Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Food Police
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 9:15 am 
A hilarious article from James Lileks....
Quote:
At the grocery store they had a sale on Pink Himalayan Salt Popcorn. The price suggested that each grain of sodium chloride had been brought down from the mountains one at a time on a 50-man bucket line, packed in 600-thread Egyptian cotton and sent to the United States in a box sitting on the lap of someone in a privately chartered Learjet. The popcorn was expensive because it flattered the class status of the people who bought it. Not for them the big bags of Ched-R-Corn whose puffy soft kernels almost glow with ingenious orange chemicals; not for them the microwave stuff, because it might have corn from Monsanto, designed by evil scientists who sit in windowless towers and conjure up new ways to genetically modify water.
Lileks on food, choice, and Proximity Police.... The opposing view....
Quote:
To capitalize on the sales boost from placing goods at the cash register, on end-of-aisle displays, or on special floor displays, supermarkets have expanded over the past few decades to provide more shelf space, especially more of the valuable end-of-aisle facings that could be leased to vendors. Today, an estimated 30% of all supermarket sales can be attributed to end-of-aisle displays. Retailers have placed more foods that increase the risk of chronic diseases in these locations, and we should not be surprised that more people are acquiring chronic diseases. Even people who want to resist grabbing these low-nutrient items sometimes fail to do so because they suffer from decision fatigue, most prominent at the end of a shopping trip. After making so many decisions about what to buy and what not to, people’s cognitive capacity becomes overwhelmed, and subsequent decisions are often made impulsively and emotionally without consideration of the long-term consequences.
There must be a way to protect people from decisions others don't like them making....supermarkets are the problem at SlowFoodusa.org

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 am 
Isn't it wonderful that we all have a choice! Here in the USA, we can buy complete junk and stuff our bodies with it. Or we can buy very healthy foods and stuff our bodies with that instead! Why do we have a problem with obesity and other health problems related to what we eat? People choose to buy the junk foods. I've seen articles blaming the government, supermarkets, fast food, and just about every other corporation out there, but ultimately we each decide what to put in our bodies.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 am 
People should be able to eat whatever they want. The problem is the govt rewards certain crops/industries and penalizes local producers that are trying to provide a healthier option. That makes the local food more expensive than it should be. For example, we market grass fed beef, but there are only (4) USDA butchers in Oregon that will even mess will small producers. This means we have to truck our cattle 175 miles one way to the Portland area. When in reality a butcher up the road can come out to the farm and knock the cow in the head. But 99% of butchers don't want to get involved with the extemely cumbersome USDA regs. The second butcher option would obviously result in a cheper price for the cosumer, but our govt has deemed it unsafe. Complete crock if you ask me smile.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
designed by evil scientists who sit in windowless towers and conjure up new ways to genetically modify water
almost right...conjure up ways to make MORE $$$$$$, nothing else at all. Making a KILLING instead of making a LIVING.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 am 
yes we know it must be immoral to conjure up new things people will decide for themselves they like. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ejain

ejain
PostThu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 pm 
It's quite convenient to shrug off issues as a matter of "personal responsibility", or to turn around and blame the environment. Reality is a bit more complicated than that. We can make fun of people who spend money on "artisan" popcorn, but there's plenty of irrationality in everyone's decision-making.

wheatie

wheatie
PostFri Feb 27, 2015 10:52 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
Isn't it wonderful that we all have a choice! Here in the USA, we can buy complete junk and stuff our bodies with it. Or we can buy very healthy foods and stuff our bodies with that instead! Why do we have a problem with obesity and other health problems related to what we eat? People choose to buy the junk foods. I've seen articles blaming the government, supermarkets, fast food, and just about every other corporation out there, but ultimately we each decide what to put in our bodies.
When something (like obesity in America) becomes epidemic there is more at play than some people's poor choices

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Feb 27, 2015 11:11 pm 
wheatie wrote:
GrnXnham wrote:
When something (like obesity in America) becomes epidemic there is more at play than some people's poor choices
Like what?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
Like what?
Subsidies. Availability.

wheatie

wheatie
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 7:17 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
Like what?
Like the government, lobbyist and all, deciding what a good and healthy diet is. Not scientists or nutritionists or doctors but politicians. Did you know that sugar has lobbists? Sugar. Do you know what happened to the career of the politician who first said red meat (beef) is unhealthy? This politician designed recommended diet is what kids are fed for school lunches, where the daily recommended amounts printed on packaging comes from. How about the media, this that and the other is good for you, eat nuts, olive oil, butter, especially from grass fed cows, avocados... and the list goes on except most Americans have one problem. They eat too many calories. How about lifestyle change. The stay at home mom/wife making dinner (and cookies and birthday cakes and homemade bread and...) is pretty much dead. People eat out way more or eat more packaged and pre-made food and bigger portions equals bigger value...

