Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Rare reference guides and other books
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri May 21, 2004 9:40 pm 
They are doing this thread over at cc.com, thought it might be fun for us to do it here. This is what I have so far: Lakes of Washington 1 and 2, 1964 Ed., E. Wolcott (1 is autographed) Fire and Ice: The Cascade Volcanoes, 1976, Stephen Harris Geologic history of the volcanoes pre-St. Helens eruption 102 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes, South Cascades, and Olympics, 1971 Edition, Spring and Manning (I have a lot of the 100 hikes books in multiple editions, but this is my fave!) Monte Cristo Area: A Complete Outdoor Guide, 1977, Harry Majors (thanks!!!! smile.gif ) What I must have: Both Rocks and Routes books The Alpine Lakes picture book from about 1973 put out by the Mountaineers. I'd steal my dad's, but it's still out on the damn coffee table, so I'm afraid he will notice. mad.gif Whatcha got?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat May 22, 2004 3:45 pm 
I've managed to buy most of those on your list. The Routes and Rocks books are my favorites, but were the most pricey. Another one I stumbled across a couple years ago was an older Time Life Book (part of a series - the black ones) on the Cascades. Its got some pretty cool pictures including one of Silver Lake in the North Cascades.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat May 22, 2004 8:51 pm 
I've got the Lakes of Washington books. My copy of the 100 hikes series is from 1985. I've got a 1979 Beckey guide. The one from Columbia river to Stevens pass. That's what has turned up so far. I've got other stuff still in boxes.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat May 22, 2004 9:05 pm 
jenjen wrote:
I've got a 1979 Beckey guide. The one from Columbia river to Stevens pass.
Don't you mean 1973, or did he publish another one?... My Beckey guide is autographed. It reads, "To Glenn, from mom and dad, Christmas 1976." suuure.gif I bet my uncles have every hiking, climbing, mountaineering, whatever... guide book from back in the day. hockeygrin.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat May 22, 2004 9:15 pm 
You know you're getting old when you bought the Routes n Rock books when they were new (including the Mt. Challenger quadrangle) and the Lakes of Washington Books (both volumes) but I'm still enjoying the books which says I've gotten my full value out of them. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat May 22, 2004 9:48 pm 
Quote:
Don't you mean 1973, or did he publish another one?...
The copy I have is a reprint of the 1973 edition.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat May 22, 2004 10:09 pm 
ha.gif ! Im one up on ya! smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 22, 2004 10:23 pm 
I have the 1949 and 1961 versions. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSat May 22, 2004 10:27 pm 
I think I have the same version Jen Jen has, except mine smells like mildew, so I can't read it for very long periods of time..............

JimK

JimK
PostSat May 22, 2004 10:33 pm 
None of mine are too out of the ordinary. I have a second edition, 1974, copy of "102 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes, S Cascades, and Olympics". Here is a favorite quote from the Lake Dorothy hike:
Quote:
Note: Eventually the road may be closed at Otter Falls, adding 1 mile and 200 feet to the elevation gain of the hike.
At that time you drove 6.2 miles up the Taylor River Road. Mt. Persis was the first hike listed. The old Lake Serene trail was #2. It was 2 miles RT with 1300 feet gained. I also have a first edition, July 1970, copy of the companion "101 Hikes In The North Cascades". Here is the start of the Mt. Pilchuck hike:
Quote:
The trail starts across from the warming hut.
At that time the ski area was still in operation. A second edition of "Trips And Trails 1" from August 1968. An original edition well used and beat up copy of "Teanaway Country" and a brand new copy signed by Mary Sutliff (Thanks Mary!). Entiat Country, also by Mary. Also various old copies of Cascade Alpine Guide green and brown, an original "50 Hikes In Mt. Rainier National Park" and others.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 22, 2004 11:09 pm 
Both Lakes of Washington books autographed. The Becky guides autographed. The Harvey guides autographed. Misc. other Washington hike related books. Mines, hot springs, lookouts, etc etc etc. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 23, 2004 8:21 am 
Not that old I guess, but what I got: 100 Hikes in Western Washington-1969 102 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes, South Cascades....-1976 The Coffee Chased Us Up-1977-signed Monte Cristo Area-1977- signed by both Mining in the Pacific Northwest-1969,1997 Footsore I&II-1978 Footsore 4-1979 Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostSun May 23, 2004 8:37 am 
Books
Don't have time to list all my "goodies" but somehow I have ended up with TWO copies (First Edition) of "The North Cascades National Park" by Bob and Ira Spring, text by Harvey Manning (Superior Press). One with a dust jacket, one without. I might be willing to sell or trade one of these. PM me if interested. It might be a couple of days before I get back to you. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
frankm3

frankm3
PostSun May 23, 2004 11:18 am 
It took me about 6 months to find a copy of that Majors and McCollum "Guide to the Monte Cristo Area", on Ebay of all places! up.gif

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostSun May 23, 2004 12:13 pm 
Books
Lakes of Washington-second edition-east and west Trips and Trails1-1976,Trips and trails2 1974 102 hikes 1983 Mountaineering-The freedom of the hills- third edition 1974 Backpacking-One step at a time- First edition-1972 The Comstock Backpacking Guide to the Pacific Northwest-First edition-1972 100 hikes North Cascades-1985 100 hikes Alpine Lakes-1985 100 hikes Glacier Peak-1988 Footsore 2-1987 Some new some old, still looking!!!!!!!!!!

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)