Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Burning drift wood ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:32 pm 
My only complaint about folks burning driftwood is it smells like creosote. But if I'm not downwind of it, to each their own.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:58 pm 
Care should be taken when selecting driftwood pieces for your massive, towering beach inferno. Dry pieces will ignite more easily and burn faster and hotter. They are easy to identify by their relatively light weight, compared to the heavier, waterlogged and mineral-impregnated chunks. Any chunk that is extremely heavy for its size should be discarded- these salt saturated pieces; which may have floated for years in transit from Alaska or East Asia, will frequently give off noxious odors which may be mildly toxic. Anything that burns with a green flame is likely contaminated with creosote or other toxic wood preservatives. Or, just burn it all, and stand safely upwind as the toxic-laden smoke from your burnt offering spirals heavenward into the night sky. Hail, Prometheus!

tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Care should be taken when selecting driftwood pieces for your massive, towering beach inferno. Dry pieces will ignite more easily and burn faster and hotter. They are easy to identify by their relatively light weight, compared to the heavier, waterlogged and mineral-impregnated chunks. Any chunk that is extremely heavy for its size should be discarded- these salt saturated pieces; which may have floated for years in transit from Alaska or East Asia, will frequently give off noxious odors which may be mildly toxic. Anything that burns with a green flame is likely contaminated with creosote or other toxic wood preservatives. Or, just burn it all, and stand safely upwind as the toxic-laden smoke from your burnt offering spirals heavenward into the night sky. Hail, Prometheus!
There is a boat launch at Nehalem bay we are very careful of the driftwood we chose. It burns very hot with little smoke and leaves white ash's like good hardwood. Just an update we are going back Thursday through Saturday. We have agreed to give in and go to Walmart and fill our truck with the $2,99 a bundle dried wood, Well maybe some driftwood hidden from the wood police smile.gif I can taste the Johnsonville brats already. My wife even bought a high tech weenie roaster. I have become such a wimp. rolleyes.gif Nehalam bay state park even has TV reception. Old leave it to beavers are my favorite. Alfred Hitchcock to.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
My only complaint about folks burning driftwood is it smells like creosote.
Yeah, if they pick up pieces of old docks and piers and whatnot. Easily avoidable (can usually see and smell it when you pick up the piece on the beach), but often enough not avoided!

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 am 
Reminds me of a time I was on the Olympic coast. Mild weather, no fire needed. Some folks upwind of me started a huge toy fire. Wet wood, smoking like a locomotive, smelled like burning railroad ties. It was already dark, but I broke camp and hiked a mile upwind of them to a rathole camp with clean air. I get to breathe dirty air over 300 days a year. That's not what I go to the wilderness for. Remember, when you assess the costs of anything you do, that you're not the only one paying them.
wheatie wrote:
Way to stand up for your rights.
Your rights end at my nose. Thank you for not smoking.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
SKS

SKS
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:09 am 
Oh,yeah. Good ol' driftwood! As a boy growing up in Montana we would be down along the Missouri River and look for a nice stick of driftwood to smoke. That was our original cigarette. Fortunately I gave it up once I learned I was supposed to inhale. down.gif

tom roy

tom roy
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 am 
Idiots ruin it for the rest of us. that's why we want to comply to his wish, we frequent the park and I don't want to harassed, Just want tor rent a boat get some crab and relax.

tom roy

tom roy
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 am 
Dose the Missouri run by Omaha and Council bluffs Iowa where I was born. Its the state line I think. I remember cat fishing on the little Sioux, I had chicken gizzards for bait I look behind and six foot buil snake was devouring gizzards store package and all I ran like the hell and got the pole later. Then those dam turtles talking bait instead of cat fish try to real one those 20 pounders in You gotta love the mid west. Farmers love them Bull Snakesl the eat rats and leave humans alone. but cats beware.We used to smoke dried corn silk.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 12:01 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
As much as I enjoy roasting hot dogs over an open fire, I'm afraid that it's probably time to consign campfires to the past.
You can't be serious, the world will end before that happens.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 pm 
Wow...this isn't about idiots ruining it for you...you ruined it for them.
tom roy wrote:
I ask the ranger if it was against the park rules he said no but do it out of courtesy, I said no thanks.
OK, so it would have been courteous to others if you did not burn a fire, and you were told so.
tom roy wrote:
Stubborn as we are we went and loaded the the truck up and burned a fire till well after midnight.
Wonderful, you know something you are doing seriously annoys someone and you went out of your way to annoy them more? There is a saying: Your right to swing your fist stops at my nose. The Great American concept of "the right to pursue happiness" does not give anyone the right to violate that same right of others and cause discomfort to them. Do you have a big turbo diesel with the particulate filters removed so you can smoke out road bikers on mountain passes, or people at bus stops too?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm 
The Biolite stoves seem like a great compromise,
It has the warmth and cheer of a campfire, and you can cook hot dogs over it, yet it produces almost no smoke!. It is as good for cooking as a butane stove, runs only on twigs, and as a bonus charges your electronics. It's even small enough to carry backpacking, which is great because then you don't have to worry about packing fuel and can have what is basically a small campfire even in areas that ban campfires! They also make a barbecue:

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:59 pm 
+1 to what Wolffie and Schenk said.

wheatie

wheatie
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 8:16 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Reminds me of a time I was on the Olympic coast. Mild weather, no fire needed. Some folks upwind of me started a huge toy fire. Wet wood, smoking like a locomotive, smelled like burning railroad ties. It was already dark, but I broke camp and hiked a mile upwind of them to a rathole camp with clean air. I get to breathe dirty air over 300 days a year. That's not what I go to the wilderness for. Remember, when you assess the costs of anything you do, that you're not the only one paying them.
wheatie wrote:
Way to stand up for your rights.
Your rights end at my nose. Thank you for not smoking.
Is your sarcasm meter broken? Or are you comparing stumbling upon some one smoking a cigarette and having to smell tobacco short term to your campground neighbors having an f you bonfire all night long?

tom roy

tom roy
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 pm 
If your sold by the green money makiig busisness go ahead and feel good.The planet is rotting around us the US does nothing contoled by oil. At least i dont fool my self by using massive lead batterieass. And the polutants to recycle them are unregulted. No sarcasam just facts and reality.

contour5

contour5
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 pm 
Quote:
The Biolite stoves seem like a great compromise,
Compared, maybe to watching an animated GIF of a campfire on your cellphone? Hardly. I think not. Not even. Heck NO! Dad BLAST it! Just no. I can't even Nothing compares to the soothing, radiant glow of burning logs on a starlit night at the beach. The dancing flames transport the careful observer far beyond the realm of everyday human experience. It is a mystical journey; a temporary atavistic regression into ancestral memory, wherein the mystical third eye is opened, linking past, present and eternity as the thin veneer of the modern world is washed over by waves of primeval, instinctual knowledge and wisdom. It's magical. Primordial. Transmogrifying... It is an opportunity for a kind of indigenous soul retrieval for individuals whose tribal cultures long ago ceased to exist. For a few short hours, I am a cave man. Drunk past oblivion, dancing around my fire with the ghosts of my ancestors, belting out acapella versions of "Moon Over Marin". I'm pretty careful to engage in this sacrament in fairly isolated places, like, when nobody else is around. I tend not to camp in crowdy lots and can't really imagine making a large fire in a crowded place, much less a spite fire to smoke my neighbors out. But fires on the beach? Heck yeah, U Betcha! I loves me some screaming at the night sky with a fire that can be seen from outer space.