Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Flu Relapse?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lilredexpress

Lilredexpress
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:02 pm 
frown.gif So here's the deal. I got the flu 3 weeks ago. I am a brat when its time for the doctor visit and usually wait till I suffer for long periods to avoid the Doctor visit but this time I went after 2 days after not feeling well since I had a pending Hawaii trip the following week. Doctor gave me Tamiflu and within 4 days I was feeling like a champ. So I had 4-5 days of thinking I feel totally over it before I went to Hawaii on FEB 6th. I went and played low the first few days but eventually did go hiking a 11 Mile RT Ridge hike. Totally felt fine. Came back Feb 12th felt fine. By last Saturday I was hiking up towards Pratt Lake and realized I was feeling week so I turned around as I was going around Olalie Lake. I went into denial and said I am not SICK AGAIN! hockeygrin.gif Right? eek.gif Riiiiggghtt!! Went to the Doctor yesterday and he said yup you got what everyone else has, nasal congestion upper chest congestion and feeling hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold. He said suck it up and ride it out pal. So he gave me antibiotics because I was't totally clear drainage now. and said drink water and NO HIKING!!!!!!!! So my question is besides staying hydrated, massive amounts of VIT C, and Mucinex, has any one else had this flu/Congestion/muck this season? I have never been sick longer then a week and I have cabin fever already and with a potential good weather weekend coming up for a early season overnight ( not going to get better by then I know bawl.gif ) Just looking for extra home remedies or things that have worked for you when you are not in hiking shape and feeling crummy. I am mentally preparing myself for not hiking this weekend which sucks. I should have stayed home and not gone to Hawaii so quick but I felt so good I didn't cancel. Any idea's are appreciated in advance!! Signed: Can't Breathe!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 pm 
This sounds a lot like the crud that has been going around. Some report the 6 week crud. I had something similar last year. Finally ran it's course. Maybe you just got unlucky and caught a second virus after the first...

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:50 pm 
There have been a couple threads on this and you are not alone...although I suspect that doesn't make you feel better. Finish your antibiotics and wait until you have no drainage (nasal) or any other symptoms before you do any real exercise again. Then take it easy as you get back into shape after your long absence from the mountains. Everyone I know who had this bug and went out as soon as they felt better had a relapse and it was worse the second time around. Absolutely avoid getting sweaty, and then chilled, as that is a sure way to lower your body's defenses. Good luck! hang in there; it won't last forever, but you can't rush it.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 3:00 pm 
Picked it up last Thursday I'm not quite 100% yet. won't be hiking this weekend! waah.gif

Lilredexpress

Lilredexpress
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm 
Thats exactly what I have been hearing from others, they said prepare for the 6 week hangover! Yup sounds like I better just let it run its course and lay low. Looks like a movie and book reading weekend coming up. Thanks for the info.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 3:44 pm 
Hot showers can really help with the congestion. When it's been really bad for me, I've sometimes taken 2-3 showers in a day. Along the same lines, drinking hot liquids can help too (soup, tea, hot cider, etc.) Sometimes I make a mug of hot water just to breathe the steam. Depending on how sick you are (and definitely use good judgment on this one), if the weather's nice you might consider going for a short walk around the neighborhood, maybe even just a block or two. Since you're a hiker, a short flat walk won't feel like real exercise, but it will get you a little fresh air and may help keep you from going too stir-crazy. I hope you get better soon.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm 
Trouble is, you can't make a virus go away sooner. All you can do is mask the symptoms with various concoctions. I got it last Friday and was bed-ridden for 3 days. On Monday I felt much better and did a last-day-of-the-season loop around the Icicle River cross-country ski track. It took me 1.5 hours instead of 1. By the next morning I felt as bad as I had on Friday. My symptoms are congestion and aching, but no sore throat, and definitely no oomph. I have less congestion every day, but anytime I think I might go for a little walk to see if I'm better, I need a nap by the time I walk over to the closet to put my coat on. Not fun.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 6:33 pm 
Try using a Neti Pot to rinse your sinuses twice a day with saline solution. It flushes your sinuses where the virus can linger. This advice was given to me by a ENT and I use it to reduce the longevity of a cold/flu. -Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostThu Feb 19, 2015 9:25 pm 
I had it for 3.5 weeks. It sucked. No way around it except to let it run it's course.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 am 
I woke up Sunday withe a sore throat and when I took a look my tonsils were big and covered with white plaques. tired tired tired, but nothing else they are still speckled , less sore but WTH...?? either get sick and be done with it or go away. can barely make it through a day without being totally done in and going to bed at 830 I know it could be worse, but as someone who rarely gets sick, this is a drag.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 am 
Curious, did you guys get the flu shot?

Lilredexpress

Lilredexpress
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 9:36 am 
I will probably get blasted for this response but, I have not had a flu shot in over 15 yrs. I have been playing with fire I know. I was actually about to break down this year and get one and when I looked into it casually talking to my doctor early DEC he said might as well wait till next year because the shots they have out are not working well against this yrs strain. So me being me said oh cool, I'm tough and in shape and eat well and exercise and haven't gotten the flu and skip flu shots of course I can make it one more year!!!! bricks.gif Then at that moment my wall of imunity came crashing down. Welcome back!! So no flu shot this season. Guess who is getting one November 2015? Yup yours truly. chickenleg.gif

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:16 am 
No judgement from me. The performance of the flu vaccine varies from year to year of course, but even the mainstream media is reporting that this year is particularly dismal.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:11 pm 
I second the motion on using a Neti Pot. A few years ago I went though this heinous 6 week sinus infection and using a Neti Pot was instrumental in my comfort and recovery.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 6:36 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
Curious, did you guys get the flu shot?
I have never gotten a flu shot in my entire life. In the past I have rarely gotten sick, but in the last year and a half I have gotten sick 4 times and it has always been with a cough and congestion. Three of those times I got sick, what I gotten had lasted for more than 4 weeks long.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln