit look for a bouldery ramp trending NW. At the top of that go around the corner back to the SW and begin the final climb in back of the cul-de-sac. Some solid Class 3/4 friction-face gets near the top where a short jump over a gap leads to the summit. What I remark as Class 4 on the north peak is probably more like 5.0 in that slanting crack and then a friction back across to get to the top of it from the north.
TeutoniaPeaks
TeutoniaPeaks
Cinder cones and lave flow
Cinder cones and lave flow
Black Tank Wash, Mojave National Preserve
Black Tank Wash, Mojave National Preserve
tree and cholla
tree and cholla
Mojave National Preserve, Teutonia Peak Trail
Mojave National Preserve, Teutonia Peak Trail
Teutonia J-Tree forest
Teutonia J-Tree forest
landscape
landscape
View SE
View SE
North and changing weather
North and changing weather
Mojave Wilderness, Mojave National Preserve
Mojave Wilderness, Mojave National Preserve
Weather coming
Weather coming
Fun Cl 4 but wrong summit
Fun Cl 4 but wrong summit
There is great free camping on the other side of the Teutonia Trailhead on a granite dirt road up against granite blobs. J-Tree NP esque. Mojave NP is awesome, I will return! Still to Come: More Nevada wilderness travels 1. Bridge Canyon Wilderness 2. Black Canyon Wilderness Petroglyph areas Hot Spring Narrow slot canyons Non-technical canyoneering descents of dryfalls Summits of Basalt and Sandstone A big natural arch hike In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the sandstone and through the thornbush and cactus. When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe. Probably not. ---Edward Abbey

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 1:00 pm 
Great pics of Clark Mountain. I made my way up to the base of the so called class 3 section about 3 years ago and found it iced over. I was bummed although I knew that the snow on the road coming in and near the picnic area wasn't a good sign. Then, later that year, a friend of mine fell coming down the class 3 section and almost died. He was choppered out and spent a lot of time in the hospital and in re hab since he broke his pelvis, his leg and something in his back. He is now back to climbing but now treats even class 3 stuff with respect. I'd say its almost class 4 (for me anyway). Love all your desert stuff up.gif up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 3:32 pm 
Dean wrote:
I'd say its almost class 4 (for me anyway).
I'd have to agree Dean. Since I came across the knife-edge above it I hadn't climbed the "standard" Class 3 section. Then, looking down it, I felt better going back across the knife-edge than the looks of that. At least there were big positive holds on the edge, not like the greasy looking bulge of the standard route. Hope your friend is fully rehabbed. Thanks much for appreciating my posts. I always wonder where next I will discover your name in a summit register! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm 
John, I love to see your trip reports as they always have a lot of great pics too. My friend is back out climbing and I've done a bunch with him since then. His injuries slowed him down to the point that for a year he hiked about my speed. Now he is back to "waiting" for me but hey, I'm 74 and he's a mere 48. biggrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
RichP

RichP
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 4:52 pm 
Lots of desert variety there. Very tempted to visit the area someday thanks to your report. up.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 10:49 pm 
I added a map above to Teutonia Peak from the trailhead off I-15 12 miles south of the interchange for Cima.

ree

ree
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 9:33 am 
Thank you so much for the trip report. I have not done much exploring between Baker and Needles - this area looks like it has heaps to offer. I esp. love the dunes shots, and amazing pictographs. This gives us a new region outside Vegas to go check out. up.gif