Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Burning drift wood ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 am 
lol I can see we have some real pyromaniacs here! smile.gif I'd be lying if I claimed not to enjoy the occasional campfire! Although I won't start one myself, there are times when I wont object to a friend or family member starting one of their own accord. Most of the time I prefer the silent darkness of the night, and the unimpaired contemplation of the stars.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 1:37 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'd be lying if I claimed not to enjoy the occasional campfire!
Exactly...but what many people (mostly youngers) fail to realize is that you don't need a huge fire to enjoy it, cook or stay warm. Plus if you use very dry wood, there is very little smoke. Cooking a trout over a small, safe, smokeless campfire is heavenly.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 7:26 am 
Schenk wrote:
Wow...this isn't about idiots ruining it for you...you rupp)p)ined it for them.
tom roy wrote:
I ask the ranger if it was against the park rules he said no but do it out of courtesy, I said no thanks.
OK, so it would have been courteous to others if you did not burn a fire, and you were told so. L
tom roy wrote:
Stubborn as we are we went and loaded the the truck up and burned a fire till well after midnight.
Wonderful, you know something you are doing seriously annoys someone and you went out of your way to annoy them more? There is a saying: Your right to swing your fist stops at my nose. The Great American concept of "the right to pursue happiness" does not give anyone the right to violate that same right of others and cause discomfort to them. Lll Do you have a big turbo diesel with the particulate filters removed so you can smoke out road bikers on mountain passes, or people at bus stops too?
No diesel tritan 5.4 liter V 8. Have only put 6,000 miles on it in 3 and half years. So we enjoy camping at the coast. I own a road bibike to. No I dont act like a Harley fool its a quite rice burrner. Never breaks down. Do you ever really enjoy life?Taken chances in your job or you one of the new followers that step in the political correct line. Make no mistaake. I adhear to rules and laws because I feel its right. But when someone preachs to me I sometimes i have a little fun. Plus you have no right to judge us you have no clue of what hppened there.

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'd be lying if I claimed not to enjoy the occasional campfire!
Exactly...but what many people (mostly youngers) fail to realize is that you don't need a huge fire to enjoy it, cook or stay warm. Plus if you use very dry wood, there is very little smoke. Cooking a trout over a small, safe, smokeless campfire is heavenly.
Eastern brook trout up.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 9:51 am 
tom roy wrote:
Eastern brook trout up.gif
My favorite kind! up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 am 
tom roy wrote:
Plus you have no right to judge us you have no clue of what hppened there.
OK, right, no right to judge...but as far as not knowing what happened I only went off of what you shared and it struck me as intentional needling of your camping neighbors. You have to admit that these days some people do lots of inconsiderate things, passive-aggressive things, under the guise of "following the law" and that is how I interpreted it. Sorry, I'll try to keep my judgments to myself.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
you can have what is basically a small campfire even in areas that ban campfires!
not everywhere... ONP: Campfires and wood-burning camp stoves are allowed below 3,500 feet only.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Campfires and wood-burning camp stoves are allowed below 3,500 feet only.
That's crazy, the Biolight only requires a few handfuls of twigs! Is that regulation new? I don't recall the rules including wood burning camp stoves last time I checked them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
That's crazy, the Biolight only requires a few handfuls of twigs! Is that regulation new? I don't recall the rules including wood burning camp stoves last time I checked them.
Wood burning camp stoves that use minimal amounts of wood have been around a long time. The BioLight is just a recent (and expensive) incarnation -- people are excited about it because it uses a thermocouple to run the fan and recharge the iPhone. The regulation is likely to avoid problems caused by folks using Hobo Stoves and other more primitive wood buring stoves, that require larger amounts of wood. Making the ranger nitpick with campers over the design of their wood burning stove would certainly be a headache.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 11:50 am 
I've only ever used the charging function once on my biolite, the fan is by far the most useful part of the device. It allows it to burn much hotter and cleaner than it would otherwise. The only complaint I have with the device is that it can be a little bit harder to start than a butane stove.

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 1:24 pm 
Schenk wrote:
tom roy wrote:
Plus you have no right to judge us you have no clue of what hppened there.
OK, right, no right to judge...but as far as not knowing what happened I only went off of what you shared and it struck me as intentional needling of your camping neighbors. You have to admit that these days some people do lots of inconsiderate things, passive-aggressive things, under the guise of "following the law" and that is how I interpreted it. Sorry, I'll try to keep my judgments to myself.
I was a bit harsh I am sorry about that to you seem like a decent person. We are all trying to do the right thing. Just us old stubborn farts have trouble understanding new ways of doing things. Were going back Tomorrow for a few days we don't plan on burning driftwood, Walmart has a good deal on dry bundles of wood for three bucks plus I got anew fence saved and cut some of the old ceder boards. Predicting 70 degrees there Saturday with light winds dizzy.gif Thanks for responding.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 pm 
Have fun! And for the record: I enjoy a little campfire now and then myself. Trout over a campfire is among the best things ever, especially those Brookies mentioned! Trout, potatoes, some onions, and a little bacon for some fat to brown everything, and ...yum!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:25 pm 
My favorite way to eat trout is to cook them fresh from the lake, wrapped in tinfoil with butter and spices and baked in glowing coals.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 3:23 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
My favorite way to eat trout is to cook them fresh from the lake, wrapped in tinfoil with butter and spices and baked in glowing coals.
Oh Yeah, that is good too! ...man, you're making me hungry!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 07, 2015 2:31 am 
3 days / 1097 views / 43 replies clearly the 68 days since I was last here have seen some of the greatest manifestations of the annual "cabin fever" since I joined here. unfortunately I was not present to offer comment on the "Cat vs. Bird Feeder" thread, which has since been locked (and not a moment too soon, I might add.) the weather this last week should have compelled most of you to get out there and enjoy the blue skies and sunshine, but I guess we all can always find something about which to bloviate. personally, I kind of like driftwood fires. I usually haul my household garbage along with me and toss a little on now and then just in case the smoke isn't quite acrid enough for my liking. I'm comforted with the knowledge I've received a good dose of noxious fumes when I wake up the next morning and my eyelids are glued shut. indeed, as another member said: nothing quite like a fire than can be seen from outer space! I wonder how well a Prius would burn? maybe I should check YouTube and see if it was a good idea to microwave one.... dizzy.gif
M134 Vulcan
M134 Vulcan

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."