Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Burning drift wood ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 am 
We take our trailer down to the Oregon coast recently at Nehalam bay state park our neighbor camper thru a fit because we were burning drift wood. They went and got the park ranger and they told us to put it out the salt supposedly puts out a cancer causing chemical in the smoke. I ask the ranger if it was against the park rules he said no but do it out of courtesy, I said no thanks. The ranger sat in his offical PU in front of our camp site for a long and drove by slowly many times. As if the young punk was going to intimidate us. And the neighbors with their Prius and tent looked cold and miserable. Boy did I feel guilty. wink.gif Stubborn as we are we went and loaded the the truck up and burned a fire till well after midnight. I hope I don't get stomach cancer I have eaten hundreds of hot dogs cooked over driftwood fires. If you have not had a dog cooked this way your missing out smile.gif I guess I will have to go to campers world and buy fire in a can. I have discovered life is terminal now the powers to be don't want me to have a minor joy in my life a dog roasted over a driftwood fire at the beach.I guess I am supposed to sit in my trailer and watch movies. I would still tent camp if not for back issues I miss those times when my son was young. But the furnace is nice is the trailer wink.gif It was kind of a fun trip very humorous how serious the people were. But they had no problem filling their gas tanks and using propane,Styrofoam and plastic. And they burned them in the morning? If a law passes I will honor it and miss my dogs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 8:36 am 
I think all smoke from fires has cancer-causing chemicals. Your story strikes me more as a matter of perception of the situation. Rangers always drive by the camp loop in every place I've camped. Was there another reason your neighbors were annoyed? I've never heard of anyone complaining about a fire in a campground. Did you park you trailer next to them when there were lots of other open spots and they wanted some peace? Were your dogs loud? I think driftwood burning is usually encouraged over burning other other available vegetation.

Lono

Lono
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 am 
Word is the driftwood is infused with salt which emits dioxins when burned. There have been warnings around driftwood and woodstoves for a while, but mostly the concern is around salts which erode metal. There are a mess of carcinogens in a campfire, so probably your neighbors didn't appreciate being downwind of your bonfire. They would rather that we burn mill waste in the form of presto logs, which have no salt but who knows what else. Also zero heat.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 am 
Pseudo -science . The root of it was an effort to shut down some BC pulp mills on the pretext that because they were using logs floated to the mill that dioxins were being generated. Probably more dioxin exposure from the plastic interior of that prious.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:16 am 
Some WA state parks do have signs that prohibit collecting and burning driftwood. Lots of people still do it though... I like Nehalem, one of our favorite places to go.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 am 
Driftwood fires can be a real problem in popular coastal areas, too many fires can make the air pretty nasty to breathe. As much as I enjoy roasting hot dogs over an open fire, I'm afraid that it's probably time to consign campfires to the past.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:28 am 
Daryl wrote:
Some WA state parks do have signs that prohibit collecting and burning driftwood. Lots of people still do it though... I like Nehalem, one of our favorite places to go.
Sure , for similar reasons that cutting trees for fire wood in popular state parks is not OK.

wheatie

wheatie
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 am 
Way to stand up for your rights.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 am 
I've enjoyed some great driftwood fires. We've had some camp neighbors who chose mostly wet and a few creosote soaked pieces of driftwood to burn - that was unpleasant to be downwind of. Seemed that the more beer they drank, the more of this sort of wood they chose in their periodic staggers to the beach. Tom jut make sure you get some good char on those dogs and I think you'll be OK wink.gif

tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 am 
If you google the problem wood stoves are the issue BC alows beach fires but has a ban on driftwood burning in woodstoves. I really think green and beach fires is funny. So drive to the beach and worry about a fire. What chemicals are released. from that rei gear made in China.Cell phones,gamins and batteries for your head lamps.Tire and oil disposal for your car.And hybrid batteries and the freon leaking out of your car ac, So we worry about beach fires with less proof than the killers of planet and people. I will pull my trailer get horrid mileage and use the ac.Plus use ac and propane heat in my trailer. While watching my flat screen.And have roasted weenies in the fire. When green is not a joke for money makers I will be fist on board.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am 
tom roy wrote:
I have discovered life is terminal
Eat right, exercise, die anyway - one of my all time favorite bumper stickers.
tom roy wrote:
But the furnace is nice is the trailer wink.gif
So...was it actually the OBNOXIOUS generator that you put right next to their tent - out of earshot from your camp - that really bothered them? wink.gif I bring along a bottle of sugar water just for those occasions. Man I hate generators at campgrounds. The users should be forced to put them right outside the door of THEIR trailer...not around back for everyone else to enjoy. shakehead.gif That is one of the main reasons I avoid any campgrounds that allow RV's and trailers, too many nights of listening to some asshat's generator running all night.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
tom roy wrote:
I have discovered life is terminal
Eat right, exercise, die anyway - one of my all time favorite bumper stickers.
tom roy wrote:
But the furnace is nice is the trailer wink.gif
So...was it actually the OBNOXIOUS generator that you put right next to their tent - out of earshot from your camp - that really bothered them? wink.gif I bring along a bottle of sugar water just for those occasions. Man I hate generators at campgrounds. The users should be forced to put them right outside the door of THEIR trailer...not around back for everyone else to enjoy. shakehead.gif That is one of the main reasons I avoid any campgrounds that allow RV's and trailers, too many nights of listening to some asshat's generator running all night.
No need for a generator for me. If cant afford it I don't buy it. But those things are rude for sure. A couple of m eighties at three am would do the job, Or light and toss a road flare in their campsite.They will think it is a alien spacecraft.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
Actually that's the pet peeve of most RV campers too... go to the RV forums and there is a lot of people that discuss this. It's the off leash dog of RV forums. I have a quiet yamaha. I only run it to charge the batteries, try to do it when most people are out for the day, locate it to be of minimal annoyance to my neighbors, I only need to run it 2 hours or so once every 4-5 days, and only when camping without hook ups. Most RVers do this. It's the 1 in 10 or so that gets the noisy contractor generators and run them all day to sit inside and watch tv... (and they can't figure out how batteries work).

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 2:42 pm 
I couldn't find a paper on line, but the list of chemicals in smoke from burning clean, kiln dried Douglas-fir lumber includes nasties. I don't think most people would think they are breathing formaldehyde sitting around the old fir. But we've been sitting around the fire for ten thousand generations.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 pm 
I was curious about this and BC banned the wood stove fires mostly because people found fire wood cheap on the beach.Plus shacks with stoves were showing up on their beach's. Apparently Washington state freaks out over reacts and bans beach fires. Then the Oregon ranger with little state syndrome wants to be like the big guys. My wife is a federal employee for 30 years she spent ten years working for the EPA. How many people do you think enforce disposal of everyday items Nada. Lots of studies though. Gee ya think old oil pollutes, who knows do a study rolleyes.gif I know for a fact there is not one employee in this country that enforces freon recovery.Its left up to service people. Ok so how many just blow the freon away how many dump tires in the woods and old oil. Only takes a few bad business people. It costs money to reclaim this stuff. I will take my chances with my weenies. Buy your Prius and you can be guilt free.