Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Interesting article by Scott Adam's on science
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 am 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
Power plants are NOT closed systems in and of themselves, and cannot be *accurately* modeled as such from a resource perspective. Power plants produce pollution......
The exact argument can be made against electric cars. When you consider the cost/energy/pollution of mining all the exotic heavy metals needed for batteries and then manufacturing the car and disposing of the battery in the end they are way worse than gas burners. That is even before you consider the pollution from how the electricity was produced(usually by coal). But the benefit is that they make people who buy them feel good about themselves. I guess that is worth something.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 am 
MtnGoat, I'm surprised you made this mistake again, as it's been pointed out many times in this thread. What I wrote is not an argument. It is not a statement for or against anything. It is an evaluation of the open or closed nature of a particular system in an economic sense. It can only be part of data used in an argument, but no argument can be formed until there is a value judgement placed on the various components of the system. I agree that cars (all cars - gas powered ones are subject to the same issues you write about as electric, in differing degrees in different areas) should be subject to the same evaluation. (Heck, *everything* should be subject to the same evaluation.) But getting to the point of "this is something we should or should not do/support/advocate" requires a number of assumptions about relative values of various things. For example, it requires not only identifying the factual impact on, let's say (for a power plant), air/water pollution (and all associated effects - on human health, on local water/flora/fauna, on buildings, etc.), local and non-local employment (and the associated effects), monetary cost of materials for constructions/operation, potential cost of damage from forseeable risks, cost reduction or benefit from power supplied to an area, etc. As a society, we generally consider some of these impacts/costs to be negligible. (We don't generally care if building a power plant in one part of the state is going to reduce economic opportunity in a totally different part of the state. Not always true for every project, but you get the idea.) It's not that the cost actually IS negligible; its that we place no value on the cost. But it is actually still there as part of the true cost. (Yes, in some cases, that actual example would add nothing to the true cost because said plant would not be built anywhere else, but I expect you can extrapolate relevant examples and cases from te idea yourself.) There is usually societal consensus (to some degree) on what relative values of things should be - on priority. (And it absolutely changes in different societies.) But then things shift - like is happening with environmental pollution, right now - and consensus is lost. And things get messy because those assumptions that things with low-valued cost actually had no-cost are shown to be false assumptions. And people who have changed thire value (priority) of those things will clash with those who have not. Cost is cost, to a certain degree. Value is something different, and requires a lot is assumptions. But then, clearly articulating some of those assumptions is difficult for people to do, no matter how vital it is to turning the factual description of a situation into a decision making process about entering the situation or not.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 10:47 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
It's interesting to see a notion which isn't even falsifiable, claimed as an indisputable reality.
Interesting indeed, but so nearly universal that it's hard to notice. One of the main challenges of Life is detecting bullsh##, especially in one's own thinking.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Those are not arguments just principles arguments require principles supported by evidence. You have not provided evidence. The papers of scientist supported by experiments are arguments. You have nothing, just unsupported hypothesis. That is what I mean by hot air, just waving your hands around and saying models are not empirical evidence is not an argument. The models are supported by such elementary evidence as ideal gas laws, absorption of IR radiation by CO2, and atmospheric circulation all supported by thousands of experiments and observations. To counter this you have nothing. tongue.gif
Principles are not arguments? Since when? These are arguments *and* papers written by scientists are also arguments. Now you claim the basic elements of proper method are not only not arguments, but they are unsupported hypotheses. Anything you do agree with which uses these principles is resting on unsupported hypotheses, therefore. Not the best route to be taking. Models aren't evidence because they contain some principles any more than numerology or astrology are sciences because they use math. The fact remains, the arguments for your position violate these principles. It cycles between violating the first 3 points continually. There is a reason warming folks cannot close the deal, it cannot be closed because it cannot meet the standards necessary and consistent with standard practice. Scientific questions which are falsifiable don't suffer from this problem. And on point number 5, I appreciate you calling it a principle instead of an argument, this move innately undermines the entire basis of the theory.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 12:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Derision is no substitute for falsification...if your goal is applying valid method.
