Forum Index > Trip Reports > "More Rain" Mtn 7252 (USGS Forbidden) 2/15 – 2/16/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 am 
Dates: February 15-16, 2015 Destination: "More Rain" Mtn (7252 ft. 312P) via Torment Basin Party: Matt, Dicey, Steph Abegg "More Rain" Mtn is the 7252-foot point on the ridge west of Mt. Torment, named for its position high above Morraine Lake. (The lake, however, is in such a deep hole that you can't even see it from anywhere up on this ridge). We hiked up the Torment Basin climbers trail to Torment Col (the 6670-foot col west of Torment), then followed the ridge up to More Rain. We had originally aspired to go through the col and climb Torment via its NW Glacier, but various snow conditions plus a very cold windy night cancelled that plan. Instead we enjoyed dramatic views from a new vantage on the Cascade Pass crest, plus beautiful sunset and sunrise light. I'd highly recommend this destination. The way trail is surprisingly good for the Cascades, and Torment basin is all moderate snow travel. We didn't even use our ice axes till we were nearly at the summit, just snowshoes for some soft parts and crampons for some firmer crust.
More Rain Mtn GPS Track
More Rain Mtn GPS Track
Sunday Torment Creek Way Trail We parked at the Eldorado gate and hiked 0.7 miles to the start of the Torment Basin climbers trail. Just after the road crosses the river, there's a small pullout on the right, and the trail begins right there on the left, where you can spot a faint trail and cairn. We were able to follow it upward for a couple thousand feet. It's periodically obscured by downed trees, but easy to find again farther uphill. It's all mature forest with little brush, by far the easiest approach I've done in the Cascades for a long time. At 4000 feet, there was one rough spot where larger trees were down on a steeper slope, but above that it was easier hiking again. If you're not sure where to go, just keep the creek on your left the whole way.
Torment Basin Way Trail
Torment Basin Way Trail
Typical trial marker, a single rock sitting atop a log that had fallen across the track
Typical trial marker, a single rock sitting atop a log that had fallen across the track
Pretty sunlit tree trunks
Pretty sunlit tree trunks
We walked on dry ground till 4600 feet, then moved into snow along the creek bed. Under the trees, the snow was hard enough for crampons. We continued upward near the stream, crossing it at about 4800 feet, then beginning to angle farther right into the basin. Around 5400 feet we came out onto wide open snow and a bright warm afternoon. Time for sunglasses and sunscreen. We switched to snowshoes since our boots were sinking in somewhat, but probably could have gotten by without them. Torment Basin The basin was easy travel across moderate slopes to Torment Col, the 6760-foot col between Torment and More Rain. However, it was also all side-hilling, making our legs ache with the uneven effort. Periodically we went straight upjust to relieve the strain on our uphill legs. However, our efforts were rewarded and motivated by widening views of the peaks around us and the steep spires of Torment above us.
Sidehilling across Torment Basin to More Rain Mtn.
Sidehilling across Torment Basin to More Rain Mtn.
Johannesburg behind us
Johannesburg behind us
Crossing below Mt. Torment
Crossing below Mt. Torment
Playing with shadows
Playing with shadows
Looking up at the walls and spires of Mt. Torment
Looking up at the walls and spires of Mt. Torment
At the far end of the basin we came to Torment Col, which is the lowest point on the entire ridge of peaks that stretches from Eldorado to Buckner. Through the col, we could look across to the peaks of the Icecap Traverse, stretching from Eldorado to Tricouni, with Klawatti Peak and the Inspiration Glacier right across from us.
Looking through Torment Col to Borealis Pass and Tricouni Peak
Looking through Torment Col to Borealis Pass and Tricouni Peak
Looking through Torment Col to the Inspiration Glacier & Klawatti Peak
Looking through Torment Col to the Inspiration Glacier & Klawatti Peak
Torment Col to More Rain Mtn We walked into the col a ways to look at the route we'd have to take down a thousand feet if we wanted to cross over to Torment's northwest glacier tomorrow, and stashed some of our climbing gear by a big rock. Then we headed up the ridge crest to More Rain peak to spend the night. We decided to put our camp just past More Rain's 7100-foot east summit, where there were wide flat areas with plenty of room, but also plenty of wind blowing across the crest.
Our tracks crossing Torment Basin and heading up More Rain
Our tracks crossing Torment Basin and heading up More Rain
Ascending the ridge above Torment Col
Ascending the ridge above Torment Col
Partway up the ridge to More Rain
Partway up the ridge to More Rain
Continuing up More Rain, as Forbidden comes into view behind Torment
Continuing up More Rain, as Forbidden comes into view behind Torment
Sunset on More Rain Mtn Sunset was approaching fast, so Steph and I hurried up to take photos from the summit, while Carla decided to stay and set up camp. More Rain had large cornices on the north side, so we couldn't look over at the peaks on that side, but setting sun cast a beautiful display of changing light across the peaks arranged around Mt. Torment. We watched as the light altered from daylight glare to a subtle evening glow. The snow-clad peak made a dramatic canvas for the light, shifting from bright white snow below a deep blue sky, then softening to pastel gold and pink glowing across the peaks, to mauve and blue shadows spreading across the basins, and finally deepening into gray-toned darkness below a deep purple sky.
Blue & White in full daylight, 4:53pm
Blue & White in full daylight, 4:53pm
Colors softening near sunset, 5:15pm
Colors softening near sunset, 5:15pm
All pink alpenglow, 5:24pm
All pink alpenglow, 5:24pm
Purple shadows spreading across the basins, 5:28pm
Purple shadows spreading across the basins, 5:28pm
