Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Record player?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 am 
i love my music and love the sounds of a record player and the music that surrounds it. I'm looking at purchasing one, but really have no clue what I'm looking for? I see turntables at best buy for seriou money, then go on Craigslist and see some for $50-$100. What should I be looking for? My only requirement is that is can hook it up to my existing stereo with rca cables. I like the dead, Zeppelin, Beatles, U2, Tom petty, etc...

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 7:20 pm 
Here is one with USB output in case you want to record your vinyl.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm 
I had one of those it worked, one advantage is it had a built in preamp (most modern receivers do not have one and will not work with a magnetic cartridge). Software was kludge though.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostWed Feb 18, 2015 7:31 pm 
Thanks. Is this ok? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4889614185.html

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 am 
I just finished copying all my albums to MP3's using that Ion turntable. Worked really well. I Can't speak to replacement needles, seeing I borrowed the turntable. Just have to really clean the albums of dust etc. The software used is really easy, compared to the Audacity one. Then I used the Audacity software to remove the clicks and pops. Audacity software is a really a music editing program that you can do a lot of things with. If not planning to turn into MP3's any old turntable will probably work. Getting needle cartridges may be more difficult. I have a Technia SL3 that still works but haven't used it since CD's came out over 20 years ago.

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 7:58 pm 
I play records every day. I have a lot. I have an old Onkyo that works fine. I could make them digital, but it would take forever, and I would rather play disc jockey anyway. They sound just fine. I think all you need is a medium or better turntable and one made before 1990 or so. Find it on Craig. Everyone thinks they should dump all their old records and stuff so these are easy to pick up. Of course you can replace needles and things, just look on line. There is a store in the Roosevelt district that sells them. All I'll probably play this weekend will be Sam Andrew's incredible guitar on Big Brother and the Holding Company. Check out Summertime. Play lots of records. Far out.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 4:48 pm 
I love playing records on vintage equipment in the garage. Lots of good equipment on Craigslist. It is worth it to spend a little bit more and get a decent setup. Be careful...very addictive. My Technics player from the 70's still works as good as new.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 8:15 pm 
I love this stuff. My shop system includes a Dynaco SCA80-Q amplifier I built in college driving a pair of awesome Akai speakers my dad bought in 1964. At the time the amplifier was a big improvement over the tube amp scrapped from a hospital PA system in the 60's that served me well for years. Turntable is a manual PL-10 Pioneer Belt drive I bought for $100 in 1974. (big bucks) I love my old vinyl collection, though I also have a CD player connected. I spend a lot of time in my shop. If I'm not listening to KEXP, there is a CD in, or an old vinyl like Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, or something from Johnny Cash's gospel collection. Great stuff.

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 9:33 pm 
I have my grandparents' 1917 Victor Victrola which will still work after the electromagnetic pulses from the next nuclear war fry our electronics. I even have some records that are pressed only on one side. Until recently, there was a J. & S. Phonograph Needles store in the Roosevelt neighborhood in north Seattle. Kinda like having a slide rule store in Redmond. You do need a decent turntable -- I got a very nice one for $5, much better than I ever had back in the day (my first record was a 45 RPM) -- but it has a slight wobble in the speed, imperceptible when I play it directly, but when I recorded LPs with it, the wobble is always at the same place, and somehow that makes it much more apparent and annoying. I want to record all the old Victrola records directly to MP3 or whatever, thereby skipping half-a-dozen generations of audio technology. The cartridge and needle are critical. A worn needle not only sounds bad, it wrecks your records. I have this "Manual Parastat" record cleaner -- two velvet brushes sandwiching a very fine paintbrush-like brush that allegedly cleans the grooves. I believe some hardcore audiophiles prefer vinyl to digital.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 1:06 am 
I also have a turntable and still use it up.gif Last year i was in the Pawnfathers pawnshop in mid-Everett and they had turntables for sale, don't forget to haggle, I have never had them turn down a reasonable offer. For instance I bought a DeWalt sawzall from them ^....it was marked $59.99 and i told him i would pay 50 cash, i usually don't make ridiculously lowball offers, i just try to be reasonable and cut to the chase.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 am 
This is awesome. I am also getting the sense that there small"cult following" with this and I love it. Finding albums cheap is tough though I'm finding.... There are a ton of albums at goodwill, value village, half price books, but I can't find the music I'm interested in. I have yet to get to a record store. But I imagine to find an old grateful Dead album will be more than the $2 you see at the goodwill of the world.

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 9:39 am 
Here is the address for Hawthorne Stereo, turntable sales and service: 6303 Roosevelt Way NE Now for a little secret, you may really clean those old grooves with Titebond ll woodglue. Yep, put the dirty, scratchy, beat up copy of Electric Flag, A Long Time Comin, on said turntable. The one with powerhouse Buddy Miles on drums. Start turntable, 33rpm. Apply Titebond ll to the grooves, while it is turning, start at the innergroove, (another story here) and spread the stuff to the outergroove. Slowly work your way across the turning record, cover it completely. Then, still turning, use your #1 finger, smooth it until it covers all the grooves. Watch out, you don't want the sticky stuff over the edge and you know where. Leave it until tomorrow. Let it set up and it'll turn clear. After a day or so, carefully peal it off. Should come off in one complete sheet. Use your fingernail to remove any remains. Ready for a much better copy? Sit back and enjoy Michael Bloomfield's electric guitar. You ever heard of Harvey Brooks? Richie Havens? I'm not making any of this up. Shop? I keep my gear in the living room.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 10:15 am 
Hitting the local record stores is very fun. You can spend an entire rainy day searching for great music and bargains. If you don't have the time or want to waste gas driving from one store to another, online record shopping is the way to go. Check out musicstack.com. The choices of music, quality of the vinyl, and price is amazing. Lots of Mint or Near Mint condition records for less than $10. I shopped at another online store a while back that was even better, but I can't find the name of it right now.