Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Newbie with a Question:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rick H

Rick H
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 1:50 pm 
Well for those interested......I had a chat with Byron Dickinson this morning. Byron definitely remembered "Buck" but unfortunately never knew him by any other name. Buck had a sister that lived in one of the Dickinson cabins on the lake and she had a son. Apparently Buck would (once in awhile) spend the winters with his sister, but most of the time he'd weather out the winters, in his tiny cabin on the Little Wenatchee. He was a "character" with little interest in socializing, so it appears his wishes will remain intact and I'll only ever know him as "Buck...the ol' trapper". Thanks to everyone who jumped in and helped me with this one. He was not Howard Balsdon, from Cashmere. Nothing ventured and definitely nothing gained. But it was fun. Rick

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 7:05 pm 
You may still want to ask Donna the trappers daughter or her sister while they're still alive because they also keep a cabin at Lake Wenatchee and you never know... It was a small world up there. If need be I'll make some phone calls or pay some visits later this spring. (somebody knows all about this fellow whom you like).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Rick H

Rick H
PostMon Mar 09, 2015 7:14 pm 
I intend to make the trip to the Lake, to the Campground (Lake Creek) and up the trail to the actual cabin site. Although it was burnt to the ground about 35 yrs. ago, I still know the exact spot where it stood. I'll also be going to Cashmere and visiting the Mueseum just to see what they have on Howard. From there, that'll help me decide whether I need to bother Donna or her son any further. It'll make for a great road-trip.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 8:04 am 
RH: I remember another family at the lake when we were there in the early 40's (actually I believe it was the summer of '42) The name was Coffee, and I think their daughter's name was Sharon. You might ask Byron about that. Also if you talk to him again, ask if he remembers the 3 Bryant kids, Bob, Jim and Dick. We spent a lot of time that summer roaming the territory. Another place to check would be with the Forest Service, either the Leavenworth District, or the Wenatchee/ Chelan NF. Also a check with the Wenatchee Daily World newspaper archives might turn up something. If my memory is correct the cabin was a short ways up river from the campground, and across from where the old trail to Heather Lake took off. DB

Rick H

Rick H
PostTue Mar 10, 2015 12:54 pm 
I mentioned the two brothers (you & yours) to him, but didn't get much of a reaction. The cabin was about 3/4 mile up the Little Wenatchee from Lake Creek Campground just back from a little "point" and right across from the mouth of Theseus Creek as it hit the Little Wenatchee. I haven't completely given up yet.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 3:53 pm 
Another person to ask might be Leonard Sauer in Peshastin, he lives at the TH to Sauer's Mountain Trail. Many summer mornings he is outside chatting it up with the hikers. He'll talk your ear off if you give him the chance. He worked on a few trail crews in the area and has hiked all over. Also, wasn't a trapper mentioned in the book "Adventures in the Northwest"? I think his name was Allen though and I believe he had a trapping cabin on the White River, Indian Creek area.

Rick H

Rick H
PostFri Mar 13, 2015 5:23 pm 
Thanks for the Sauer tip. I'll check that out. And yes, I believe it was Allen referenced in the book.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 am 
RH: My folks knew a Dale Allen, but I think he was a game warden at the lake. He might have had a place up the White River. Checking trapping permits would probably have come under his jurisdiction. A check in the game department archives for people that had trappers licenses around that time period might turn up something. Who knows how long they keep that stuff. DB

Chico

Chico
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 pm 
Dick B wrote:
Who knows how long they keep that stuff.
These days, seven years.

Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 4:39 am 
7 Years, ouch. Even if they ship it off to Iron Mountain, it's likely not retrievable without a court order.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 pm 
RH: Here is another lead that probably won't go anywhere. In 1958 I graduated forestry from the U of W with a fellow by the name of Bob Northman. Upon graduation he went to work on the Lk Wenatchee District. I guess that was before it was merged into Leavenworth. I dropped by the ranger station to visit with him in 1960 after I got out of the army and before taking a job in Oregon. I never made contact with him after that so I don't know his whereabouts. The U Alumni Assn seems to have a pretty good record of their alumni, so a check with them might turn up something. If he could be found he would probably know something about Buck. DB

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 pm 
Another place to post might be the Wenatchee Outdoors forum. There are quite a few locals on there. Chester Marler, the author of "East of the Divide" posts articles for Wenatchee Outdoors every now and then. I know he did a lot of research on local homesteaders, sheepherders, outdoorsmen, etc. for his book. He might be a good one to ask if he heard of Buck or knows someone who would remember him. I would ask my grandmother for you, but they didn't move to the Lake Wenatchee area until the early 1970's. My grandfather worked around the area quite a bit for a logging outfit and operating heavy equipment.

Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 pm 
Another good solid tip. Thanks!!

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Rick H

Rick H
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 5:48 pm 
I got a reply from Chester Marler. He thinks he knows someone who can help. He's working on getting me the contact information. THANKS MLHSN!

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa
Rick H

Rick H
PostSun Apr 19, 2015 3:04 pm 
FINALLY......Buck's name was actually Harry Buckley. Go figure!! A Special Thanks to Ron Siderits (Lk. Wenatchee, Wa) and to all of those individuals that I called and/or corresponded with, during the search for who Buck was. It's nice to fill the gap, that has haunted me for well over 50 years. Rick H.

Rick H Lynnwood, Wa