Last faint light on the crest, 5:31pm
Last faint light on the crest, 5:31pm
Tones of gray and deep purple as we return to camp, 5:38pm
Tones of gray and deep purple as we return to camp, 5:38pm
A few more highlights of the sunset:
Me enjoying the sunset
Me enjoying the sunset
Forbidden & Torment
Forbidden & Torment
Boston & Sahale
Boston & Sahale
Cascade Pass & Johannesburg
Cascade Pass & Johannesburg
Wind blowing across the ridge
Wind blowing across the ridge
Wind & Cold As I hiked back down to camp after sunset, I could see Carla standing by the tent that she had put up. When I paused for more photos, I found out why she was standing there. She yelled out, "The tent will blow away if I let go. I need your help to put it up." The next couple hours were consumed by trying to get camp set up in the relentless wind and blowing snow. The first tent, my Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, stood up surprisingly well once its corners and fly were anchored in the snow. Its large vestibules even had enough clearance to run two stoves under cover from the wind. However, the other tent, my one-person Big Agnes Fly Creek, totally distorted and collapsed. Its single pole just wouldn't stay in place. I ended up working by headlamp to contrive extra lines to every spare object we had to various parts of the tent, until finally it would stand well enough to sit or sleep inside. Meanwhile, anything left out on the snow tended to disappear under the spindrift. When the tent would finally stand up, I did something I've never done before, and crawled into the sleeping bag without heating any water or cooking dinner. I was just too worn out from cold and wind. Fortunately, Carla later brought me a pot of hot water that they'd heated in the other tent, and later I was able to get up and boil some more water to share for hot water bottles. Inside the tent, at least, I was quite warm. My new XTherm air pad insulated really well, even sleeping on snow. For the rest of the night, my main memory is periodically looking out into the vestibule and seeing my gear slowly disappearing in the spindrift that blew under the edge. Monday Still I had to be ready for sunrise, so the end of the night went something like this. 4:15am, temperature inside the tent read 18 degrees. 5:15am, stuck my boots inside my sleeping bag so they'd thaw out enough to wear them for sunrise. 6:15am, pushed aside the spindrift to look outside the tent onto the scene below. Sunrise was still an hour away, but Eldorado showed just the faintest glow of light and subtle hue of color reflected from the lightening sky that was hidden by the snow crest behind me.
Morning begins
Morning begins
Sunrise at More Rain Camp In anticipation of the morning, I'd slept with all my clothes on anyway. So I wedged my feet into the partially thawed boots and hiked up to the lower rise just above camp to watch the day begin. First came faint shadings of color tinting the clouds behind the eastern peaks and reflecting onto the snow below. This sunrise wasn't bright primary colors, but subtle shades of coral and mauve.
Torment, 6:53am
Torment, 6:53am
Wind-carved snow & Primus, 6:55am
Wind-carved snow & Primus, 6:55am
Tracks & Johannesburg
Tracks & Johannesburg
The view south, with Bruseth, Rainier, Sloan, Sonny Boy, &  Buckindy
The view south, with Bruseth, Rainier, Sloan, Sonny Boy, & Buckindy
Then the light began to shine westward onto Eldorado, which lit up bright orange.
Our camp, More Rain, & Eldorado just before sunrise, 6:59am
Our camp, More Rain, & Eldorado just before sunrise, 6:59am
Orange clouds behind Eldorado
Orange clouds behind Eldorado
First peak to catch the light, 7:08am
First peak to catch the light, 7:08am
Craggy shadows of Klawatti
Craggy shadows of Klawatti
Steph & Carla bundled up for the morning
Steph & Carla bundled up for the morning
Glowing ridges of Johannesburg, 7:19am
The Morning Raven of Eldorado Peak
The Morning Raven of Eldorado Peak
The sunrise done, I went back to my tent and crawled back into my sleeping bag to wait for the sun. Of course, we had put our tent in the westward lee of a rise, so it was the one place on the ridge that never got any sun. Carla & Steph went up to see the morning view from More Rain, but I had fallen back asleep so soundly that I didn't even hear them leave. Hiking Down Eventually we dug all our gear out of the snow and packed up to leave.
Stitched view of More Rain, Eldorado and much of the Icecap Traverse
Stitched view of More Rain, Eldorado and much of the Icecap Traverse
Heading down to the col to pick up our stashed gear
Heading down to the col to pick up our stashed gear
The area stayed windy all across the basin. In some places, the wind had blown away everything but our packed tracks, leaving fossilized snowshoe prints standing on the surface.
Admiring our fossilized snowshoe tracks
Admiring our fossilized snowshoe tracks
Looking back at More Rain from the far side of the col
Looking back at More Rain from the far side of the col
You take the high road and I'll take the low road
You take the high road and I'll take the low road
Snow was firm enough for crampons the whole way. Sidehilling downhill in the crampons turned out to be even more of a leg-burner than going uphill with snowshoes. Down in the woods, progress went easier, but it was still a steep descent with a full pack. For the next couple days afterward, I couldn't walk down stairs without grabbing the railing and gasping at the pain in my quads. Stats: Eldorado Gate to More Rain Camp 7100, 5.0 miles, 4930 gain Camp to More Rain Summit, 0.25 miles, 50 loss, 200 gain Gear Report Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 tent - worked very well in the wind. Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 tent - failed totally in the wind. Xtherm Air Pad - stayed very warm on the snow Ropes, harnesses, helmets, pickets, ice screws, extra tools, avalanche gear - lots of extra weight for the climbing that we didn't do Steph Abegg's Trip Report

