Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Interesting article by Scott Adam's on science
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 am 
One of the great movie scenes! I grew up with fluoridated water (actually when we moved away from it, my mom added a fluoride pill to our morning breakfast). A dentist told me that it sure seemed to help prevent decay for me but also made my teeth both harder and more brittle. Sure enough as I've aged my main dental health issue has been with cracked teeth - though this may be more due to an occluded bite (heavy wear on the molars).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 12:13 pm 
love how this thread devolved into yet another argument about global warming. seems the subject of the article cited in the first post was long ago forgotten. doesn't really matter what it is - whether it's diet and fitness or global warming or fluoridation or vaccines or wolves or bears or trees or Ginger or Mary Ann - people will believe what they want to believe based on their own ideology regardless of what kind of evidence is provided to them. you can lead a horse to water too.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 1:18 pm 
But it is a very current example of questions about how folks in our society relate to science, and thus a nice microcosm of what's invoked by the OP...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
quite true, and I am starting to believe that we all have our own little built-in belief system that keeps us from accepting "science" (and/or "fact"). (same applies to Ginger or Mary Ann) wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 4:52 pm 
So no one has an open mind? Dammit, I guess I need to stop reading and trying to learn. I already know it all!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm 
well..... I'm sure there are people out there somewhere with open minds who can actually evaluate stuff objectively... but it sure doesn't look like they make up the majority of posters in this thread!

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm 
As a scientist and former science teacher, I've wryly noted that we scientists ourselves are often guilty of the same sort of closed-minded resistance to unexpected new ideas that we decry. A couple prominent examples of major ideas introduced "ahead of their time" that met widespread scorn despite strong supporting empirical data: Ignaz Semmelwies Even much later, as Candice Millard in The Destiny of the Republic notes re. the iatrogenic sepsis that killed President Garfield, American doctors incredulously scoffed at Lister's ideas of aseptic surgery (then accepted in Europe): "...why, he would have us believe that we are immersed in an invisible sea of microsscopic 'germs'!" [good read BTW] Alfred Wegener Continental Drift He had like 6 independent lines of evidence, but you can imagine the difficulty of persuading people that continents float around on a fluid like scum on a roiling soup; the idea did not gain much acceptance until post WWII ocean floor mapping and geomagnetism mapping across seafloor spreading sites. Darwin's theory of Evolution, OTOH, was widely anticipated -- although he sat on it for awhile, he finally published to avoid being scooped by Wallace -- and, ironically, Robert Fitzroy (captain of the Beagle and a biblical fundamentalist) had invited a naturalist on his voyage in hopes of accumulating data to refute the notions of evolution that were circulating at the time (the voyage began at the end of 1831). [The Voyage of the Beagle is also a good read, mostly just a travelogue.] Scientists are not immune to pigheadedness.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Mar 19, 2015 8:29 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Scientists are not immune to pigheadedness.
And, let's not forget the example we have right here in Eastern Washington. Bretz had almost overwhelming evidence of a flood and spent most of his life getting geologists of the day to even consider the idea.

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 am 
Since this has drifted I Think science is becoming more consolodateded with technology. Medicine is science or not? I had a complete knee replacement one year a go. I went to the hospital at 8 on the couch by 9 the same day. Therapy in one week and hiked over a 8 mile loop. Just 5 weeks after. If not science a incredible advance in technology.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You cannot ignore that many "studies" are commercial efforts masquerading as science.
No, they're POLITICAL efforts. Notice how they say all these "problems" with the environment. climate, etc can only be solved if we vote for a certain party. In fact, they say if we only voted for them to begin with these "problems" wouldnt even exist in the first place.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Mar 28, 2015 6:43 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Einstein solved that problem but he died not liking or completely understanding quantum mechanics.
This is why Einstein did not like quantum mechanics.