Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Car accident. Need advice.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 am 
Go to a different shop. It sounds like they're trying to gouge more money out of you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:00 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I still owe a lot of money on what's become a damaged car. I feel like this is a bad deal for me and I should try to do better.
Borrowing money to finance a car a bad deal? Imagine that wink.gif My advice: Treat this episode as a life lesson. In the future be more concerned about the debt and less concerned about the car cuz, after all, a car is just a car.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:01 am 
Thanks everyone, for chiming in with your thoughts and experience. It sounds like the paint blending thing isn't as bad as I thought. It sounded obviously wrong. I think they're planning to paint half the front door and half the rear panel to gradually fade into the new paint. I don't know, I was extremely stressed when he explained it to me. The only thing worse than moving is, well, finding out someone hit your car while you're trying to move. I'll talk to some other shops, the one I got an estimate from was recommended by the Subaru dealership.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 am 
robertjoy wrote:
An insurance company will never agree to repaint the entire car to "match" the repair, they will only pay for the best effort possible to match the undamaged section
I guess it's a moot point but I don't understand this at all. Insurance companies gamble on people, they took a bet and they lost, and have liability as a result. I can't stop making payments on the loan and say I made the best effort possible, or one I think is reasonable. I have to pay it completely. The best effort they could make to match the undamaged state of the car would be to paint the entire thing. I don't understand why they're able to stop short of that.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:20 am 
You're a smart guy but letting your emotions mix apples and oranges. Insurance is a creature of contract, not of your subjective belief of what it ought to be. The insurance carrier's risk stops at the cost to repair the car. You have the right to seek additional compensation from the negligent driver, although that has practicable limitations and is may not be worth pursuing. You borrowed money. You agreed to pay it back with interest. The car is collateral to secure the loan. An event that diminishes the value of the collateral is irrelevant to your obligation to replay the loan. ETA: Think of it in terms of contractual allocation of risk. The insurance carrier took on the risk of repairing the vehicle, but not of restoring its value. The bank took on the risk of your ability to repay the loan, a risk independent of the condition of the collateral.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 am 
Take car to Gerber Collison in Interbay. They recently did an outstanding repair job on my moms car that had extensive damage. Paint match was perfect.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:11 am 
WHO IS YOUR INSURANCE AGENT? When there are disagreements like this contact you agent or company and get them involved. The other company is just trying to mitigate its’ losses at your expense, talk to you agent to get some unbiased support and help. Having said this be sure you filed a WSP accident report so your side of the story is on file with the state.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I can't stop making payments on the loan and say I made the best effort possible, or one I think is reasonable. I have to pay it completely.
Like Steve said, this is not true. You entered a contract that said you'd pay back the loan OR they would come take the car. It crushes your credit rating for a few years and i would never suggest doing it unless you were in dire circumstances, but there is no shame in opting out of a contract and accepting the consequences. No different than breaking a lease and paying the penalty.

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:17 pm 
Skeeters Auto Rebuild 2104 S Plum St Seattle. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 pm 
Cyclopath, is their insurance going to pay for a rental car while yours is in the shop? My wife's CRV was hit in a shopping mall parking lot and the other person's insurance insisted in assigning my wife 10% fault because she did not do a good enough job of evading this person as he blindly backed up into her on an icy surface. Crazy. I got nowhere arguing with their insurance on how ridiculous that was, but was able to get them to pay me for the 3 days of car rental that I did not use. That helped me offset the silly 10% fault.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:58 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
The insurance carrier's risk stops at the cost to repair the car. You have the right to seek additional compensation from the negligent driver, although that has practicable limitations and is may not be worth pursuing.
Ok, I think this makes it clear what I was missing. In theory at least, a 100 % repair should be done, but the guy who hit me has a contract with his insurer, and if they fall short it's the other driver's responsibility. In theory. I don't plan to sue the man, and it sounds like blending the paint can actually work very well so I'm likely to be satisfied with the result. But also it makes more sense to me what's going on. Subaru recommended ABRA Auto Body and Glass in Edmonds. Anybody have experience with them? (I live in Eastlake in Seattle and work in Lynnwood. Insurance will pick up the tab for a rental car, ABRA estimated 6 days.)

wheatie

wheatie
PostWed Mar 04, 2015 4:25 pm 
My subie that I paid cash for 4 years ago needed it's first significant repairs a few weeks ago. Repairs cost more than half I paid for the car, but I will likely drive it another 4 years at least. A dent nor scratch will not break my heart, it already has a few and I will pocket the couple hundred a month car payment smile.gif

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm 
I called Amecia yesterday to get a quote.We bundle every thing I thought All state was being a bit tough on us. When we got to the home owne policyr she asked about pets I said just a Parakeet. She asked if it was in a cage? Well yes and there was a 50 dollar a year surcharge for the bird? What the hell would a dog cost? I called other places and saved some money. And America had no motorcycle coverage and she quoted a few hundred dollars more a year than Allstate without the bike.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostThu Mar 05, 2015 5:35 pm 
Did you get a police report, and do you have under-insured motorist? This sounds like a situation where their insurance wont fully compensate for your loss and an under-insured motorist plan on your end would cover the rest. Then since your insurance is paying out they will go after whoever they need to to recoup the extra money they are spending to fix your car. A police report would help you against their insurance if it indicates that the person was 100% at fault. That being siad, blending is the best way to fix this type of issue without having to repaint the entire car. But I have a replacement fender on my car that was OEM painted and it matches just fine. I also replaced my rear bumper with a white one, and the shop I took it to painted it to match my blue car in a weekend. 8 years later and my rear bumper still looks great. If the body shop can buy an OEM door that came painted in your car's color it should match just fine. No repainting needed.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!