Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Vancouver, BC suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 5:01 pm 
Annie and I are thinking about taking a 4-day trip to Vancouver after my busy work season in late April. I know a few of you frequent/live in BC. Any suggestions for things to do/not to do? We are thinking about finding a B&B to stay at. Some of the gardens/parks look interesting, is the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park any good? What about the trip up Grouse Mountain? Activities that won't break the bank are a + Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Feb 14, 2015 7:03 pm 
If the weather is good, rent bikes and ride around Stanley Park, and out the seawall to Kitsilano. Stop in at the aquarium and check out the beluga whales. The downtown area around Robson and Denman is nice for walking. Lots of excellent cheap restaurants and cafes. There are some fairly reasonable hotels on Denman. Cheaper dive hotels out East Hastings but it gets kind of druggy/seedy over in that direction. The drive up the coast is nice.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:10 am 
Thanks for the suggestions contour. I will look into those options. Stanley Park appears to come up often. Anyone ever use airbnb.com? Sounds kind of interesting and there are a lot of listings in Vancouver.

Frango

Frango
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm 
Don't bother with Capilaino - go to Lynn Canyon instead. Has a suspension bridge, lots of walking trails, is waaaay less touristy and is free. Granville Island is always worth checking out - lots of cool little shops, good restaurants, a couple of pubs and of course the market. If you want a good pub, Steamworks in Gastown makes great beer and has pretty good food too. Stanley Park - absolutely. Rent a bike or walk the seawall. The aquarium is world renowned - and doing a great job in rehabilitating injured seals and otters which you can check out. Grouse mountain is a fun local mountain - the sky ride is kind of cool. The snow pack has been so nonexistent this year, the grouse grind might still be open if you want a lung burner. And, there's beer at the top as a bonus. There is also a zip line tour at the top which may or may not be open depending on the snow or lack thereof. Dr Sun Yat Sen garden in Chinatown is cool. As is Chinatown itself which is just a peek back into the old days of the city. Go to the Punjabi Market area around 49th and Main St. Get some decent South Asian food and check out the sari's. Beautiful. Go out to UBC - the museum of anthropology is great.

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:36 pm 
Thanks for the tips Frango. I was wondering if Capilaino was worth a visit above Lynn Canyon. Capilaino was about $50 USD for the two of us to visit so I was debating the visit. I appreciate the pub suggestions as I quite enjoy beer tasting.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:49 pm 
China town some great food. up.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm 
We like the Blue Horizon. Park in their lot, don't use your car till you leave town. But then I'm a big fan of Robson. Get crepes kitty corner across the street for breakfast. Vancouver makes Seattle look like a cow town.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm 
We are gardeners and if the weather continues as it is, late April will be a great time to visit the gardens. UBC has a large collection of Rhododendrons in a wooded area. They have added a canopy walk for added interest. Unfortunately, it has raised the $$. There is a conservatory in Queen Elizabeth Park. It is tropical house with orchids and parrots. I recommend the park even if you don't go to the conservatory. It is in an old quarry and nicely designed. Always lots of weddings in the summer. Van Dusen has a great golden chain walk if it is bloom. We went one year around mid-May and it was spectacular. Definitely recommend Stanley Park even if you just drive around. Definitely stop at the Totem Poles near Lions Gate Bridge. Chinatown is good as is the Chinese Garden. We also ate at Steamworks. It was a little touristy for me but not bad. Last time we went cheap and stayed at a Days Inn along Kingsway shakehead.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 pm 
Thanks for the advice Marta, we are staying at a place right next to Queen Elizabeth Park that we rented on Airbnb.