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 pm 
All I know is this: I used to be overweight. When I blamed the government and fast-food restaurants, it didn't help. I was still overweight. When I decided that I was going to take responsibility for what I put in my mouth and stop pointing fingers elsewhere, I was able to take control and lose the weight. It can be done. People can lose the weight and keep it off. But it's not easy. It's hard work. Most people gain it back because they lose focus over time. It's tough to hear and it always makes people angry and defensive but most Americans are lazy. They are too lazy to exercise. They are too lazy to take the time to make themselves a healthy meal when a Big Mac and a large fries on the way home from work is the easy/lazy way to get your dinner. You have to take the time to make your health a priority. I hear from people all the time "I don't have time to make meals!" while they are sitting on their butt watching TV all evening long. Laziness comes from within us. We have to fix it ourselves. There is not much the government, lobbyists, and corporations can do to fix laziness. So I've quit paying attention to this article or that article on who is to blame for America's obesity problem. Until Americans learn to take control over what they put in their mouths, the obesity problem will just continue to get worse.

wheatie

wheatie
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
All I know is this: I used to be overweight. When I blamed the government and fast-food restaurants, it didn't help. I was still overweight. When I decided that I was going to take responsibility for what I put in my mouth and stop pointing fingers elsewhere, I was able to take control and lose the weight. It can be done. People can lose the weight and keep it off. But it's not easy. It's hard work. Most people gain it back because they lose focus over time. It's tough to hear and it always makes people angry and defensive but most Americans are lazy. They are too lazy to exercise. They are too lazy to take the time to make themselves a healthy meal when a Big Mac and a large fries on the way home from work is the easy/lazy way to get your dinner. You have to take the time to make your health a priority. I hear from people all the time "I don't have time to make meals!" while they are sitting on their butt watching TV all evening long. Laziness comes from within us. We have to fix it ourselves. There is not much the government, lobbyists, and corporations can do to fix laziness. So I've quit paying attention to this article or that article on who is to blame for America's obesity problem. Until Americans learn to take control over what they put in their mouths, the obesity problem will just continue to get worse.
Yeah, all those obese children need to take some responsibility and stop eating what their fat mama feeds them... Lol. You are an idiot. Almost as bad as a born again christian... Come see me in 5 years.

ejain

ejain
PostSun Mar 01, 2015 2:01 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
most Americans are lazy
If "laziness comes from within us", why is it that this affects Americans more than others? Something to do with the environment we live in, perhaps? ;-)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm 
wheatie wrote:
Lol. You are an idiot. Almost as bad as a born again christian... Come see me in 5 years.
That comment contributes nothing positive to the discussion. Further, it's offensive to me, a "born again Christian".

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
contour5

contour5
PostSun Mar 01, 2015 5:08 pm 
The food mafias are much more insidious and behind-the-scenes powerful than the food police. The food police shake their tiny fists and shriek about corn syrup and unhealthy additives but the mega-producers just keep raising the proportions of corn, toxic waste and pink slime in their products. Oddly enough, most "Himalayan pink salt" is mined in the Punjab region of Pakistan, at a distance of several hundred kilometers from the big mountains. Despite marketing claims to the contrary, it is hideously impure and may frequently contain trace amounts of mildly toxic minerals. The pink color comes from iron oxide; so one might easily concoct a poor man's version by simply scraping a bit of rust off an old truck chassis and mixing it in using a blender. Obesity is a multi-faceted conundrum. Genetics, environment, sloth, ignorance and brainwashing may play a large role, but the bottom line is that many people have an improper relationship with food. Rather than simply ingesting nutrition as required, food is used as an emotional security blanket: a source of psychological comfort when we are angry, upset or otherwise discombobulated by life's many little disappointments. Just yesterday I was so ragebound that I spent 5 bucks on a 2 oz. bag of blue cheese popcorn, made with "Rogue blue heaven" cheese from the exotic wilds of Oregon. Instant nirvanapocolypse inna foil pouch.