And hand-waving about falsification is no substitute for more thorough critical thinking on the topic. On a separate thread I've shared multiple examples of tests which could conceivably and unambiguously falsify current AGW theory. That these don't meet your apparent requirement that we have a duplicate earth with which to run a control case for the one test you choose to focus upon does not make your argument any more compelling. I suppose this is better, though, at least from a scientific perspective, than arguments which rest on whether or not god would allow humans to spoil their home.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 pm 
My 'apparent' requirement is nothing more than consistent application of the falsifiability principle. The impossibility of meeting the requirements is simply a burden implicit to the claims being made. Can we falsify some elements of the predictions made, certainly. Can the idea that human CO2 influences global temps at all be falsified? Not without the test case which doesn't exist. What you see as armwaving, I see as bland observation, which while not popular, isn't anything beyond basic application of basic rules.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 pm 
The observation in question is quite narrow, thus claiming that it demonstrates that AGW theory is not falsifiable is hand-waving. You are using a naïve sense of the term "falsification." The fact of the matter is that there are many falsifiable statements which one can construct based on current AGW theory. And that as of this moment, AGW demonstrates better "explanatory power" than any other theory. If we see CO2 concentrations continue to rise over the next century and yet we see global temperatures drop in the same timeframe, without some other very significant change in forcing (e.g. the sun somehow dropped its output by 50%) then I believe we could safely call AGW theory "falsified." Even w/o a "control" planet to compare against. Here's a good discussion along these lines which dissects the notion of falsifiability just a bit and also proposes multiple ways in which we might disprove the theory of human impact on climate. WRT the topic of the thread, I'll repeat that this is at least better than getting into a discussion about whether the creator would have set us up to be able to sully our homes in the way AGW suggests is both possible and happening.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm 
Note that my claim may be narrow, but it is also true. I am using the technically accurate sense of the word falsification. You're demonstrating what I was discussing earlier. The inability to show my arguments are actually wrong, but claiming or implying the same regardless. As for explanatory power, even the need for an 'explanation' is predicated entirely upon the assumption that something is wrong or going wrong with the climate. Once again we find the "begging the question" issue at the root. After all, unless one assumes there is a problem or should be a problem, the explanation is merely that variations in climate are natural and continue to be natural.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 pm 
Well those are not arguments to have an argument you must have evidence to back it up what you posited are statements which may or may not be true. Specifically. 1. Consensus is not evidence- even a poll is evidence of what the public thinks. In this case the consensus is of experts in the field. In court scientific issues are usually proven by expert testimony. An expert is even allowed to give their opinion on the ultimate issue. Expert opinion is considered evidence and the opinion can be discussed by other experts with different opinions and prejudice can shown by extrinsic evidence. You have never given such evidence other than unproven conspiracies and arguments over funding. In court experts can be paid for their time taken to prepare their opinion. 2. Correlation is not causation - this is not really an argument. Correlation can be indicative of causation especially if there is an isolated variable. If for example CO2 levels are rising and average temperature is rising and there are no other changes that is indicative of causation. You have introduced no evidence of alternative causation. In fact such causes as solar radiation have actually been decreasing. in any event correlation of CO2 levels with temperature is not evidence of an absence of AGW. 3. Models are not empirical evidence - that is not an argument models are a framework to which empirical evidence is applied. The empirical evidence includes historic and derived temperatures, gas laws, CO2 levels, atmospheric reflectivity, and ocean temperature. The model is more akin to an equation or theroy which is shown to be true or false by the evidence. 4 - 5 you hand waving about falsification is not an argument as others have already stated. In any event it is not an argument the theroy that rising CO2 levels result in global warming. It is merely a statement that you are unwilling to accept the evidence there is.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 4:48 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Note that my claim may be narrow, but it is also true. I am using the technically accurate sense of the word falsification. You're demonstrating what I was discussing earlier. The inability to show my arguments are actually wrong, but claiming or implying the same regardless.
Umm, and yet I've provided 10 examples of falsifiable statements which, if falsified, would pretty much kill current AGW theory. You can ignore that fact and keep repeating that none of us have shown that your arguments are wrong. But all you've shown us is one test you wish could be run but which can't. This does not preclude the existence of other tests, which I've proven can and do exist!
MtnGoat wrote:
As for explanatory power, even the need for an 'explanation' is predicated entirely upon the assumption that something is wrong or going wrong with the climate. Once again we find the "begging the question" issue at the root. After all, unless one assumes there is a problem or should be a problem, the explanation is merely that variations in climate are natural and continue to be natural.
Uhh, no. Where do you get this BS?? There need not be a perception of a "problem" for humans to wish for scientific theory that would reliably explain the natural phenomena that surrounds us. Now the fact of the matter is that the theory with by far the strongest power to explain what we observe in the planet's climate is that which has been dubbed in these discussions "AGW." Even if the variations are "natural" we'd like a theory which helps us understand the causes and effects in order to have some predictive ability - and this is more than merely theoretical, as a great many businesses are making bets based on climate predictions (big ag, insurance, shipping, etc.). Unfortunately, we can't make very good predictions w/o incorporating human influences, via CO2 emissions.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 pm 
joker wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Derision is no substitute for falsification...if your goal is applying valid method.
And hand-waving about falsification is no substitute for more thorough critical thinking on the topic. On a separate thread I've shared multiple examples of tests which could conceivably and unambiguously falsify current AGW theory. That these don't meet your apparent requirement that we have a duplicate earth with which to run a control case for the one test you choose to focus upon does not make your argument any more compelling. I suppose this is better, though, at least from a scientific perspective, than arguments which rest on whether or not god would allow humans to spoil their home.
There is really no point in arguing with MG. Logic, and facts will not change his mind. In fact, idealogs like him typically exhibit the backfire effect, i.e. "when their deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, their beliefs get stronger.” Also, in his case there is probably a major Dunning-Kruger effect: i.e., the more incompetent a person is at a particular skill, like logical reasoning, the relatively more competent they think they are. I basically think of him as the Bill O'Reilly of NW Hikers.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 6:02 am 
CC wrote:
OK: BS&MS in ME; interdisciplinary PHD in an area of Biophysics; Post Doc @ MIT; retired UW Prof. Have had grad level courses in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and nonlinear dynamics, and have published in nonlinear dynamics/chaos.
Not a bad background, lol. I called it quits at BSME.
CC wrote:
So in conclusion: yeah I've got a chip on my shoulder. You gotta problem with that?
I suppose not. We all have our gripes I guess.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 6:05 am 
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text This article pokes fun at Portland for voting down another consensus, water fluoridation. Does anybody have a strong opinion one way or the other on fluoridation?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 7:28 am 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
Does anybody have a strong opinion one way or the other on fluoridation?
This guy does:

Lionel Mandrake

Lionel Mandrake
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:43 am 
free non-fluoridated water available here: