Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wondering whether a go fund me page would be gauche?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Feb 23, 2015 10:14 pm 
I'm planning on doing burgers on the PCT again this year at Tieton Pass. The crowd this year looks to be bigger than normal and I'd like to do the two weekend straddling Labor Day and LD weekend as well. Problem is my wife is starting to make noises about tying up three weekends in a row and the expense. I can't do anything about the time off/eating up weekends thing, but was wondering your opinion on doing a go fund me page for $3-400 dollars or so to help pay for the food. I don't want to come off as a leech, but think that having the food at least partially paid for by donations might settle my wife down some. I'm pretty sure I can get fresh produce and fruit donated when the time gets closer, but the meat buns cheese bacon etc will add up over a span of eight or ten days. Question being do you think I should do the GFM page? Do people who do those come off as dicks or scammers? I'm not the most in touch person when it comes to modern internet manners so I'd like to know your opinion... smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 pm 
I think you should go for it, your project is quirky enough that I think you'd reach your goal pretty easily. As long as you represent yourself and your cause honestly I see absolutely nothing wrong with crowdfunding pretty much anything. The fact is that people enjoy helping other people, and unlike a traditional charity when they participate in a crowdfunding campaign they are contributing to something more personal, and they can more easily see the direct effects of their contributions. The amount of things that have been accomplished via crowdfunding is truly amazing, and I think it is one of the greatest things brought about by the internet.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 8:29 am 
Why not, what's the worst that can happen? Sounds like a fun effort!

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 am 
I think it's totally fine. It's for a totally legit cause. You are trying to help others. And as we've seen, it's up to the internet community how they choose to spend their money. If people think this is a worthy cause , they will donate. I thinks it's awesome that you help the PCT hikers this way. up.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 am 
It's a marketplace of ideas. I could set up a go fund me page to feed crack cocaine to hungry puppies, no one would donate. Your goal is a little more worthy.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am 
I can't find that peak on any maps near the pct!!...is it german named one?....mayb pronounced different?

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 12:29 pm 
the fact that you're doing it for others maakes it a total go! smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm 
Since you are volunteering your time to feed hungry thru-hikers, asking other to pitch in for the supplies is very appropriate. That far less gauche than the "Go Fund Me" pages for folks that are looking for donations so they can hike the PCT.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 pm 
I'll throw in a few bucks. Cool project up.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 6:38 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
I can't find that peak on any maps near the pct!!...is it german named one?....maybe pronounced different?
Tieton Pass is in the Goat Rocks, about 11 miles south of White Pass. It's in the trees, not much to see, but before the bridge washed out it was a quick and easy way to access the GRW. I'm going to have friends with motorcycles cover the section between the bridge and the trailhead, then enlist some hiking buddies and my sons to help haul the supplies in (4.5 miles).

strider

strider
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 9:23 pm 
Cool. Go for it. Suggestion: As part of the request, indicate a plan to document your efforts with photos. People would love to see their donation at work. You might also ask that someone(s) with photo skills join you for a day, or two, or the whole time even. Better than snapping them yourself while you flip burgers. I'd volunteer, but I have zero skill with a camera. I wonder if anyone has ever snapped a picture of every PCT thru hiker in a given season. That would be a fun thing to do.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 10:21 pm 
strider wrote:
Cool. Go for it. Suggestion: As part of the request, indicate a plan to document your efforts with photos. People would love to see their donation at work.
This - definitely make sure to share pictures/stories/etc.

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Feb 24, 2015 10:33 pm 
Those who care will share smile.gif Sodas in a creek, a bag of bananas in a tree or a BBQ, all received the same. Magic is magic. What you can is appreciated. up.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostWed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 am 
given the interest in the PCT this coming year would be a great time to try the GFM drive. and I agree. document the effort via pictures and blog so that donors can learn about your weekend and the interesting stories of the characters that attend the BBQ

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 am 
First off: I have to say that I certainly enjoyed all the magic I got on my thru hike. Kbatku - I salute your sense of wanting to help. HOWEVER....... Instead of spending a bunch of money on yet another food feed that will benefit only the few hikers that pass by when you're there and disappear the moment you do, I'd suggest putting all that money and effort into doing something for the hikers, not only now but in the future, that will be of a more permanent nature. As far as the money: I know the PCTA has a fund specific for land acquisition. Help buy up the remaining privately owned parcels to permanently protect the trail. The legacy that would leave versus a few burgers is far, far greater. Write your check for less than what you would have spent on burgers - call it $200. As far as your and your buddies time and effort: Join the PCTA trail crews if you don't already. From first hand experience, there is nothing quite like cruising down well cared for trail - I'd rather have a couple miles of brush free trail than a burger - about the same effort on your part. The work you do will last years - the sections the crew I helped found (North 350 Blades) that we brushed back in 2010 are STILL benefiting hikers to this day - every hiker that passes by, early season, mid season, late season, while I'm out there, while I'm home, day, section, and thru, and even while I'm sitting here typing on this keyboard. Heck, from Yakima, you're not too far away from Stampede Pass, about the same as me coming from Lynnwood. (80 miles, 1 1/2 hrs from Lynnwood, 85 miles, 1 1/2 hours from Yakima). We have sections on either side of Stampede Pass that need someone to adopt them. I've adopted the piece just a smidge north of there, which includes Mirror Lake. Oh, and when you're out working your section of trail, THEN bring a cooler of sodas, etc. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with the PCTA Regional Representative.