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 5:53 am 
Looks like it has some great views! Thanks for sharing! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 7:34 am 
Considering things this winter, everything about this post ROCKS in a big way! Thank you, thank you.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 7:59 am 
I think it's difficult to get conditions on the NW Glacier that inspire confidence. They can be had, but you go through such a variety of terrain and slope aspects that you really have to hit it right. Thanks for the stoke and the great photos. Brings back some great memories.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 am 
That looks very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing smile.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:04 am 
up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 am 
Matt wrote:
Johannesburg behind us
Johannesburg behind us
I really like this one, especially in the larger size. Johannesburg looks fantastic. (Steph Abegg also has a great shot of J'burg in her report.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
iron

iron
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:55 am 
you are the king of sunrise and sunset shots! nice trip. more rain has been on my list for awhile...

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Feb 20, 2015 11:58 am 
Wow!!! Just gorgeous. slobber.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
very nice trip up.gif i agree with what iron said, you are the king of sunrise and sunset shots

Eric Eames
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 pm 
Effin gorgeous! up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Feb 22, 2015 12:35 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
very nice trip up.gif i agree with what iron said, you are the king of sunrise and sunset shots
Speaking of which, I added the overnight and sunrise report to the end of my original post above. The sunrise had some really cool blends of colors on the snow.

iron

iron
PostSun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 am 
Matt wrote:
Tracks & Johannesburg
Tracks & Johannesburg
Matt wrote:
one, or both of these, need to be in the 2015 calendar! wow!!!

Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Feb 22, 2015 7:16 am 
Some truly stunning shots as usual Matt!!!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Aug 02, 2016 10:21 pm 
Amazingly, Dicey found the ice screw that I lost in the snow at this camp when she went back 18 months later on Brett's trip to Eldorado via this ridge.