Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Car accident. Need advice.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm 
I spent this past weekend moving. I went to the grocery store to get some empty boxes and came out to find someone parked into my car. There's a dent and a few scrapes, down to the metal. I've had the car about 7 months, it's a 2015 Subaru Forester and the only new car I've ever bought. I've worked so hard to keep that car well maintained and in good shape. frown.gif Anyway, we exchanged information, Subaru recommended a shop in Edmonds, I got an estimate. They propose to replace the door, paint it, and then paint half of the front door and half of the rear panel with a gradient to blend in with the existing paint. I'm skeptical. The shop says the other guy's insurance will not pay for a full paint job for a perfect match. My car was in mint condition until the guy hit it. He was 100 % at fault. I don't have any agreement with his insurance company to cap their liability. I still owe a lot of money on what's become a damaged car. I feel like this is a bad deal for me and I should try to do better. Am I right to be worried about a blended paint job? What would you do in my position?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm 
When my 2010 Honda Fit had 700 miles on it I got rear-ended on I-405. Pretty bad damage to the rear end. I felt like they should have totalled it, but no... My car spent a month in the shop, I was provided with a rental car during all that time. Paint match was perfect and you couldn't tell that the car wasn't new. It's been almost 5 years since then and the back end is still watertight and the color match is still perfect. I think the repair bill was about $7,700 -- I don't know what the rental bill was -- I never saw it. Maybe look for a better shop? I used RNR Automotive Refinishing in Bellevue.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 5:26 pm 
If you're going to argue with an insurance company, get some backup. Sometimes just a phone call from a lawyer will do it.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 6:06 pm 
When an older car has damage to one panel, it is impossible for the paint shop to match the subtle oxidization of the original paint. An insurance company will never agree to repaint the entire car to "match" the repair, they will only pay for the best effort possible to match the undamaged sections. With your new car, oxidization is not the problem, the nature of modern "metallic" paint is the problem. Perhaps it results from subtle variations in gravity from place to place, or the unique characteristics of each can of paint, each paint gun, or each paint booth. A shop cannot guarantee a "perfect" match undetectable to a pro. But they can blend adjacent panels, so that the panel-seam does not highlight an otherwise unnoticeable variance. Try talking to your chosen shop, and they will help you understand what the best practice in auto repair is. And you can check with other shops to confirm. When Elvis wrote, "Baby, lay off of my blue suede shoes!" I think he was anticipating a similar dilemma.

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 pm 
You can sue them for additional money. It helps that they are 100% at fault.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 6:45 pm 
I don't get the "then paint half of the front door and half of the rear panel" approach. Seems rinky dink. While automotive paint is far more expensive than house paint, it is still the preparation work / labor that accounts for the bulk of the cost of a repair. My son and I completely repainted a VW bus using 1 gallon of primer and 2 gallons of paint and 1 gallon of clear coat. Even at $300 / per gallon, paint cost is a fraction of the cost of the repair.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm 
The full paint job is irreverent. Your car now has has a branded title (it's been in a documented accident). So, ask for mo money to reflect the diminished value of the vehicle.

Brenan

Brenan
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:36 pm 
I would be ok with the repair. It's just a car after all. It will hopefully get scratched up a little on the trailheads smile.gif Then you can spend less time washing it and more time hiking.... Getting bogged down in stupid legal emails and worrying about attourneys will affect your inner zen and not be worth it in the long run!!! They do pretty amazing stuff now with auto repair If you are planning to sell it in the next couple months or worried that you spent too much that's one thing, but the suby will prob last a while. HTH

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:42 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
The full paint job is irreverent. Your car now has has a branded title (it's been in a documented accident). So, ask for mo money to reflect the diminished value of the vehicle.
I don't think so -- I think that only happens when the car is "totaled" and you buy it back from the insurance company.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm 
I agree that painting half the door seems very strange, I would go with another estimate and different shop. If it's a reputable shop, beings that your paint is that new, they should be able to match it to near perfection.....or you could just have the forrest gnome paint it and pocket the difference. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm 
Um...not an insurance claims adjuster, but still, someone who works in insurance. Title shouldn't be "branded" at all if it wasn't totaled. "Diminished value" is not covered by (most, probably all) Washington personal auto insurance contracts. That's the way it's always been and mot likely will continue to be - sadly, once "diminished value" becomes part and parcel of an insurance contract, rates almost certainly will increase and more folks will be wanting a "replacement" vehicle rather than a vehicle that has been hit. Cynical - yup. But too many folks already try to advantage of insurance (and of course, plenty do not) - like a client I know who claimed the doughnuts at the massage therapist should be covered because she was at the massage therapist because of an auto accident.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
or you could just have the forrest gnome paint it and pocket the difference. wink.gif
Actually insurance companies kind of bank on people doing that. I once had somebody back into my wife's mini-van. Their insurance adjuster came and inspected the damage the next day and wrote us a check for about $2500 and said "You can take the car anywhere to be repaired, if there is a difference between this check and what it actually costs, have the shop give me a call and we will take care of it" I did get the van repaired -- but the total bill was around $6,600 -- the insurance company covered the difference without complaint. But if I had choosen to drive a dented van -- they would have been $4100 ahead.

tom roy

tom roy
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 am 
Is it not no fault on privare property.you pay, this happened to us in a parking lot.and our preeium got dinged.the other car was undamaged. Though his faulf and admitted it. A good pant man can blend new paint with ease, my son still drives that 99 camary no sign of the paint blendig after all this time.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
H. Hound wrote:
I don't think so -- I think that only happens when the car is "totaled" and you buy it back from the insurance company.
I misspoke. While the title only gets branded if totaled, the accident will show up on CarFax reports.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:29 am 
I doubt you'll be able to notice the blend, even if you try. They are pretty good at that. Be happy that there is no structural damage that is being repaired (rather than replaced)! Also, make very sure the new door opens. closes, seals, is aligned right and everything works before signing off on anything. We had a similar situation, months after buying a new car we got rear ended, hard. Lots of structural damage that was repaired, car was never 100% the same and nothing we could do about it.